• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Is the cost higher because it's a private enterprise close to Indy? Atterbury as we know is $6/lane per hour. Huntington at Rousch Lake is $4/pp/day with $80 annual pass. Does the state subsidize these?

Guy, we're not trying to critique your business practices, but I'm curious if you're only invested in the weekend hours or if you are in charge all week. If all week, one would think iMPD contract would be the stable presence to pay all exenses and the public portion is gravy. OR, the city uses their licensing of the facility as a negotiating point to get themselves a better rate during the week so you have to make it up on weekends.

I would not spend four gallons of gas to hit atterbury if I lived in Indy to save $12. That being said, the price still seems high. Range passes for $7.5/each with a 10-pack would make me expect more of a $12-15 price point. I dunno, convenience charge and location, location, location maybe.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Is the cost higher because it's a private enterprise close to Indy? Atterbury as we know is $6/lane per hour. Huntington at Rousch Lake is $4/pp/day with $80 annual pass. Does the state subsidize these?

Guy, we're not trying to critique your business practices, but I'm curious if you're only invested in the weekend hours or if you are in charge all week. If all week, one would think iMPD contract would be the stable presence to pay all exenses and the public portion is gravy. OR, the city uses their licensing of the facility as a negotiating point to get themselves a better rate during the week so you have to make it up on weekends.

I would not spend four gallons of gas to hit atterbury if I lived in Indy to save $12. That being said, the price still seems high. Range passes for $7.5/each with a 10-pack would make me expect more of a $12-15 price point. I dunno, convenience charge and location, location, location maybe.

TFT only operates the range on weekends. The prices are necessarily the same as they were at ECPR last year and the beginning of this season - when the range was operated by Indy Parks. Next year, I expect to have the contractual latitude to set my own prices.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Is the cost higher because it's a private enterprise close to Indy? Atterbury as we know is $6/lane per hour.

Additionally, even setting aside the value of our season pass ($120 for unlimited visits) and ten visit pass ($75 - or $7.50/per) we're already comparable with Atterbury and a hell of a lot cheaper than Pop Guns - a better comparison because it's in Indy. $25 is good for all day shooting at ECPR - if you only stay 4 hours at Atturbury you've spent the same amount. Pop Guns was $18/hour the last time I shot there, although I've heard that's increased. And ECPR is fully supervised by range safety officers - averaging one RSO per three shooters on the firing line. That alone has significant value to most shooters I know.

And if you only want to shoot for an hour - you can do that for $15, or $10 each with 2 shooters on one lane. To me, that's a great value - particularly when a range is dedicating the resources to shooter safety that we are.

We had a great turnout this weekend, and we had a lot of fun - and I didn't hear anyone complaining about the prices. I think that's a pretty good indication that ECPR is a great value.

Guy

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    TFT, is this really optimal placement for the clearning barrel? The old spot at least had a brick wall.

rangeandcatJ.JPG

Granted I am only looking at a photo, but are you not in potential danger of having someone sending a round into something soft and fleshy in the parking lot or coming off the firing line?

If you have to have a cold range because of the lowest common denominator of the gun skills on display at a public range, I applaud you for having a barrel, but should it not have a proper backstop?:dunno:

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    The reason the range isn't available on weekdays is because it is used as the firearms training facility for the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. Years ago, the range was open to the public on Friday afternoons and evenings, but the volume of police training at the range has increased since then, so IMPD requires access to the range for all five days of the work week.

So if I become a police officer for IMPD, can I come on weekdays? lol

~LT

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Glad to hear This is opening again. It's close to home so it will be very nice. I hope to see a hourly rate though. Thank again for all of your work to get this place reopened.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Very good to hear indeed... I have 6 visits left on my 10-pass.

Any chance one of the bays will allow the use of steel targets? (owner-supplied of course)

a) spinners and such placed farther down range for .22LR practice
    b) steel plate for handgun caliber

Oh... and father's day is coming... sounds like a good day to get away for a bit.

I look forward to many classes being offered there as well!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    TFT, is this really optimal placement for the clearning barrel? The old spot at least had a brick wall.

Granted I am only looking at a photo, but are you not in potential danger of having someone sending a round into something soft and fleshy in the parking lot or coming off the firing line?

If you have to have a cold range because of the lowest common denominator of the gun skills on display at a public range, I applaud you for having a barrel, but should it not have a proper backstop?:dunno:

Kirk - it's a valid question. I requested the new barrel but IMPD actually placed it and chose the location. We're looking at our options. This is actually a new barrel - the other barrel is still in place (next to the brick wall) and is also still used.

Of course, both barrels are only there as back-up, since we ask that no one bring loaded firearms onto the property - as reflected in our Rules & Regulations. Still, we want to be fully prepared for the folks that don't get the word on that policy before they come out.

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Very good to hear indeed... I have 6 visits left on my 10-pass.

Any chance one of the bays will allow the use of steel targets? (owner-supplied of course)

a) spinners and such placed farther down range for .22LR practice
    b) steel plate for handgun caliber

Oh... and father's day is coming... sounds like a good day to get away for a bit.

I look forward to many classes being offered there as well!

Yes, you can definitely bring steel targets out - our Rules & Regulations just ask that you place them at the 50-yard marker or beyond. (The berm is at 60 yards.)

We look forward to seeing you out there!

Guy

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    it's a valid question. IMPD actually placed the new barrel and chose the location, and we're looking at the possibility of moving it.

Hopefully IMPD will reconsider their site selection.

Sorry to be all whiny and safety concerned, but:

1. It is my job and INGO's Safety Ninny, er, Nanny.

2. It will only take one tragic incident and we can kiss ECPR good bye.

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Hopefully IMPD will reconsider their site selection.

Sorry to be all whiny and safety concerned, but:

1. It is my job and INGO's Safety Ninny, er, Nanny.

2. It will only take one tragic incident and we can kiss ECPR good bye.

No one is more focused on safety at ECPR than I am - and IMPD runs a very tight operation out there as well. The only reason we have a clearing barrel (now two - since the original barrel is still in place) is to promote and enhance safety. Still, we're always looking to improve, which is why we're still evaluating our options.

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Glad to hear it. I was just concerned over the potential for goofiness.

I am sorry if I caused any heartburn.

No worries. We are totally on the same page. I'd like to make ECPR available to the public for a very long time. In fact, I'd like to greatly increase the access to the range for both public shooting and training opportunities. But, like you said, the only way that is going to happen is if we keep it as safe as possible.

I appreciate your insight, Kirk.

Guy

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I appreciate your insight, Kirk.

Trying to help, not throw grenades. Understand that I have witnessed several firearms discharge upon loading and unloading in gun school, including an 870 at Shootrite in my own paw (have I told that story on INGO?).:D

I thought I was a safety martinet and then I sent a load of Remington #00 into a big hill in Alabama upon loading an 870 and then I REALLY became a gun safety martinet.

No facial expressions or tones over the Intertubes. I am certain that you will work it out with IMPD.

Last edited:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    First, I'm glad to see the range open up again as I still have 9 visits left on a pass. I'm looking forward to having it punched again.

Second, I appreciate the effort you are making to listen to the suggestions of your customers. It is really great to see.

Now, no matter what you do, you will never please everyone. It's just not possible. However, you've made the effort to do what's best and we do see that and appreciate it.

Given that, I will be there soon. The only thing left in my mind is still the issue of extra shooters sharing a single lane. If I have to have my card punched twice, I will use two lanes so that both of us can shoot at the same time. If the extra shooter on one lane is only $5 or so, then I would only take one lane and share.

No matter what, I'll still be out. I know it can be tough to come up with rules that are fair to all and profitable for the range.

Glad to see it all coming together though.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    First, I'm glad to see the range open up again as I still have 9 visits left on a pass. I'm looking forward to having it punched again.

Second, I appreciate the effort you are making to listen to the suggestions of your customers. It is really great to see.

Now, no matter what you do, you will never please everyone. It's just not possible. However, you've made the effort to do what's best and we do see that and appreciate it.

Given that, I will be there soon. The only thing left in my mind is still the issue of extra shooters sharing a single lane. If I have to have my card punched twice, I will use two lanes so that both of us can shoot at the same time. If the extra shooter on one lane is only $5 or so, then I would only take one lane and share.

No matter what, I'll still be out. I know it can be tough to come up with rules that are fair to all and profitable for the range.

Glad to see it all coming together though.

I appreciate your comments! As you know, I agreed with suggestions about the need to offer discounts for two shooters on one lane, so we now have "lane sharing" discounts for both all-day shooting and one-hour shooting. I'll have to think about the scenario that you describe - a shooter with a 10-visit pass who brings a guest or family member. For now, we'll still just punch the card twice, and the shooters will have the option of using two lanes or sharing a lane. That's not too different than charging another $5 for the second shooter, since each visit is only costing $7.50 per visit on the pass anyway.

But I do appreciate your input!!

And I hope to meet you when you come out to ECPR. (I'll be the 6'4" bald guy.) :)

Guy

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Went to Eagle Creek for a couple hours this morning.

Kudos to the Tactical team. They are doing a great job. Oh, and the clearing barrel has been moved.

I look forward to more visits and some training there.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    My son and I went today for a hour. Its a nice place.

We were shooting my new 10/22.

I think I lost another gun, to him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom