• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    For you guys that raise chickens in town, do you have rat problems? Growing up ag we grain fed a number of animals, and always had trouble with rats.
    We're Rural here...no rats but plenty of mice!

I gathered eggs a bit ago and this unusual specimen was in there. Never had anything quite like this before.

20240718_161012.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Strawberries been done for awhile now. Been eating cherry tomatoes for a few weeks now. Have harvested green beans. Have few cukes ready, with plenty more to come. Peppers are growing and some of the other mater plants are loaded and huge but all still green at this point. Raspberries will be coming in the no to distant future

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Good. Ground hogs just suck. I think I have 5 this year, way down from last year.
    We had groundhogs last year for the first time, a mother and two babies. They did a job on sweet potato vines, and they got every one of the beets, but they ended up moving to my neighbor's place before I had a chance to trap them. We got a dog last fall, and I put up a fence around my perimeter. I was hoping he'd be good at varmint control, and he seems to be. No groundhogs, but he's gotten one rabbit, two shrews, and two garter snakes. Actually, he didn't kill the snakes. In both cases I found him playing with what looked like a dead snake, only to find that they came back to life about an hour after I took them away from him.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We had groundhogs last year for the first time, a mother and two babies. They did a job on sweet potato vines, and they got every one of the beets, but they ended up moving to my neighbor's place before I had a chance to trap them. We got a dog last fall, and I put up a fence around my perimeter. I was hoping he'd be good at varmint control, and he seems to be. No groundhogs, but he's gotten one rabbit, two shrews, and two garter snakes. Actually, he didn't kill the snakes. In both cases I found him playing with what looked like a dead snake, only to find that they came back to life about an hour after I took them away from him.
    Every year is a constant battle. Last year was a record kill with 12 or 13. I have one that I spotted yesterday, so I reset the Conibear.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Headed out about 8:30 am today to water and checked on the garden. The bees were literally battling over who would access the pumpkin flowers! Then they decided *I* was a threat and came after me! :):

That being the case, me and my hose made a tactical retreat and decided to water around 1 pm instead...also put down some phosphorous just now. (not white phosphorous, just the garden helping kind...)

Let's hope the bees are as adamant when the lady flowers appear! :D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I hadn’t read what you said, I would have guessed zucchini.
    i wonder if your acorn was a hybrid variety, in which case, who knows.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I hadn’t read what you said, I would have guessed zucchini.
    i wonder if your acorn was a hybrid variety, in which case, who knows.

They seem awful rounded vs long? Not sure they are getting any longer either? I need to watch them for at least a day or two more, otherwise I'd slice into one now.

Thanks!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Some quick picks as things are coming in waves.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.jpeg
      IMG_0337.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 4
    • IMG_0336.jpeg
      IMG_0336.jpeg
      857.7 KB · Views: 4
    • IMG_0335.jpeg
      IMG_0335.jpeg
      1 MB · Views: 4
    • IMG_0334.jpeg
      IMG_0334.jpeg
      735.4 KB · Views: 5
    • IMG_0333.jpeg
      IMG_0333.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 5
    • IMG_0291.jpeg
      IMG_0291.jpeg
      453 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_0258.jpeg
      IMG_0258.jpeg
      995.9 KB · Views: 4
    • IMG_0257.jpeg
      IMG_0257.jpeg
      978.3 KB · Views: 4
    • IMG_0271.jpeg
      IMG_0271.jpeg
      964.8 KB · Views: 4
    • IMG_0270.jpeg
      IMG_0270.jpeg
      900.2 KB · Views: 4

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Been a surprisingly down year at the Percolater household. Peach trees look sick, vines aren’t producing what we normally get, and worst of all the pumpkin patch looks abysmal. As long as I get 2-3 ratatouille’s, and some blackberry pies I’ll call it a success! IMG_5320.jpeg

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Saw female flowers on the pumpkins for the first time this afternoon. Hoping the bees do their thing. I'd hand pollinate, but feel the bee traffic has been strong, so I'm going to trust them.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks, to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Heads up folks. Out mowing roadsides and noticed an old car parked near where my neighbor hides his sweet corn, out in a corn field. About 8 rows in. So I just mowed on up there. They heard me coming and came out of the corn. I asked them if they had car problems, they said they had to relieve themselves. 3 20 something’s. I know that sweet corn would be gone in a couple days. I put a note on his truck, I’ll follow up tonight with a phone call.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Started a garden this year, haven’t been in a garden since a kid in the 70’s. I usually have a few tomatoe plants along house but that’s been it. 130 corns stalks, watermelon, radishes, 28 tomatoe plants, planted 4 packages of green beans but only one packet came up. Radishes did great, and we just started eating seeetcorn yesterday. Hoping in 70 qts of tomatoe juice this year. We did get 6 qts greenbeans.

The wind and rain literally layed corn down several times! I shoveled mud and lifted each stalked and stomped with foot to keep them upright several times over several days. Too much work but it paid off.

IMG_4723.jpegIMG_4721.jpeg

Top Bottom