• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So our range is set up from bad breath distance 3 yards to 7 yards, 30 and 75 yards. I really do not like paper targets, they get left behind and often leave a mess to be cleaned up. So we have gongs ranging from 6 to 12 inches in size. I don’t really have fancy equipment just areas that contain cover and concealment to walk to and shoot around. Typically I will draw from concealment and fire . I don’t use shot timers etc. just basically will practice point shooting as well as rapid aimed fire . Usually I will go through about 200 rounds twice a month along with practicing draw and dry fire .

Anything else you would consider adding

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    So our range is set up from bad breath distance 3 yards to 7 yards, 30 and 75 yards. I really do not like paper targets, they get left behind and often leave a mess to be cleaned up. So we have gongs ranging from 6 to 12 inches in size. I don’t really have fancy equipment just areas that contain cover and concealment to walk to and shoot around. Typically I will draw from concealment and fire . I don’t use shot timers etc. just basically will practice point shooting as well as rapid aimed fire . Usually I will go through about 200 rounds twice a month along with practicing draw and dry fire .

Get a timer.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The downside with steel is you generally only get a gong and while you can see impact on fresh painted ones you can’t score them.

So I am a huge advocate of running B8 targets (targets4free you can print tme for free) and the many many assessment drills on them with a timer.

I use par time drills as if you can keep a solid score within the right reasonable par times consistently you are good and move on to something else getting more and more challenging. However keep checking yourself frequently

It’s usually anywhere from 2 1/2 to 25 yards and they separate the kids from the adults

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think you could benefit from shooting some local pistol competitions.

Learn what years and years of seasoned shooters put to practice in the way of all aspects of pistol shooting.

I have seen many home range shooters show up at their first local match to show off their skills, only to discover they have missed a whole lot by not doing it sooner.

From targets to equipment to safety, there is a lot to be learned from those who have done this for years and years. Those who know what works best from their experiences.

:twocents:

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Baloons? Fruit or veggies!
    I occasionally shoot wooden stakes. The object is to cut/break it in half.
    Sounds like fun, until you set that precedent and then other do that kind of thing and walk away, leaving a huge mess. And flies. And smell.
    "Hey we should use tannerite to blow up a car at your range" no, you shouldn't.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

I'll second playing with a timer. Lots of fun and learning, mostly what you thought you knew but didn't. It's not like you have to use it. You don't even have to go fast, just do your usual course of fire and set a benchmark. Then do it with a reload. Then do it in winter clothes. Etc.

I'm surprised I'm the first to say this as I'm usually the last to bring up safety, but you're shooting steel at 3 yards? Somthins' gonna happen. I'm pretty comfortable at 7 and 10 but I've been hit with ricochets a few times and know there's a risk.

I enjoy paper and don't mind the bit of cleanup. I have some good quality targets that I can leave up until they're shot up, pretty rain resistant.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I'll second playing with a timer. Lots of fun and learning, mostly what you thought you knew but didn't. It's not like you have to use it. You don't even have to go fast, just do your usual course of fire and set a benchmark. Then do it with a reload. Then do it in winter clothes. Etc.

I'm surprised I'm the first to say this as I'm usually the last to bring up safety, but you're shooting steel at 3 yards? Somthins' gonna happen. I'm pretty comfortable at 7 and 10 but I've been hit with ricochets a few times and know there's a risk.

I enjoy paper and don't mind the bit of cleanup. I have some good quality targets that I can leave up until they're shot up, pretty rain resistant.
    The 3 yard one is actually some type of composite says it’s self healing which I think means you can reuse it for a while before it’s no good. It’s on a steel frame and is reactionary.

Does one use a timer for drawing? Seems like it would almost have to be on body to work ?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    The 3 yard one is actually some type of composite says it’s self healing which I think means you can reuse it for a while before it’s no good. It’s on a steel frame and is reactionary.
    Excellent.
    Does one use a timer for drawing? Seems like it would almost have to be on body to work ?
    You can use it in whatever ways your imagination can come up with.
    Of course most people are thinking about self defense, and drawing and getting on target is a huge part of that.
    But you can use it from low ready, or from sights on target, which is surprisingly fun. Or at least educational, measuring your pure reaction time.

The other thing that’s very telling is how much longer it takes to make a shot at a longer distance. When you move from 3 to 5 to 7, you’re probably adding a fraction of a second, but going out farther gets exponentially slower.

Most set the timer up to go beep in a randomized range of time after the buttons pushed, so you can push the button and have time to return your hands to the side, or get to low ready, or whatever your doing.
    The timer just has to be in the neighborhood, sensitivity is generally adjustable.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Excellent.

You can use it in whatever ways your imagination can come up with.
    Of course most people are thinking about self defense, and drawing and getting on target is a huge part of that.
    But you can use it from low ready, or from sights on target, which is surprisingly fun. Or at least educational, measuring your pure reaction time.

The other thing that’s very telling is how much longer it takes to make a shot at a longer distance. When you move from 3 to 5 to 7, you’re probably adding a fraction of a second, but going out farther gets exponentially slower.

Most set the timer up to go beep in a randomized range of time after the buttons pushed, so you can push the button and have time to return your hands to the side, or get to low ready, or whatever your doing.
    The timer just has to be in the neighborhood, sensitivity is generally adjustable.
    Wonder if they make one that vibrates or has a light , even with implants there are things that will not register.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...You can use it in whatever ways your imagination can come up with.
    But you can use it from low ready, or from sights on target, which is surprisingly fun. Or at least educational, measuring your pure reaction time...

Just the presence of the timer and it's use is a motivation to look at things that might be ignored or glossed over.

"Go time" is a real thing that folks who don't shoot under the pressure of a timer often don't realize. Regardless of good or not so good times, the regular use of the timer conditions the mind and the muscle action to tune to each other. Drawing to shoot "at the beginning of the beep" rather than reacting to the whole sound is a race that practiced competition shooters run whether they even realize they are doing so or not.

Translate that to self defense class and the shooter on the line with draw timer experience will nearly always be noticeably ahead of the rest of the line of shooters. Even with no "beep," the the GO or UP or FIGHT start signal is the same.

:twocents:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

Start signal LED, bright white 850mcd LED can be used for an alternative start signal. Excellent for hearing impaired or a private practice session. This can be disabled via the menu settings

There are quite a few options in the market now.

If your implant connects to blue tooth, there are versions with Bluetooth connectivity.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Start signal LED, bright white 850mcd LED can be used for an alternative start signal. Excellent for hearing impaired or a private practice session. This can be disabled via the menu settings

There are quite a few options in the market now.

If your implant connects to blue tooth, there are versions with Bluetooth connectivity.
    Thanks . It has not been that long and I am still in the learning curve phase. They’re Bluetooth capable, but I think I like the idea of an alternative light signal.

Top Bottom