• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I wish I'd have thought to record this trellis failure with a picture. I'm normally better about that sort of stuff, but I picked it up and couldn't let go until it was better secured.

Wind took this thing down. It was unnervingly rickety, obviously not sturdy enough. Hopefully sured it up long enough to sneak these squash closer to maturity?

View attachment 370005
    They sure look healthy ! ................Powdery mildew got to most of mine . .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They sure look healthy ! ................Powdery mildew got to most of mine . .

Woke up this morning to find the trellis toppled the other way. :xmad:

If there's good news to this, beyond learning the weak-assed trellis is not adequate, it looks as though no roots were pulled out of the ground.

This will be a test to see if the plant can live on the ground after going through all of that? Also whether the butternecks that broke off will mature off the vine and still be edible?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Picked another bucket of green beans. This is called Cherokee Trail of Tears. I have saved my seeds for many years. They are a pole bean. They bear well. It is a large bean. They sometimes get a purplish cast. it is a black bean when mature.
    View attachment 370082
    One year, I grew several different kinds of beans, some for green beans, and some for dried beans. It turned out to be a poor year in my garden, with too much rain early, then brutally hot and dry later. The Cherokee Trail of Tears beans were the only ones that persevered and produced really well. I don't think I picked any as green beans. I let them dry and they were black when they dried. Good beans, I need to try them again.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    One coon has been released into a city environment a few miles away. (I told him Tuesday was trash day go do trash panda things) so far not much damage in the corn but it was not light when I went to work this morning. We have lots around and the neighbors corn seemed to get it worse than mine.

Canning has started. Some pickled items and salsa. Jalapeño poppers have been frozen but will not last long.

Big pasta sauce canning is coming up and we have been finding the items we need getting ready.

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpeg
      IMG_0415.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 5
    • IMG_0416.jpeg
      IMG_0416.jpeg
      698.1 KB · Views: 5
    • IMG_0419.jpeg
      IMG_0419.jpeg
      941.8 KB · Views: 5
    • IMG_0420.jpeg
      IMG_0420.jpeg
      410.7 KB · Views: 5

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    One year, I grew several different kinds of beans, some for green beans, and some for dried beans. It turned out to be a poor year in my garden, with too much rain early, then brutally hot and dry later. The Cherokee Trail of Tears beans were the only ones that persevered and produced really well. I don't think I picked any as green beans. I let them dry and they were black when they dried. Good beans, I need to try them again.
    every year they have done pretty well for me.
    I need to get out when it dries some and pick my brown greasy beans. They are bearing really heavy this year. They are a small bean comparatively. I am thinking about doing some shuck beans with them.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    A question for asparagus folks out there.
    My asparagus bed is overgrown with weeds while I wait for the ferns to die back.
    Anyone see any issues with going ahead and cutting back the asparagus ferns now instead of waiting till late fall ?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A question for asparagus folks out there.
    My asparagus bed is overgrown with weeds while I wait for the ferns to die back.
    Anyone see any issues with going ahead and cutting back the asparagus ferns now instead of waiting till late fall ?
    If your plants are older (5 years or more) and have had good soil and been free of the dreaded asparagus beetles then you can cut the back now and be ok.

What is above the ground now is making the roots stronger and good roots are the key. If removing the ferns now so you can weed and improve the soil then the worst that can happen is you hamper the root growth for 80 days.

If it is a bed under 5 years old I would keep them as long as possible and let them grow those roots.

Strawberry's work well with asparagus as one has shallow roots and one deep. I uses the every berry types under mine as they don't make as many runners as the June berries. The only thing I really put them in for is to shade the soil and keep weeds from taking over the patch.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    If your plants are older (5 years or more) and have had good soil and been free of the dreaded asparagus beetles then you can cut the back now and be ok.

What is above the ground now is making the roots stronger and good roots are the key. If removing the ferns now so you can weed and improve the soil then the worst that can happen is you hamper the root growth for 80 days.

If it is a bed under 5 years old I would keep them as long as possible and let them grow those roots.

Strawberry's work well with asparagus as one has shallow roots and one deep. I uses the every berry types under mine as they don't make as many runners as the June berries. The only thing I really put them in for is to shade the soil and keep weeds from taking over the patch.
    Thanks a bunch for the advise ! This asparagus bed is over 10 years old so I'll go ahead and cut them down and clear the weeds.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Pasta sauce and the ever growing stockpile of tomatoes awaiting processing.
    Nice. If your making stew tomatoes also, i found years ago it is much easier to freeze the whole tomatoes and when ready to use or process, run under hot water to remove the skins. They pretty much slide right off up to the stem part. I freeze and then vac n seal until I'm ready to make chili with them.

Top Bottom