• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Thanks for the freezer idea. If I can not keep up I will do just that but I also stock up on meat so my freezers don't have lots of room.

The San marzano tomatoes seem to make the pasta sauce much thicker quicker than the Amish paste.
    I just do it like grandma did.
    Plan was to get 52 quarts of pasta sauce but I have been invaded by squash bugs and I just been oils them.
    I think they got attracted to open compost pile and then invasion to garden was on. I might even break out the vacuum

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      504.4 KB · Views: 1
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      234.8 KB · Views: 1

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    A question for asparagus folks out there.
    My asparagus bed is overgrown with weeds while I wait for the ferns to die back.
    Anyone see any issues with going ahead and cutting back the asparagus ferns now instead of waiting till late fall ?
    If you want to cut them now, I'm sure they'll be fine if they're otherwise healthy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Anybody have tips on canning the red, yellow, orange sweet peppers? The gardener tried using her method she uses on pickles, but the peppers just tasted like pickles. Read on the internet about people canning them in tomato juice, thought I might consult our local professionals. We are eating them, but are being outpaced rapidly. The two test plants in the greenhouse are as 6 feet tall and producing a lot.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Anybody have tips on canning the red, yellow, orange sweet peppers? The gardener tried using her method she uses on pickles, but the peppers just tasted like pickles. Read on the internet about people canning them in tomato juice, thought I might consult our local professionals. We are eating them, but are being outpaced rapidly. The two test plants in the greenhouse are as 6 feet tall and producing a lot.
    No tips on those. YouTube is my go too for canning. Wealth of info from many people.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I either lacto-ferment them or run them through the dehydrator.

If you have canning jars and fridge space for storage, it doesn't cost much to try lacto-fermenting. Salt and water. Seasonings, if you prefer.
    You can ferment with just that, but the fermenting lids and weights are convenient and easy, making the process fairly hands off.

20240826_210649.jpg

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just walked by the zucchini patch and seen another batch ready to slice and still growing. Always the argument on how big to let them get before slicing. For my purposes bigger zucchini means higher yields

I like and eat zucchini by itself, but the main reason I grow it is to dehydrate it and process it into flour for cooking. I don't eat grains anymore and the zucchini flour replaces it.

The problem with bigger zucchini is that they are a bit awkward to slice for the dehydrator efficiently. I started another thread about first aid, after letting my pinky somehow get into the mandolin cutter blade...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    So you grind the dried zucchini and then grind it into flour? How much starch is in zucchini?

Curious as it's never hard to grow, but about all I do with it is bread it and fry it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So you grind the dried zucchini and then grind it into flour? How much starch is in zucchini?

Curious as it's never hard to grow, but about all I do with it is bread it and fry it.

I run the dried chips through the Ninja blender.

I had to look it up on the starch, but zucchini is a non starchy vegetable. That's good, as I'm looking for low carb. Starch turns into sugar/carbs in the body, which is why I sadly cannot have potatoes.

Zucchini is more of a struggle to grow here. Gotta outrun/outnumber the bugs, virus and mildew here.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I pick my zucchini small. I think they taste better. I get maybe a good 4-6 week run per planting and normally after a single planting of two to three plants I have eaten my years worth and all my relatives and neighbors must get tired of me bringing the zucchini over to them. The vine borers and then stink bugs love them plants but the wife like them because she thinks the plant is pretty.

If my goal was to make flour with them I guess I would plant as many as I could dehydrate at once time wait 4 weeks for a second run and another 4 weeks for a third. All in three corners of the garden to at least confuse the vine borer insects. I would think if you got an eary start on the first plants you could do four plantings a year with our days of growth before frost but the first and second plantings might come on at about the same time unless you can semi greenhouse the first planting toget it off to a good start. If you just let nature take it’s time your first and 4 week later plantings will flower at the same time in late spring.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Made a first batch of wine from the yellow raspberries, so far so good. We are just getting started with them after growing a few in the greenhouse last year.

Top Bottom