• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I'm having much better onion results in full sun this year. A few smaller mixed in with some very good ones...

View attachment 362177
    These are the sweet candies, just beginning to fall over. The walla walla's are still upright and a bit bigger.
    Nice. Seems early as mine walla wallas don’t seem to start making bulbs till about now. Same with my sweet yellow Spanish.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I'm having much better onion results in full sun this year. A few smaller mixed in with some very good ones...

View attachment 362177
    These are the sweet candies, just beginning to fall over. The walla walla's are still upright and a bit bigger.
    Those are some beauties ...........
    I only planted "Pattersons " this year . A yellow onion with one of the highest storing potential .

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I'm thinking I'll wait a week or so longer on the garlic harvest? I just pulled a couple more fresh scapes yesterday. I have some browning on the leaves, but it's not necessarily coming from the ground up. Hoping the cloves are still growing after scape removal?
    I think it was close to a month ago when I cut our scapes off ............I usually wait until about 4 or so leaves turn brown before I harvest mine and stop watering about a week before also .

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm thinking I normally end up harvesting garlic in the 2nd week of July. I'm going to let mine go until I see more brown on the leaves.

I got most of my stuff out late this year. Tomatoes look really good, but only a couple little green ones on them now.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have harvested my first tomatoes from a variety called Fourth of July. They are about 4 or 5 time the size of a cherry and the plants did not get very big. I mean I like a good early tomato but they are pretty small even for early mature dates.

the san Marino and Amish paste doing great and I have some baseballish size tomatoes as green now but they are the long Roma shape so not really baseballs.

cherrys sweet millions are starting to get yellow, Cherokee purple’s actually look good this year normally they look rather stunted.

I will be planting this weekend or next. Second crop of sweet corn and third try on green beans, some beets And a new patch or carrots.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Everything got in late this year, started from scratch at the new house. Mixed lettuce has been cut several times and am getting the first cucumbers and banana peppers. Other peppers, tomatoes, pickling cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, and broccoli are coming on well. Watermelon and pumpkin are behind but growing, hopefully they produce something.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Pretty proud of myself this year. Got all of the Red Candies in fermentation.

20240704_163523.jpg

There's another couple in on the shelf to make a couple gallons.

20240704_155916.jpg

I never make enough of these to last a year. And too often I put off the chore, "hardening them off," knowing that reds start trying to rot the minute you pull them.

Last edited:

XDdreams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Summer crops are growing away! Can't wait for fresh tomatoes. With any luck all of the flowers on the tomatoes will pollinate and it will be a bumper year. I've been tapping the stems near the flower clusters just in case.

The squash plants are in over drive and producing vigorously. Eggplants are starting to flower now. Peppers aren't far behind.

Attachments

• 20240705_064331.jpg
      20240705_064331.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 6

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got my peas, mustard greens and most of the lettuce pulled up. Some of the lettuce still hasn’t gone to seed. I am getting more squash than I want right now, but it looks like 2 plants are already dying. I am picking some peppers every couple of days. I should have enough green beans from the white half runners for my first mess. Pole beans not blooming yet. Corn is looking great. Couple weeks and I may be picking some. Need to cut some kale and collards.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Nice setup!
    Thanks. Developed the raised garden area over the last 5 years and the fabric covered garden and trellises just this year. Learning a lot from this thread, books and even YouTube.

If anyone is considering electric fence, these little 2 mile solar fence chargers from Rural King work good for a garden. I used poly wire which was easy to work with. Hadn't been around electric fence since growing up on a farm and having some cattle.

Decided to test my new setup by touching the wire and wasn't much of a shock. Apparently modern shoes are good insulators as I remember it being a painful shock when I was young. Why? My Dad still uses those old 70's chargers on his garden and he's had a raccoon, turkey and goose get shocked then bite the wire. He found them dead the next day.

So back to my setup...I pop off my Keen "insulator" shoe and touch the wire to test the system and it shocks/grounds me good. It hurt badly. That's the story of how smart I am. :cool: I "then" buy a tester and this little solar charger is putting out 9000 volts!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Thanks. Developed the raised garden area over the last 5 years and the fabric covered garden and trellises just this year. Learning a lot from this thread, books and even YouTube.

If anyone is considering electric fence, these little 2 mile solar fence chargers from Rural King work good for a garden. I used poly wire which was easy to work with. Hadn't been around electric fence since growing up on a farm and having some cattle.

Decided to test my new setup by touching the wire and wasn't much of a shock. Apparently modern shoes are good insulators as I remember it being a painful shock when I was young. Why? My Dad still uses those old 70's chargers on his garden and he's had a raccoon, turkey and goose get shocked then bite the wire. He found them dead the next day.

So back to my setup...I pop off my Keen "insulator" shoe and touch the wire to test the system and it shocks/grounds me good. It hurt badly. That's the story of how smart I am. :cool: I "then" buy a tester and this little solar charger is putting out 9000 volts!
    I had momma deer in the garden last night after the fireworks. Eat the tops of tomatoes and some butter beans. Had to sic the chow chow on it to chase it away

We had been deer and rabbit free but I must get some protection going.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Things are growing well, just a bit behind the normal schedule. Getting the first of the zucchini and yellow squash. The wife has eaten a few cherry tomatoes (good for her, I can't stand raw tomato). Cucumbers and peppers are producing more, and broccoli, cauliflower, and watermelon are starting to develop.

1000004186.jpg

1000004187.jpg

1000004188.jpg
    1000004189.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Those are some beauties ...........
    I only planted "Pattersons " this year . A yellow onion with one of the highest storing potential .

I'm gonna have look into growing better storage onions. I have always liked sweet onions, but this year's bounty has me skipping and fetching to keep up with the harvest, happening at the same time as the huge garlic haul.

I kind of accidently came upon a new garlic/onion bed this year. The driveway bordering once flower bed has always grown stuff well, but also always been browsed by deer. Turns out that deer don't care for alliums, and apparently they leave winter squash alone also, the fall crop going in.

20240706_133934.jpg
    20240706_120945.jpg

:)

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Here’s a follow up pic of the glow-in-the-dark “Firefly Petunia“ six weeks later. When I first got it, it only had three or four blooms on it, now it is covered. It emits enough light in the bedroom at night to actually see around it. Bright enough to be a nightlight.

This pic was taken with an iPhone 14. I’m amazed how well it does in extremely low light.
    For reference, it is about 16" across.
    1720299841670.png

Last edited:

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Here's pics of my tomato jungle, jalapeño peppers(some about ready to pick) and the front 32ft flower bed. Honey bees are already showing and alot more blooms that will bring in alot more bees and butterflies probably towards the end of the month. If you look at the last pic with polebuilding in it, you'll see the bat house which this year only has about 15 i counted..last it year it was packed with bats at about 26.
    20240706_184547.jpg20240706_184710.jpg20240706_184757.jpg

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I'm gonna have look into growing better storage onions. I have always liked sweet onions, but this year's bounty has me skipping and fetching to keep up with the harvest, happening at the same time as the huge garlic/onion haul.

I kind of accidently came upon a new garlic/onion bed this year. The driveway bordering once flower bed has always grown stuff well, but also always been browsed by deer. Turns out that deer don't care for alliums, and apparently they leave winter squash alone also, the fall crop going in.

View attachment 364210
    View attachment 364211

:)
    Nice harvest ! .......................Onions are the only thing that we buy every year ( the rest , we start )
    Dixondale Farms is where we purchase our onion plants from . They mail them at planting time for our zone ( or whenever you want ) Lots of info on their page .

These were part of last years harvest after drying ......
    IMG_3918.JPG

Top Bottom