Full size 1911.....Kimber or Colt....why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Kimbers sales literature used to state that the plain ones got the same quality and fit as the fully enhanced models. They did shoot very well. I ended up with a middle of the road adjustable sight model. No regrets. I have not owned any new production ones but sold a bunch of them and everyone seemed happy.

The much fabled Gold Cup offering by COLT did not earn their reputation with out of the box performance, you always had to have them worked on. You definately got your money back out of them, as shooters and collectors both love the COLT name.

Never saw a Springfield 1911 that was inherently troublesome. Ten years ago my new special order Target Match Springfield came without the grip bushings staked and the rear sight fell off the first box of ammo. Sent it back and they made it right. That was a disappointment, but the problems have not been on any other I have purchased since then.

In my humble opinion, every 1911 needs a KART premium match barrel and a carefully hand fitted bushing. I am pleasantly surprised with a new 9mm RO that is very accurate out of the box. (of course I will be tweeking the hammer and sear engagment a little anyway, but that is just my habit)

greg joked about a norinco. There is a man in howard county who used a norinco frame and slide for a project when he was taking a gunsmithing course. It was trimmed out for early unlimited IPSC class style. It shot great, but no one would give him any money for it because it was a norinco. If it said COLT, people would have shelled out serious money to buy it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Colt or Kimber... Well, that depends on time of production.
    If you're talking "old school", then DEFINITELY "Colt".

In these recent years...meh. Potayto/potahto. Colt's quality in mass production leaves something to be desired.
    The finish isn't as good as it used to be, Colts are coming off the line with sharp edges and ill-fitted parts. They're in a hurry and it shows.
    Kimber, on the other hand, has stepped up their game. People will talk smack about the MIM parts, but I've never had to replace any on my four...and they've gone thousands of rounds. You'd think if something was going to go south, I'd have seen it by now.

I think your money could be spent on either and you'll find things to be happy with and unhappy with.
    That's my dinky :twocents: opinion. Worth exactly what you paid for it.

JetGirl - 2 Colts, 4 Kimbers

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Colt or Kimber... Well, that depends on time of production.
    If you're talking "old school", then DEFINITELY "Colt".

In these recent years...meh. Potayto/potahto. Colt's quality in mass production leaves something to be desired.
    The finish isn't as good as it used to be, Colts are coming off the line with sharp edges and ill-fitted parts. They're in a hurry and it shows.
    Kimber, on the other hand, has stepped up their game. People will talk smack about the MIM parts, but I've never had to replace any on my four...and they've gone thousands of rounds. You'd think if something was going to go south, I'd have seen it by now.

I think your money could be spent on either and you'll find things to be happy with and unhappy with.
    That's my dinky :twocents: opinion. Worth exactly what you paid for it.

JetGirl - 2 Colts, 4 Kimbers
    I'm with JG on this one. My experiences all the way.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    "Match" grade MIM! How else do you think they got the name...... MIMber
    Pretty funny. Actually, I don't think that there is anything wrong with MIM parts, but having compared a trigger job with MIM parts to one with tool steel parts, the tool steel parts make the trigger pull much superior. I would think that the tool steel parts would last much longer, as well, but I don't have any proof.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have owned three Kimbers. I don't think I would buy another. MIM parts and plastic mainspring housings should not be used on guns in that price range. :twocents:

I agree, but if the choice is between a Colt and Kimber, it's a moot point. Both of my Kimbers as well as my Colt came full of MIM parts with a plastic MSH. My main carry 1911 is a Kimber Compact and it still retains all of the MIM parts but I did swap the MSH out for a stainless one. The Colt got all new internals as well as a nice Ed Brown MSH. While the logical side of my brain reminds me that my Glocks are doing pretty well with plastic frames, the side of my brain that drives my 1911 fetish just does not like a plastic MSH on a 1911. It just seems kind of dirty.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pretty funny. Actually, I don't think that there is anything wrong with MIM parts, but having compared a trigger job with MIM parts to one with tool steel parts, the tool steel parts make the trigger pull much superior. I would think that the tool steel parts would last much longer, as well, but I don't have any proof.

Depending on how you cut the sear/hammer angles and how much material is removed the MIM parts may not hold up as well after the work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree, but if the choice is between a Colt and Kimber, it's a moot point. Both of my Kimbers as well as my Colt came full of MIM parts with a plastic MSH. My main carry 1911 is a Kimber Compact and it still retains all of the MIM parts but I did swap the MSH out for a stainless one. The Colt got all new internals as well as a nice Ed Brown MSH. While the logical side of my brain reminds me that my Glocks are doing pretty well with plastic frames, the side of my brain that drives my 1911 fetish just does not like a plastic MSH on a 1911. It just seems kind of dirty.

Yeah buddy.....:)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Depending on how you cut the sear/hammer angles and how much material is removed the MIM parts may not hold up as well after the work.
    I agree that the MIM parts probably aren't as durable as tool steel. The Loaded that I have that has MIM parts has held up to a couple of thousand trigger pulls, so far. The trigger has always been slightly spongy compared to the Trophy Match that I have with tool steel parts.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Dang you, INGO! Today I found myself searching for Dan Wesson 1911s online! IF I ever do start carrying a 1911, I'd really like one with the bobtail. I like the looks of the Guardian, but I have not had great experience with 1911 9mms.

I have and don't let internet fodder tell you that they don't work. (However, I don't know what kind of issues you had with them to not have a great experience.)

They put a smile on everyone's face that I have ever had shoot mine. I get the whole recoil junkie thing, but I also know a lot of those recoil junkies shooting powder puff loads through their larger caliber pistols at matches.

If you go with a reputable mfr, I can't imagine they would not stand behind the gun to get it right if you have problems.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Dang you, INGO! Today I found myself searching for Dan Wesson 1911s online! IF I ever do start carrying a 1911, I'd really like one with the bobtail. I like the looks of the Guardian, but I have not had great experience with 1911 9mms.

Make sure you shoot a bobbed 1911 before you buy one, if you haven't. It changes the feel in the hand a bit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Make sure you shoot a bobbed 1911 before you buy one, if you haven't. It changes the feel in the hand a bit.

I have found that a bobbed 1911 is harder for me to run hard and I have large hands. It lets my hand wrap under the grip changing my POA with the grip I normally use. Just my personal experience.
    Do shoot one before you buy. Looks do not always equate to performance.

Top Bottom