Full size 1911.....Kimber or Colt....why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It seems like every company around is throwing out a 1911 for the saps to gobble up. It's the reason the specialty gun makers like Brown, Baer, and Wilson are prospering.
    Most of the "middle ground" 1911s will hold up fine for the average one box a month shooter BUT for the guys that slap a lot of rounds down range it's a different story. The less expensive guns will finally succumb to the wear of repetition and lack of quality parts as required by JMB.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Seriously though one has to be careful following internet fodder. Most of us will promote what we have because we would like to think we made informed and smart decisions. We also like to think we are buying quality stuff.

You read a lot about Kimber's not performing all that well. I wonder statistically what the percentage of truly defective Kimbers there are.

I have read a lot about 9mm 1911's not being reliable. So did I get lucky and get one that is? Or does the bad experience of a few perpetuate the forums?

I have a friend who has a Kimber and it's a 9mm. So, supposedly he would have the worst of two worlds. But guess what? His runs fine. It is unmodified, he is a target shooter and shoots factory ammo. And he isn't mechanically inclined to fiddle with them trying to make "improvements".

In my experience if you buy one of the better known brands of anything, even if you have an issue, they will stand behind it. Do your due dilligence, but when you are done, pull the trigger(pun intended) and get what you feel comfortable with. Then stop looking on the internet for problems with what you bought.:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seriously though one has to be careful following internet fodder. Most of us will promote what we have because we would like to think we made informed and smart decisions. We also like to think we are buying quality stuff.

You read a lot about Kimber's not performing all that well. I wonder statistically what the percentage of truly defective Kimbers there are.

I have read a lot about 9mm 1911's not being reliable. So did I get lucky and get one that is? Or does the bad experience of a few perpetuate the forums?

I have a friend who has a Kimber and it's a 9mm. So, supposedly he would have the worst of two worlds. But guess what? His runs fine. It is unmodified, he is a target shooter and shoots factory ammo. And he isn't mechanically inclined to fiddle with them trying to make "improvements".

In my experience if you buy one of the better known brands of anything, even if you have an issue, they will stand behind it. Do your due dilligence, but when you are done, pull the trigger(pun intended) and get what you feel comfortable with. Then stop looking on the internet for problems with what you bought.:)

True^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My experiences are real world. I have owned one or some of most everything except island guns. I have seen enough of them in pieces to convince me to stay away.
    Had an older Kimber. Not a bad gun but just overpriced. I have had 2 newer pro-shop kimbers and they ran OK I was just not at all impressed with the guns. Again, for the price point they fell short IMHO. I will never consider another Kimber as to my own real world experiences with the Marque.
    Older Colts were good guns. The newer offerings not so much. Again, personal real world experience.
    For the money, I feel Springfield puts a good gun out. I have had 1 with an issue out of the box and it was dealt with by myself. Did not send it back. Simple fix. You saw it the other day.
    As to the 9mm.....I have several friends that run them with good results. I am just not a fan of the caliber for many reasons.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Had a Colt. Put 1500rds through it and it was awesome. Traded if for a Springer, sold that to dad and bought a new Springer. Got about 600rds through it and it is even better. For the money, Springer hands down. If you can only have one, and it has to be between those two (Kimber orColt) I'd go Colt.

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    Colt.... when you buy a colt you buy hisoty, reputation and a gun worth the price you paid for it. With kimber, you buy a name. Its not to say kimbers are bad guns, but they dont live up to the hype. Me personally, I am a springfield guy, but you didnt ask about them :)

Sierra74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Northside of Indy
    Thank you all for your input. Although I'm no closer to deciding, I enjoy reading the opinions. Just like most things, there are people in all corners of the discussion.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Just purchased a Springfield TRP and will say it is a fantastic pistol and would highly recomend to anyone. Early before joining any forums did purchase 2 Kimbers and can say have had know problems with either. The Kimber Eclipse was close to the same price as the TRP and seems to be just as accurate. I would choose the TRP over the Kimber but do believe they are a decent made 1911. Like CM said some like Chevys and some like Fords!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    If money is not an issue, then Kimber without a doubt. Match grade components, better sights, better feel. Just pick up the two and you will feel and see the difference instantly.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Depends on the age of the Colt. If it's a WWII gun, Colt hands down. If current production, I'd go Kimber. Both are full of MIM parts, which is really not the issue some make it out to be but Kimber builds a nicer gun than Colt does now days. I own two Colts and one Kimber (had a second and made the mistake of selling it). The new Colt needed parts to make it right whereas the Kimbers were good to go right out of the box.

Either will serve you well, but the Colt will can disappoint you in terms of accuracy, fit and finish. Mind you, I love my Colt and am very happy with it, but I just wish Colt put more effort into the production. As delivered, the sear was cut short per an Ed Brown sear jig. The barrel bushing was on the ragged edge of the spec in terms how loose it was. Still in spec, but at the maximum end of how loose it could be. The roll marks on the Colt were uneven and cratered. But, it still worked but works much better with new internals and a custom EGW barrel bushing.

Top Bottom