Full size 1911.....Kimber or Colt....why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You know I'm just having a bit of fun. I've never been into Harley's, or any other bike for that matter, but I have to admit the one above is art on wheels.

I know you were just rattling my chain.
    That you mentioned the oil thing brought back a memory. When I 1st built this thing I was using the stock Cylinders with nothing special done to them. They bled off a little boost past the ring at high RPM and would try to push the oil cap out of the tank. WE were playing on the highway and I figured it was a good time to shoot the juice to it and see how it ran. Buddy riding on my right saw me flip the Nitrous swicth and "Assume" the position in the saddle so he flipped his on to see if he could keep up. The actuator switch was on the carb and was set at full throttle. When I pegged the throttle all that combustion pressure blew right past the rings and blew out the oil plug and drenched my buddy with about 2 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic. It was hilarious. He was not amused.

That engine came out of the frame very soon after that and was replaced with one scratch built from High end parts. Problem solved.

Yeah, they all leak at times.......:)

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    The dyna has stock engine castings but held a set of 89" stroker wheels and no, it never leaked a drop.
    The others were all after market and they only leaked when a rod or similar rotating mass got out of the cases in excess of 6500 RPM.
    The one in the pic below heaved its guts at 7500 with the Nitrous engaged......yeah, pretty messy.

Wise guy.......:)

did it blow from spinnin' to fast or hydro from to much nitrous.....to much laughin' gas will make one leak oil too....:yesway:

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Kimber is the Harley of guns. Looks good at rest, but once you put it to use, you find out what a POS it really is.

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    The dyna has stock engine castings but held a set of 89" stroker wheels and no, it never leaked a drop.
    The others were all after market and they only leaked when a rod or similar rotating mass got out of the cases in excess of 6500 RPM.
    The one in the pic below heaved its guts at 7500 with the Nitrous engaged......yeah, pretty messy.

Wise guy.......:)

Wow! That thing must be pushing 100HP. :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow! That thing must be pushing 100HP. :laugh:

In full tune it made 165 at the rear axle in Daytona Beach at sea level. No nitrous....straight motor. Air registered mine shaft....200 ft below sea level.

It did a best of 156 hear at 900 ft above sea level. Meter registered the air equivalent to 1100 feet.

In street tune it made about 135.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    did it blow from spinnin' to fast or hydro from to much nitrous.....to much laughin' gas will make one leak oil too....:yesway:

I was spinning it up past what S&S rated the rods and wheels. The want to stay below 6500. I was pushing it to 7500 at times. I was also foaming the oil from ring by-pass. I broke the rod pin. I fixed all of that wit Sputh (Sp) wheels rods and pistons. Sputh jugs and Branch heads ported in my shop. S&S cases. Andrews Trans. components.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Kimber is the Harley of guns. Looks good at rest, but once you put it to use, you find out what a POS it really is.

Hmmm...wonder when I'm gonna find out my Harley and Kimber are both a POS? After over 50,000 miles on the Harley you'd think I'd know... :ugh:
    If the Kimber serves me as well as my bike has, i'll be happy!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin

Well I guess I should be glad I don't have any Kimbers.... but since my new StreetGlide Special is a POS, I better sell it quick before I have to dump a bunch of cash into it to make it right.

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hmmm...wonder when I'm gonna find out my Harley and Kimber are both a POS? After over 50,000 miles on the Harley you'd think I'd know... :ugh:
    If the Kimber serves me as well as my bike has, i'll be happy!

Ride to shoot..... Shoot to ride! :rockwoot:

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    7q3sy5o3vj.jpg

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    What Harley riders think of their own riding ability:

picture.php

The reality of most Harley riders riding ability:

picture.php

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    you have never been on one in your life to post something like that:dunno:

I have ridden plenty of HDs. And I will say exactly that same thing. ALL SHOW no GO.

HDs are nice cruisers. Nothing wrong with them. They just aren't sport bikes and never will be.

Until you have twisted the throttle hard on a ZX-14R or Hyabusa... there is just nothing like it. Any liter bike or bigger makes an HD seem like its moving in slow motion. I have seen some custom build HDs that will scoot for sure, but 200hp at the rear wheel from a STOCK ZX-14R is an unreal feeling. No HD I have ridden has ever scared me. The ZX-14R scared the **** out of me.

Also I like 1911s and IMHO Springfield Armory makes the best one for the money and Sigs aint bad either.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have ridden plenty of HDs. And I will say exactly that same thing. ALL SHOW no GO.

HDs are nice cruisers. Nothing wrong with them. They just aren't sport bikes and never will be.

Until you have twisted the throttle hard on a ZX-14R or Hyabusa... there is just nothing like it. Any liter bike or bigger makes an HD seem like its moving in slow motion. I have seen some custom build HDs that will scoot for sure, but 200hp at the rear wheel from a STOCK ZX-14R is an unreal feeling. No HD I have ridden has ever scared me. The ZX-14R scared the **** out of me.

Also I like 1911s and IMHO Springfield Armory makes the best one for the money and Sigs aint bad either.

Well no, I wouldn't get a Harley if I wanted a sport bike, but to say they are all show doesn't seem accurate. Ours are not stock, and they are plenty fast enough for the riding we do. I'd rather go shooting most days instead of ride now, anyway. BTDT a lot of years...

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well no, I wouldn't get a Harley if I wanted a sport bike, but to say they are all show doesn't seem accurate. Ours are not stock, and they are plenty fast enough for the riding we do. I'd rather go shooting most days instead of ride now, anyway. BTDT a lot of years...

Stock side by side on the 1/4 mile it becomes a very accurate statement. Take $10k and drop it into the HD then take $1K and drop it into the ZX-14R and the results will be the same. With only minor head work and a simple remap of the EFI the ZX-14R is capable of 250+hp at the wheel and will still be completely street worthy on pump gas. CM's bike from a few pages back only claimed 165hp on a good day in full tune and wasn't streetable in that configuration. I have mad respect for CM and he is a hell of a mechanic and a top notch dude, but I'd hate to know how much cash it took to do that.

Then there is this god awful monster the Ninja H2R: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCsQjBAwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kawasaki.com%2FProducts%2F2015-Ninja-H2R&ei=hv0_VIn8CNixyASSmIIY&usg=AFQjCNGHA4S68PAdYlO3QzzwKJChPZ7F8Q&bvm=bv.77648437,d.aWw

Top Bottom