Full size 1911.....Kimber or Colt....why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    lol my RIA 2011 tactical has ran like a champ from day one. use combat wilson mags. about 500rds down the pipe if not more with only 2 failure to feed with the factory mag. no problems with the wilson mags.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Watching this thread with interest, because I actually had this dilemma last Friday. Had a Sig C3 1911, and decided I wanted to trade. Partly because there was no reason to have a compact 1911, as it is not what I normally carry. Came down to deciding between a new Colt and a Kimber Custom II. The Kimber was less money, and my husband has had good luck with his Kimber Ultra CDP II, which I have shot and like as well. So the Kimber won. Kimber America | Custom II | Custom II | 1911

It's got around 100 rounds thru it now. I can't fairly judge it, because it is not broken in, and I have only shot reloads in it. I am a mediocre shooter, and saying even that is probably pushing it. This gun makes me look pretty good...but it has failed to chamber numerous rounds. I feel like it is getting better, and after a good cleaning, hopefully we'll see more improvement. I stupidly took it to a friendly competition shoot over the weekend, because the gun I normally would have used has a broken sight. In hindsight, I should have used my husband's gun. My first shot was good, and I felt like I was going to have a good round. Ha! It was horribly embarrassing, but I kept clearing the jams, and shooting. Entirely my fault, thinking it wouldn't be that bad, and I should have worked harder at getting my other gun going. If this Kimber ends up breaking in and being reliable, I think I will be very happy with it. I shoot it well, it handles well, has a nice trigger, at least to me.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm looking to buy a full size 1911. I know there are hardcore Kimber guys and hardcore Colt guys. Tell me why one is better than the other. Sig?

For me, this would come down to what your intended use is and what model of each brand you are looking for. Are you looking at a Colt Cold Cup National Match or a XSE? A lot of the larger manufacturers are using MIM parts and there are a lot of gunsmiths out there gutting them and replacing them with quality aftermarket pieces. I look at a bunch of 1911's and couldn't find one with all the features I wanted, so I bought a Caspian frame and slide, found a competent 1911 smith (AllenM) and had lengthy discussions about my intended use for the piece. I picked the parts and pieces I wanted and Allen put is all together into a awesome, custom piece. Colts or Kimbers both have cult followings... I personally think both brands are overpriced because of their name. Ruger is gaining steam in the 1911 market too. There are lots of new 1911s hitting the market, but Springfield has a lot of bang for the buck. Their Custom Shop also does outstanding work at reasonable rates. If I wasn't having a second AllenM custom built, I would look at Springfields models and customize it as I saw fit.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If money is not an issue, then Kimber without a doubt. Match grade components, better sights, better feel. Just pick up the two and you will feel and see the difference instantly.
    So are you saying that Kimber puts tool steel parts in its guns, i.e. sear, hammer and disconnector?

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Colt or KIMBER? Colt! Why? Refer to first answer!!
    For me, the question was Colt or Springfield. Sold a RUGER commander and a Glock 30s to get the blued Series 70.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have owned three Kimbers. I don't think I would buy another. MIM parts and plastic mainspring housings should not be used on guns in that price range. :twocents:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Watching this thread with interest, because I actually had this dilemma last Friday. Had a Sig C3 1911, and decided I wanted to trade. Partly because there was no reason to have a compact 1911, as it is not what I normally carry. Came down to deciding between a new Colt and a Kimber Custom II. The Kimber was less money, and my husband has had good luck with his Kimber Ultra CDP II, which I have shot and like as well. So the Kimber won. Kimber America | Custom II | Custom II | 1911

It's got around 100 rounds thru it now. I can't fairly judge it, because it is not broken in, and I have only shot reloads in it. I am a mediocre shooter, and saying even that is probably pushing it. This gun makes me look pretty good...but it has failed to chamber numerous rounds. I feel like it is getting better, and after a good cleaning, hopefully we'll see more improvement. I stupidly took it to a friendly competition shoot over the weekend, because the gun I normally would have used has a broken sight. In hindsight, I should have used my husband's gun. My first shot was good, and I felt like I was going to have a good round. Ha! It was horribly embarrassing, but I kept clearing the jams, and shooting. Entirely my fault, thinking it wouldn't be that bad, and I should have worked harder at getting my other gun going. If this Kimber ends up breaking in and being reliable, I think I will be very happy with it. I shoot it well, it handles well, has a nice trigger, at least to me.

The one I had was a jamb-O-matic as well.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm gonna miss rebuilding those for you :)

Those two Kimbers are now up to the standard they should have been originally, and I don't think I'll be getting rid of them any time soon. But wait till you see my newest toy. I'm hoping to post some pics sometime this week, maybe tonight. :cool:

BDS JIN

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Griffith
    I'm not a expert of pistol. But I am a huge Sig fan. Why not give sig a try. So far, I found out that every handgun I have tried, Sig always feels better and top quality. So I believe that Sig 1911 are also be the top of line.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm not a expert of pistol. But I am a huge Sig fan. Why not give sig a try. So far, I found out that every handgun I have tried, Sig always feels better and top quality. So I believe that Sig 1911 are also be the top of line.

Hate to bust your bubble, but in this instance of 1911s the Pythagorean triple doesn't apply

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Ive had both as well...and as of current production quality...both are over priced, and relying solely on their names and advertising to sell guns.

FWIW I sold my 1985 Colt and will never part with my first gen Kimber(they dont make them like that anymore).

A good way to tell a good 1911 is to go to the range with the gun and 500 dirty reloads(green dot and lead)...shoot all 500 rounds and if the last targets look as good as the first targets its a keeper.
    - My old Colt couldnt hit the target.
    - My Sig(5" nightmare) couldnt make it to 500 rounds without mechanical failure
    - My first gen Kimber passes the test.
    - My American classic II passed the test.

So to actually answer your question...Neither(although Colt is getting better)....If I where in your shoes, Id keep saving for a used les baer or a new dan wesson...however I have limited experience with the springers, they seem well made.

God bless
    -Shred

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    New to the forum and love these threads were Kimbers are discussed. Some would never buy another and some thats all they would own! Just bought a Springfield TRP and yea for the money seems to be a fantastic gun and really fun to shoot. With that being said based on my exsperience although it is very limited cannot say a bad thing about the two Kimbers that I own and have also been a pleasure to own with no FTF or FTE. With that being said if I didnt own a Kimber or the TRP and was buying a 1911 probably would have to go with the TRP and might be worth looking into.

Top Bottom