• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BCCS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    I work with guy that was shot in the chest by a .25 auto. Given that these discussions pop up frequently I asked him what it was like, did it stop him, how long until you were incapacitated etc. Not surprisingly all he said it did was make him more mad, it did nothing to stop him and there was no incapacitation at all, he was able to continue on doing exactly what he was doing.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    imo 22 is not the best choice for defence or even in the top ten.

that said a man is much better prepared with a 22 on his hip than a 44 mag on his dresser because its to big and bulky to carry

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ok

:poop:
    I work with guy that was shot in the chest by a .25 auto. Given that these discussions pop up frequently I asked him what it was like, did it stop him, how long until you were incapacitated etc. Not surprisingly all he said it did was make him more mad, it did nothing to stop him and there was no incapacitation at all, he was able to continue on doing exactly what he was doing.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Ok

More :poop:
    u lost me at ballistics
    ballistics are funny...nevertheless everyone says they wouldnyt step in front of a .22 and i agree...but what BG or good guy steps in front of ANY barrell...if i had a choice id take .22 over .25 over .380 over 9mm....just being real, your chances increase as the destructive power of the weapon decreases....

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    One gun in your pocket is worth two in your bush...blah blah blah... your pocket knife is better than the toothpick u left at long john silvers....can we stop saying this like it is the first time someone ever said it :D

u lost me at ballistics

How bout a stick of dynamite or a stick poke :stickpoke: looks effective if u have a big head and no legs

If you hit the little "Multi" button in the bottom right of the post and click "Reply" you dont have to make multiple posts.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Now killing a grizzly at close range i would use 22 lr.....dont shoot to kill just shoot the bear in the leg...keep stepping in a circle because bears cannot run in circles as fast as humans...this was taught to me by an old indian guide...try it if u doubt the effectiveness off cci minimags...

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    CCI .22 LR 32gr Stinger HP
    Product # 0050, Lot # J30D01
    Gelatin block s/n V1-990528-1, calibration: 9.0cm @ 563 fps (9.5cm corrected1) Test gun: Beretta M21A, 2.4" bbl. Date tested: 6-14-99. Bare Gelatin Shot # Velocity (fps) Penetration Expansion 1 971 See remarks None 2 1002 See remarks None 3 999 See remarks None 4 972 See remarks None 5 Error See remarks None 6 993 See remarks None Averages 987 30.7cm (12")* None

12 inches of penetration. a .380 hollowpoint doesnt even pull those numbers.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    good to know

[thank u rainman...:D...now tell me "how many toothpicks?"...i hope u arent starting a disagreement because i will win due to my higher post count..and i got something else that rivals those penetration numbers. .QUOTE=Tydeeh22;2755074]Suppressed Ruger MK II pistols were used by the US Navy SEALs in the 1990s.[15]
    "quoted and backed up by wikapedia".[/QUOTE]

CCI .22 LR 32gr Stinger HP
    Product # 0050, Lot # J30D01
    Gelatin block s/n V1-990528-1, calibration: 9.0cm @ 563 fps (9.5cm corrected1) Test gun: Beretta M21A, 2.4" bbl. Date tested: 6-14-99. Bare Gelatin Shot # Velocity (fps) Penetration Expansion 1 971 See remarks None 2 1002 See remarks None 3 999 See remarks None 4 972 See remarks None 5 Error See remarks None 6 993 See remarks None Averages 987 30.7cm (12")* None

12 inches of penetration. a .380 hollowpoint doesnt even pull those numbers.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

u lost me at ballistics

How bout a stick of dynamite or a stick poke :stickpoke: looks effective if u have a big head and no legs

I once killed a grizzly bear at 100 yards with a 22 short but i dont think it would work on my mother in law at that range

Now killing a grizzly at close range i would use 22 lr.....dont shoot to kill just shoot the bear in the leg...keep stepping in a circle because bears cannot run in circles as fast as humans...this was taught to me by an old indian guide...try it if u doubt the effectiveness off cci minimags...

My phone is semi auto not fully automatic besides how will i ever become a grandmaster if i listen to u grasshopper...:D

Charlie sheen used one in platoon i think

[thank u rainman...:D...now tell me "how many toothpicks?"...i hope u arent starting a disagreement because i will win due to my higher post count..and i got something else that rivals those penetration numbers. .QUOTE=Tydeeh22;2755074]Suppressed Ruger MK II pistols were used by the US Navy SEALs in the 1990s.[15]
    "quoted and backed up by wikapedia".
    [/QUOTE]

Not of the kilt megamellon but the carbon nanotube owned by one austin powers. http://randazza.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/austin-powers.jpg

By the way...my ex girlfriend was shot in the throat at a twelve inch range and lived as well

Thread whore.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Caliber Effectiveness: Real-World Statistics from Expert LEO Greg Ellifritz - Guns News and Guns Reviews at Guns.com

This is an interesting article about caliber effectiveness. Sadly, I can't find the original article, however it is completely reprinted in the guns.com forums. Particular attention should probably be paid to the "One-shot-stop", "Average number of rounds until incapacitation", and "Accuracy" sections.

Interesting read... thanks for posting.

With my limited experience, I generally feel that you should choose the whatever gun that you can rapid fire a clip and keep on target best.

Seems to me that there are probably a lot of factors that should go into choosing a defense weapon. Including where you intend on defending yourself with the weapon... in your car, concealed carry, home defense etc...?

Obviously if you plan to CC, then you would limit yourself in gun design whereas for home defense... size wouldn't be as big a concern.

I shoot a sig 1911 on a regular basis, and have no doubt that I can rapidly fire all 8 shots into a body sized target at 20 feet and keep all shots on target... however a friend of mine brought his .380 lcp pocket pistol to the range the other day, and the trigger pull felt like it was 4 inches long and about 30lbs. After a practice clip, I decided to try and dump a clip into a target at about 12 feet and was ALL OVER the target. However, with the .22lr Ruger MarkII and I feel like I could easily put 10 rounds center mass in a moving target in a stressful situation... so from my estimation each individual guns characteristics are every bit as important as the bullet, as well as how capable the person pulling the trigger is and how much practice they have with the weapon system.

My mom's never shot a gun, but she is alone now and we had a conversation just yesterday about getting her a pistol. I no my mom well enough to know that she isn't going to be putting in a ton of practice time... nor is she gonna want to take any pistol defense courses any time soon... at least not until she decides whether or not she wants to shoot a gun. As to be expected she is a bit apprehensive, but very open to trying it out.

I plan on getting her a P22 or an SR22 because I know that it will only take a few trips to the range to get her to the point where she can empty a clip quickly and keep on target. If I felt like she could do the same with a glock, then by all means....

I feel sorry for someone who comes in my house should my 11 yo daughter have time to get to her 10/22 and 25 BX mag. (which btw I have chosen to use for my first line of home defense rather than my considerably heavier/clunkier and louder AR-15) She is lights out with that thing....

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Interesting read... thanks for posting.

With my limited experience, I generally feel that you should choose the whatever gun that you can rapid fire a clip and keep on target best.

Seems to me that there are probably a lot of factors that should go into choosing a defense weapon. Including where you intend on defending yourself with the weapon... in your car, concealed carry, home defense etc...?

Obviously if you plan to CC, then you would limit yourself in gun design whereas for home defense... size wouldn't be as big a concern.

I shoot a sig 1911 on a regular basis, and have no doubt that I can rapidly fire all 8 shots into a body sized target at 20 feet and keep all shots on target... however a friend of mine brought his .380 lcp pocket pistol to the range the other day, and the trigger pull felt like it was 4 inches long and about 30lbs. After a practice clip, I decided to try and dump a clip into a target at about 12 feet and was ALL OVER the target. However, with the .22lr Ruger MarkII and I feel like I could easily put 10 rounds center mass in a moving target in a stressful situation... so from my estimation each individual guns characteristics are every bit as important as the bullet, as well as how capable the person pulling the trigger is and how much practice they have with the weapon system.

My mom's never shot a gun, but she is alone now and we had a conversation just yesterday about getting her a pistol. I no my mom well enough to know that she isn't going to be putting in a ton of practice time... nor is she gonna want to take any pistol defense courses any time soon... at least not until she decides whether or not she wants to shoot a gun. As to be expected she is a bit apprehensive, but very open to trying it out.

I plan on getting her a P22 or an SR22 because I know that it will only take a few trips to the range to get her to the point where she can empty a clip quickly and keep on target. If I felt like she could do the same with a glock, then by all means....

I feel sorry for someone who comes in my house should my 11 yo daughter have time to get to her 10/22 and 25 BX mag. (which btw I have chosen to use for my first line of home defense rather than my considerably heavier/clunkier and louder AR-15) She is lights out with that thing....

Magazine.....its a magazine, not a clip....gheesh!

Top Bottom