• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    yes, we all know it is a magazine, not a clip. we also know that silencers are really suppressors. we all know what he meant, and i know a lot of us here will interchange clip and magazine accidentally from time to time.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    yes, we all know it is a magazine, not a clip. we also know that silencers are really suppressors. we all know what he meant, and i know a lot of us here will interchange clip and magazine accidentally from time to time.

And I have a slight case of CDO

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    And I have a slight case of CDO

I always thought it should be "OCO," because don't you just hate DISorder? Plus if its OCO, its all palindromey and crap. :D

Also, plenty of people, (and animals of all sizes,) have been killed with .22's. Its a lethal round, as is ANY round, if placed correctly.

I believe we should move the debate on this subject matter, (effectiveness of small handgun cartridges,) down another step.

Lets debate the effectiveness of the 2.34mm Swiss MiniGun.
    Swiss Mini Gun

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    In My Neighborhood

Two or three years ago, a cop fired four 9mm bullets at a man who fired
    at him. The cop was about 18 feet from him when he fired his four rounds.
    One shot missed, one hit the man in the left shoulder, the third in the right
    arm. The fourth shot, hit him square in the forehead. The man fell to the ground, and no further shots were fired. Other than the other two wounds, and a concussion, the man survived. He is in jail today.
    I guess it just wasn't his time.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    wow

where is the news article for this story?
    Two or three years ago, a cop fired four 9mm bullets at a man who fired
    at him. The cop was about 18 feet from him when he fired his four rounds.
    One shot missed, one hit the man in the left shoulder, the third in the right
    arm. The fourth shot, hit him square in the forehead. The man fell to the ground, and no further shots were fired. Other than the other two wounds, and a concussion, the man survived. He is in jail today.
    I guess it just wasn't his time.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    As Best I Can Remember

where is the news article for this story?

Wish I had it. This happened in a small community called "Lakemore, Ohio."
    It is a community not to far from Akron. The article appeared in the Akron
    Beacon Journal. When the bad guy was released from the hospital, there was a picture of him in the same paper. He had a large big wound spot in
    the middle of his forhead, but was OK.
    I discussed the picture with a friend of mine, who carried a Glock 26.
    He thought maybe he needed a bigger gun after seeing the picture and
    reading the story.
    That is all I can remember. Happened two or three years ago.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Found It

If you are interested, I found it. If you go to the Akron Beacon Journal
    web site, look up Daniel Tice shooting, Lakemore, Ohio - Jan 9th, 2009.
    His picture with the 9mm wound, is still on their website.
    I was wrong about one thing. He was shot only ONCE by police, and it
    was in the forehead.
    I confused this story, with a similiar one.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    a handgun is a poor excuse for a rifle.

But that doesn't mean I would select a .22 if I had a choice. With all the calibers and guns out there, "why would you want a .22?" is the question.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Ok you guys are gonna think I am a wussy and go ahead cause I guess I am. I feel more comfortable shooting my WaltherP22. I love it. I love everything about it. I do carry a lightweight 38 sp revolver.. I shot it last week and I was surprised at the recoil. It was a little more than what I like or what I am comfortable with. I am finding out as I get older I do not have the arm muscle I used to have. I still carry my 38 but I really would prefer my p22 or even my S&W 22 revolver. I am told the 22's are not muscle enough to save my life. I look at this way I would not stop with just one bullet so if I unload the whole clip or put all 8 into him he will be stopped or dead one. It sucks getting older.:(

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Unless I'm mistaken, there are no personal defense rounds manufactured or sold in .22 LR? Is the design of the cartridge reliable enough to warrant trusting it for self defense? Is a rimfire cartridge ever guaranteed to be 100% reliable?

As far as I know you are correct. About as close as you might get would be CCI stingers or Velocitors. I have shot quite a few of these over the years and have never had a failure in any of my guns. But I agree with you that .22 rimfire is just not reliable enough. It I were to pick a .22 for serious purposes it would be one of the newer 8 - 9 shot double action revolvers.

I did keep a .22 pistol for self defense while in graduate school. It was what I had and I could afford to shoot it. Also, had a single shot 20 guage. So it money is tight then a .22 might be all a person has.

Knifelady mentioned physical limitations. If a person is not able to handle a gun with a more subtantial cartridge then a .22 revovler might be the best choice. (Knifelady if you like your P22 then might I suggest a Walther PK380. They are a joy to shoot.)

I would choose a .22 revolver for self defense before choosing a 25 ACP or 32 ACP. I would probably choose one before one of the micro, mini .380s like an KelTec, LCP or TCP. Notice I said .22 revolver not semi-auto. Please refer back to bwframe's original comment.

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    I watch "The First 48" on A&E alot (pretty good show). I've seen a lot of episodes where people were murdered with 22lr, 25acp, and 32acp. One thing most of these murders had in common was that almost all of the victims were running for their lives as they were being shot at. I guess it's true that they all sound like howitzers when your on the receiving end. I still feel that a handgun is only good to get you to a long gun. Keep a long gun in your trunk and use the handgun to get there if at all possible.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    I'm not sure what the point of this thread, but if you wanna kill with a .22lr gotta go for that brain stem bro

Last edited:
    Top Bottom