• ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    OK we can test it, anyone wanna volunteer to let me shoot them with my 22 then my .45? You survive you get to tell me which hurt more!
    if i get to choose shot placement and bullet type and maufacture, who knows i might get bored enough to try it.
    i was thinking cci shot shells. at 25 feet. it would hurt like a sob, but i doubt it would be lethal.
    i have done dumber things.:rockwoot:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    He was old, smoked his whole life, was on an oxygen tank. he used to smoke while he had the little nose thingys in so he could breath.

He filed a police report saying a bunch of tools were stolen from his machine shop in his barn so he could get money to pay his medical bills. When that didnt work. He decided to take out is .22 hand gun and shoot himself in the temple. That way his life insurance would pay up and handle the bills. The bullet went into his head and never came out.

Little did he know, that life insurance is void when the person kills themselves.

This is not. You just cant kill yourself with in two years of starting the policy. You can not buy the policy with the intent of killing yourself. After two years suicide is covered.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    ballistics are funny...nevertheless everyone says they wouldnyt step in front of a .22 and i agree...but what BG or good guy steps in front of ANY barrell...if i had a choice id take .22 over .25 over .380 over 9mm....just being real, your chances increase as the destructive power of the weapon decreases....

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    if put into the situation where my 9mm was further from me than my .22 mosquito, both were loaded and ready to go, i would grab the mosquito knowing i can put ten rounds quickly close to where they need to be (10 shots, 2 seconds, close to minute of man grouping). i would be comfortable with that. it would not be my first choice. my first choice at home is my shotgun, followed by 9mm, .22, .380 bodyguard (i am a LOT more accurate with the .22 than i am with the long trigger pull of the .380, working on it). my ar is kind of a last ditch, maybe ahead of the 380, but knowing the round does not like to stop, and i would be somewhat worried about over penetration.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Most self defense shootings are less than 10 feet.
    i know that, but if i was givin the choice of standing in front of your pistol to decide which hurts more then the test will be set up to the standards i want, not what you think is the most effective range. in my scenario, 45 hurts more, just because of bigger shot, more of it, and more powder pushing it. but i bet they would both still hurt pretty bad. and any closer than i said, and i would not want to be shot by either. i think most sane people would say the same.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would rather have a 22 than a stick if the situation would call for me needing to defend myself. But with that said i would rather have my .40 that I carry every day.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Pfft, I don't want to stand in front of any of them, and if the .22 is the best thing I can stand behind, so be it. I have a .45 on my hip all the time, though. Just go with it; don't try to deconstruct it. I can do a lot more damage with 13 .45JHPs than with Bill Ruger's 10 .22's. Just sayin.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Unless I'm mistaken, there are no personal defense rounds manufactured or sold in .22 LR? Is the design of the cartridge reliable enough to warrant trusting it for self defense? Is a rimfire cartridge ever guaranteed to be 100% reliable?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Unless I'm mistaken, there are no personal defense rounds manufactured or sold in .22 LR? Is the design of the cartridge reliable enough to warrant trusting it for self defense? Is a rimfire cartridge ever guaranteed to be 100% reliable?

There's 22lr hollow points. I dunno if it's reliable or not.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    The best caliber for self defense is any caliber that is any well placed. Having said that I want more stopping power than a 22 offers. I had a 9mm and just went to a 40 S&W. I would consider a 45 as well but ammo is just getting stupid expensive.

If I had nothing else I would use a 22 (maybe even a magic marker if Jackie Chan could show me how to use one in a fight) But I do not want to be in that position while a badguy will bleed out with a 22 I want them falling down as the round hits them.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You guys apparently have never heard of the 22LR Quik-Shok, now manufactured by CCI. One round of that in the throat would have dismembered the head completely from the torso.

It is an amazing 22LR round. I have had bunches of it around the house for quite a while. It blows up muskrats into large flying pieces. With a Ruger 22/45.

Top Bottom