• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Every time I make a trip to Uncle Bills, I cringe. Cost of the hobby I guess. I might feel differently soon when I do my own tank (I want a 29 gallon to sit on my desk, and I may go brackish).

Ewwwww Uncle Bills.

:D:D:D:D

Have you been to Premium Aquatics on the south side? If not, check it out. Only open for short periods for "walk-ins," most of their business is internet based.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I got a turtle for our oldest son, it is a slider from a family member who is moving, in a 20 galling tank that used to be mine... Needs no heater or filter, just change the water every now and then, he swims a lot and has a floating fake rock that is suction cupped to the tank for him to get out of the water when he wants to.
    I though about putting him in the big fish tank but found out he will eat the fish... Going to "spruce" up the inside a little and enjoy him.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You shouldn't be changing any water or touching the gravel for the first 6-8 weeks the tank is running.

After that, once a week, 10% water change w/gravel cleaning if you can manage it. If you can't, just as often as possible, increasing the % accordingly with the time between cleanings.

no vacuuming or water changes for 6-8 weeks? hmm...

Side note, how much are tanks used or brand new from the 60 gal or 200 gal range?

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Screenshot_2013-06-09-23-09-23-1.png

Here's a pic of my red belly pirahnas, I also have a pleco and fiddler crab with them. Really fun fish to have but they are super messy.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I had a 55 gallon tank with 3 oscars. They started out at about 3" each but quickly got to 6+". One was attacked and killed by the other two. I kept the 2 until they reached about 8+" and began attacking one another. I gave them to uncle bills pet store. Fish are really cool but I got tired of tank maintenance, etc.

If I ever get another fish tank it will be with fish that can live with each other. Two fish that eat any smaller fish are cool for a while, but become boring when you stare at the same 2 fish day after day.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I had a 55 gallon tank with 3 oscars. They started out at about 3" each but quickly got to 6+".

I remember when I was 12, my dad's 100 gallon tank had a Oscar that was 1 foot in length. In the summer we used to go to White Lick Creek and catch minnows and throw them in the tank for him to eat.

Just the Oscar and I think a Albino Plecostomus that was well over 15 inches, it was the only two fishes in the tank.

Darn Oscar used to sweep end to end swallowing those minnows, as a kid, that was pretty darn cool, that was until the neighbor got a tank with a dozen Piranha's in it. :n00b:

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I got a turtle for our oldest son, it is a slider from a family member who is moving, in a 20 galling tank that used to be mine... Needs no heater or filter, just change the water every now and then, he swims a lot and has a floating fake rock that is suction cupped to the tank for him to get out of the water when he wants to.
    I though about putting him in the big fish tank but found out he will eat the fish... Going to "spruce" up the inside a little and enjoy him.

You've got a lot to learn about turtles.....they need a massive filter, a heater, a source of both heat and UVB while basking, and tons of water changes. Google "Austin's turtle page" and read read read.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Thinking about adding some tetras to my tank alongside my betta...5 tetras too many? Also, what brand and kind of water testing do you guys recommend?

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    Thinking about adding some tetras to my tank alongside my betta...5 tetras too many? Also, what brand and kind of water testing do you guys recommend?

I don't have any experience with bettas, but I thought they were an aggressive fish. You only want to keep similar temperament fish together. If you go to a Petsmart you will see they label all the display tanks. Make sure you keep with that. Nothing worse than coming home and seeing fish bits in the water.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    My last salt tank (a 20g "high") cost me over $1000 just to get running. :D

How did a 20g setup cost you 1k to setup?

Every time I make a trip to Uncle Bills, I cringe. Cost of the hobby I guess. I might feel differently soon when I do my own tank (I want a 29 gallon to sit on my desk, and I may go brackish).

I have a 29g salt setup (light, tank, rock, sand, sump w/pumps, powerhead, heater...etc..) that I just took down that I'd be willing to part with. I am moving soon, and have a much larger tank that I'm setting up.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    You've got a lot to learn about turtles.....they need a massive filter, a heater, a source of both heat and UVB while basking, and tons of water changes. Google "Austin's turtle page" and read read read.

I was thinking he needed more... He has been alive for like 4 years just in a tank with water. I'll check it out and do some upgrades.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side

5 isn't too many, as long as they are a smaller variety. Your betta may or may not tolerate them though. They can be quite temperamental. Avoid anything that "looks" like a betta, ie guppies, anything long finned, etc.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    I have a 29g salt setup (light, tank, rock, sand, sump w/pumps, powerhead, heater...etc..) that I just took down that I'd be willing to part with. I am moving soon, and have a much larger tank that I'm setting up.

I wish I had the scratch, but the wife and I have job changes coming up (both by choice) so I've got to be more conservative for a while. I appreciate the offer though.

Top Bottom