• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Didn't want to create a new thread, so I'll revive this one...This is my first fish tank, been up and running about a month or a little more, water is still cloudy from my understanding of the nitrogen cycle that needs to be completed. I do 10-25% water change a week(sometimes twice a week), couple days ago I switched from the junk top fin filter to an aquaclear 30 in my 10 gal tank, and check levels via pet store once a week.

They say water hardness is up but other levels are good. Here's my naked tank:

null_zps1da866a7.jpg

How long should I expect the cloudiness to stick around?

Go to your LFS and ask them if they have any filter media. You can cycle a tank in 24 hours that way and the cloudiness will disappear.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Go to your LFS and ask them if they have any filter media. You can cycle a tank in 24 hours that way and the cloudiness will disappear.

tempting...when I changed my filter unit, I carried over the bio bag from the cheap top fin 10 filter to my aquaclear 30. I thought it would have cleared by now...

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I'd guess he is 6 ball park. We are upgrading his living arrangements this weekend.

A turtle I had previously I had gotten from a family who bought it at the Covered Bridge Festival. Red Ear Slider, tiny guy, figured they had just gotten him the previous festival......nope......had him for 2 1/2 years.....didn't look like he'd grown at all. Kept in a few inches of water, no filter, no light, no heat.

I had him for 4-5 years until we parted ways and he went to a better home. He got to about 5" and stopped growing, so he definitely had a considerable amount of damage done to him in all that time.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    This is what my tank looked like the other day:

null_zps1da866a7.jpg

....and this is what it looks like maybe 10 mins ago:

null_zpsf64493a7.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    That's ridiculous. Seriously, drop by your local fish store and ask for some filter media. They will more than likely give it to you for free. I did it for my first tank I bought and my water was crystal clear less than 24 hours after setup and I had a lot of fish in there.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    That's ridiculous. Seriously, drop by your local fish store and ask for some filter media. They will more than likely give it to you for free. I did it for my first tank I bought and my water was crystal clear less than 24 hours after setup and I had a lot of fish in there.

I am going to bloomington tomorrow, so maybe I'll go ahead and do that.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    When I looked at you tank pick, I seen no filter system in there, only a power head.

Before I went with the 75 gallon tank and went with a Magnum filter pump system,
    I'm pretty sure I used both of the two below one time or another.

And since you don't have a big tank, they would work fine.

http://www.petco.com/product/2402/Marineland-Penguin-BIO-Wheel-Power-Filters.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Fish_1-_-Marineland%20Penguin%20BIO-Wheel%20Power%20Filters-2402

Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 Aquarium Power Filters - Sale - Fish - PetSmart

It'll clean up the tank quick.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    When I looked at you tank pick, I seen no filter system in there, only a power head.

Before I went with the 75 gallon tank and went with a Magnum filter pump system,
    I'm pretty sure I used both of the two below one time or another.

And since you don't have a big tank, they would work fine.

Marineland Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filters - Activated Carbon Aquarium Filter from petco.com

Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 Aquarium Power Filters - Sale - Fish - PetSmart

It'll clean up the tank quick.

null_zps9ed69732.jpg

In order from bottom to top:

water polishing pad, carbon, old bio bag, and bio max bio thingies....

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm still on the same filter from when I started the tank and still clear water. Pro flo filter I believe.... 55 gallon tank and its a 100 gallon filter... Separate under gravel filters but that's mostly for a nice current.... I have always had and seen people have good luck with having a filter that is designed for a tank twice as big.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm still on the same filter from when I started the tank and still clear water. Pro flo filter I believe.... 55 gallon tank and its a 100 gallon filter... Separate under gravel filters but that's mostly for a nice current.... I have always had and seen people have good luck with having a filter that is designed for a tank twice as big.

Agreed....this filter is made for 30 gallons tanks and I only have 10 gallons

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have an Emperor 400 and 280 on my 75 gallon tank.

Caleb, may want to check your heater, some have a water line you are supposed to keep the top part above...

Edit:
    What chemicals are you using, are you on city water or well?
    Also, I paid around 400 for my 75 gallon tank, stand, filters,lights, and gravel about a year or so ago. I bought it used from a small pet shop south of the Walmart in Beech Grove. I gave away the filters that came with it for my old ones.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Why do you have the water level so low? I guess it doesn't matter if it's kept in a room that you don't use that often, but if it was in my family room or bedroom that waterfall would drive me crazy.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Why do you have the water level so low? I guess it doesn't matter if it's kept in a room that you don't use that often, but if it was in my family room or bedroom that waterfall would drive me crazy.

Me too...my wife likes the "trickling waterfall" sounds... :rolleyes:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Went to petsmart and they told me ammonia was above stressful but just right at caution....whatever that means. It's above 0 and I think water is cloudier then last night, they wouldn't give me a used filter with good bacteria because apparently they change the filter every 12 hours. So...should I do a water change to reduce ammonia or leave it be?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Also should add, I didn't know goldfish will eat other dead goldfish...nothing like walking into petsmart and seeing goldfish skeletons laying about.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom