• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Well, you do, but 5 gallons a week in a 55g tank is going to leave you sitting pretty almost always, unless you have an overpopulated tank.

The inch per gallon isn't all that great of a guideline. It works for some species, but not even close to all.

Small, skinny fish can work under this rule, but I chuckle at the thought of having an inch of Oscar per gallon of water in a 55g tank. 1 Oscar in a 55g can be too much.

Also, don't forget that your tank doesn't have anywhere near 55g of water in it. Mine probably have closer to 35 gallons than 55 with all of the rocks and sand.
    I have two power heads flowing water to my under gravel filter, and a AQUA CLEAR 300 & a Second Nature 3 filter

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like several change volumes and intervals will work pretty well, depending on your tank. If my Nx levels every budge, I'll have to do it more often. I monitor the numbers just because.

I wonder how much the reverse osmosis water helps? The filter we picked up years ago is killer, too (Eheim Echo).

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Sounds like several change volumes and intervals will work pretty well, depending on your tank. If my Nx levels every budge, I'll have to do it more often. I monitor the numbers just because.

I wonder how much the reverse osmosis water helps? The filter we picked up years ago is killer, too (Eheim Echo).

R/O is a tough one.

Yes it can help for specific soft water fish, or other specific fish you want to breed. Otherwise it's too much trouble, because it doesn't retain any buffering capacity. You spend $$$ trying to get it to hold a specific pH. If you want to use it, mix it with tap water. Otherwise don't waste your money. Unless you're doing saltwater, then yes, absolutely.

I had an Eheim Ecco at one point. Loved that little thing.

cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Now to convince the wife that we "need" a fish tank! I miss the ones I had back in college.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I want to get some of the glow tetras soon but wanted to make sure the tank is stable first.

Tank is the standard sized 55, brother in law had it before me, allways well cared for. Been up and runing for about a month. Have not seen the bottom feeders in a while. Was probably to soon for them. Two got sucked up against the filter and died, two barbs also died. No issues with the neons. Put more fish in about 2 weeks ago no issues.

I like the bright colored stuff that you don't see every day...

Ohh the spot the tank is in is perfect for a 300 gallon... Want that when funds allow...

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I also would throw a hand full of rock salt into my tank, it gives the freshwater fish some vitamins

:n00b:

No it doesn't.

Salt in a Freshwater Tank?

I want to get some of the glow tetras soon but wanted to make sure the tank is stable first.

Tank is the standard sized 55, brother in law had it before me, allways well cared for. Been up and runing for about a month. Have not seen the bottom feeders in a while. Was probably to soon for them. Two got sucked up against the filter and died, two barbs also died. No issues with the neons. Put more fish in about 2 weeks ago no issues.

I like the bright colored stuff that you don't see every day...

Ohh the spot the tank is in is perfect for a 300 gallon... Want that when funds allow...

You're still not fully cycled, so be careful putting more stuff in. You can, but make sure it's hardy.

Are you testing your water parameters at all? You should have already seen an ammonia spike and be at or nearing a nitrite spike.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I have a 55 and just add water to it every 2 weeks. I clean it and do a water change every 3 months or so whether it needs it or not

It definitely does need it, and more often than "every 3 months or so."

Adding water to replace evaporation isn't doing any good, you're not removing any of the built up detritus or nitrates, and you're increasing your total dissolved solids.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Haven't started testing yet but will. All the fish in it were cheap... Reef said it was fine to put cheap fish in to help get it ready for the nicer stuff... Have done it that way in the past.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Haven't started testing yet but will. All the fish in it were cheap... Reef said it was fine to put cheap fish in to help get it ready for the nicer stuff... Have done it that way in the past.

Standard method. Other ways to do it, but most people do it that way.

As much as I hate to say this, once you figure out what you want fish-wise, see if your local Petsmart has them. Their fish guarantee is unbelievable (if it still is what it used to be).

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have had SW before, that was a huge debate I had with myself when this tank was being set up.

I wanted angelfish and finally did it.
    Saltwater is def. neat and the colors of the fish are awesome.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It definitely does need it, and more often than "every 3 months or so."

Adding water to replace evaporation isn't doing any good, you're not removing any of the built up detritus or nitrates, and you're increasing your total dissolved solids.
    My fish do very great and my Ph and ammonia levels are good, when I start jacking around with it too often fish start to die. The only thing that dies in my tank are feeder fish. Been doing this for years with a freshwater tank, no idea of the workings of saltwater tanks. I do add aquarium salt, very little, when I do water changes.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    My fish do very great and my Ph and ammonia levels are good, when I start jacking around with it too often fish start to die. The only thing that dies in my tank are feeder fish. Been doing this for years with a freshwater tank, no idea of the workings of saltwater tanks. I do add aquarium salt, very little, when I do water changes.

Your pH level is essentially never going to change. Your ammonia level shouldn't be a problem either. Make sure you're watching your nitrate levels. Under 40 is ideal.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    African cichlids are the most colorful fresh water fish and are quite beautiful. They are meat eating fish, so they can only be kept with other cichlids or they will eventually eat all the others in the tank. They are pretty easy to take care of as well.

:twocents:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    African cichlids are the most colorful fresh water fish and are quite beautiful. They are meat eating fish, so they can only be kept with other cichlids or they will eventually eat all the others in the tank. They are pretty easy to take care of as well.

I have some South American mixed in with my Africans, but you are right for the most part.

Bristle-nosed plecos are also OK, but not regular plecos since cichlids are eye biters.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side

African cichlids, like most other fish, are omnivores, and need a varied diet that includes animal and plant matter. Alternating between good quality flakes or pellets, one being a general animal based formula and the other being a plant based formula is best. You can also give them a variety of fresh veggies like cucumbers and zucchini. Sushi nori is also typically well received. Feeder fish should be avoided.

(Mbunas are primarily vegetarian and should be fed little to no animal protein.)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom