• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Paying someone $15 an hour to push pictures on a screen and ask if you would like fries, ISN'T going to make them better employees! Forcing an employer to pay more than a job is worth helps no one.

Your wife does the same thing just has to walk out to the table to do it. Notice the purple. I'm not saying $15 a hour is some magic number that needs to be reached. But if you want someone to do a job and do it fast and correctly. You are going to have to pay them. Now tell me why your wife should make $28.24 a hour to serve tables.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Your wife does the same thing just has to walk out to the table to do it. Notice the purple. I'm not saying $15 a hour is some magic number that needs to be reached. But if you want someone to do a job and do it fast and correctly. You are going to have to pay them. Now tell me why your wife should make $28.24 a hour to serve tables.

The problem is
    difference between my wife and McDonalds, $2.13/hour and bust your ass, or $7.25 and stare at screen pointing at pictures. End of four hours, $112.96 on average vs. $29.00. No one forces someone to work for minimum wage. In my town McDonalds is across the street from the chain where you can make $28/hour starting at $2.13. Clock out at end of the shidpft, hop across the street, fill out an app, start making what you feel you are worth! Out side of training, she has never seen a paycheck from the 2.13/hour, it goes entirely to taxes. The people out of training that see paycheck, only see a couple before they are asked to move on.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    And this makes my point for me, in more than one way! Number one, YOU made bank because YOU were willing to work, not because of what they paid you per hour. Number two, .gov forcing an employer to do something benefits no one, whether it be Ocare, or minimum wage. Raise min wage, less min wage jobs available because an employer is going to try and cut costs somewhere to make up.

I made bank because i worked correct. I made the store more money by keeping times down and keeping food hot. It's a symbiotic relationship. If you pay people what they are worth and fire failures you will be more profitable. It's the difference between one person punching buttons and making drinks at drive-thru or 3-4.

Throwing numbers of employee's at a situation is what almost all employers do. How many people can i get for the least amount of money. All that does is bring in the dregs.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    difference between my wife and McDonalds, $2.13/hour and bust your ass, or $7.25 and stare at screen pointing at pictures. End of four hours, $112.96 on average vs. $29.00. No one forces someone to work for minimum wage. In my town McDonalds is across the street from the chain where you can make $28/hour starting at $2.13. Clock out at end of the shidpft, hop across the street, fill out an app, start making what you feel you are worth!

Once again you are making my point. Pay people what they are worth and fire the failures.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Once again you are making my point. Pay people what they are worth and fire the failures.
    No, take a job at the offered wage and do the job! If the offered wage isn't what you feel you are worth, do something else! $2.13 an hour is ridiculous, but NONE of the servers make that! Most average $15 or more, but, they have to work to get it! Just like commissioned salespeople! When I worked comm sales, I was "gauranteed" minimum wage weekly, everything above that was what I wanted out of the job! I never once made guarantee, I was paying myself what I was worth! Pay what the JOB they are doing is worth, and when they decide they are worth more than the job is worth, they move up or on!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I vehemently disagree with anyone who thinks that they are entitled to a "living wage"! Don't like the money offered at the start, don't start, don't like the money 8 years in, move on! Now I'm done talking in circles! For those of you that disagree with me, put skin in the game and start your own business, then let your employees via the .gov try to dictate where and how to allocate your resources! You will understand my points then!

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    No, take a job at the offered wage and do the job! If the offered wage isn't what you feel you are worth, do something else! $2.13 an hour is ridiculous, but NONE of the servers make that! Most average $15 or more, but, they have to work to get it! Just like commissioned salespeople! When I worked comm sales, I was "gauranteed" minimum wage weekly, everything above that was what I wanted out of the job! I never once made guarantee, I was paying myself what I was worth!

/facepalm, It doesn't matter how many exclamation marks you use. You are making my point but only for piece work jobs.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    /facepalm, It doesn't matter how many exclamation marks you use. You are making my point but only for piece work jobs.
    Then see my post above your last quote! Pay what the JOB is worth to the employer, accept it or not! Forcing it by mandate helps no one. :bash:

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    They should raise the minimum to $15/ hour, that way the industry can justify Kiosks to take your order and money. At least then the order will be correct and probably quicker. I seldom eat fast food any way. While we are at it though we should cut unemployment benefits, welfare, obamacare subsidies and the other BS programs because according to the liberals $15/hr min should be a "living wage". Since it will be a living wage no reason for any kind of subsidy, not my problem if the jobs dry up. Eradicate the rampant abuses in the various handout programs and shorten the time period one can receive them. Why should I be forced to help people that have chosen to not help themselves? Let them starve, bet they get off their asses and work. I do believe it is our responsibility as a civilized society to help those that can't help themselves though

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Say we start paying $15 an hour for a entry level job at McDonalds the applicant pool is going to grow and include a higher quality worker- those with no skills and with poor to no work history will be left unable to find a job. In college I worked at a foundry and worked hard in some tough conditions to make the money I did which was less than $15 an hour. I personally enjoyed the foundry but I could see where others wouldn't want to deal with those conditions and would take the same money at McDonalds.

For those with kids about to graduate high school and looking for a summer job I highly recommend something like a foundry- excellent money, 40 hours weeks and you gain an appreciation for being able to go to college. I was lucky enough to work each summer and winter break and make decent money.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Then see my post above your last quote! Pay what the JOB is worth to the employer, accept it or not! Forcing it by mandate helps no one. :bash:

I am not forcing anything, I am saying employers should pay employees what each individual merits and fire those that cut the mustard. Not doing so is poor business practice and why companies become too large and bloated.

And i am self employed with 3 people working for me. 1 hourly 2 get paid based on the size of the project. None are close to minimum wage.

I would rather pay one person $15 a hour instead of 3 at $7.25 for the same work. I also don't have to babysit.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    None of those were minimum wage positions to begin with? Great thing he's doing, but when times are lean, are the employees going to respond in kind with pay Cuts?

I doubt it but the arguments are much the same. My take on it: The cost of living out there is high enough that he felt like his employees should be earning a living wage and he did what he could to get it to them. I don't know if individual McDonald's or Pizza Hut franchise owners could do that, probably not to that degree but if there are business owners out there, they can look to this guy as inspiration.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A lot of arguing about something that isn't the debate. No one is saying minimum wage should be forever, that employees won't move on, etc.

You still want those jobs done. It doesn't matter that Timmy moved on and now Sally is taking over. Someone is still going to do that labor, the JOB is the same no matter which WORKER has it. That job should pay enough to live on for the worker while they do that job. Even the most base level job needs to pay replacement costs if its truly "the market" deciding what labor is worth.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    A lot of arguing about something that isn't the debate. No one is saying minimum wage should be forever, that employees won't move on, etc.

You still want those jobs done. It doesn't matter that Timmy moved on and now Sally is taking over. Someone is still going to do that labor, the JOB is the same no matter which WORKER has it. That job should pay enough to live on for the worker while they do that job. Even the most base level job needs to pay replacement costs if its truly "the market" deciding what labor is worth.
    When the market adjusts for it, then fine, gotta do what you have to, when the GOVERNMENT adjusts it, that's a whole different story. If I have to give a raise to keep my competition from my good employee that's one thing, but when I have to raise everyone to an arbitrary number regardless of market conditions, that is wrong!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    None of those were minimum wage positions to begin with? Great thing he's doing, but when times are lean, are the employees going to respond in kind with pay Cuts?

One of the stupidest things a business owner can do during a down turn is cut employees pay... Angry employees will never deliver. that's when you set the bar high and demand more from your employees and most will deliver, those that dont ..... Go to the unemployment line. During bad times you as a employer add insentive / bonus programs along with a high bar..

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    One of the stupidest things a business owner can do during a down turn is cut employees pay... Angry employees will never deliver. that's when you set the bar high and demand more from your employees and most will deliver, those that dont ..... Go to the unemployment line. During bad times you as a employer add insentive / bonus programs along with a high bar..
    Sounds like government, times are bad, spend more! Don't have it to spend, borrow it! Can't borrow, print some more...except business owners can't print more. I was just alluding to the fact that this guy did a good thing, but if the tables turn, I expect few would be willing to return the favor!

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like government, times are bad, spend more! Don't have it to spend, borrow it! Can't borrow, print some more...except business owners can't print more. I was just alluding to the fact that this guy did a good thing, but if the tables turn, I expect few would be willing to return the favor!
    Spending is what stimulates the economy. If businesses cut wages in a downturn then workers spend less. This in turn further hurts the economy.

Top Bottom