• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I can read just fine son, and you don't need to embellish your story as the conversation goes on.
    You have told me so far that, So she pays ' enough tax not to get in trouble '
    And ' she pays MORE than most! '.
    What you have not said is ' she pays the correct taxes for her income and the writeoffs she has '

And with that you told me twice what I needed to know. Done here..
    I'm not your son, and I also said we pay what the accountant says to pay! That's why we have an accountant!

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Nope. Don't confuse corporate with the individual franchise. Easy mistake.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...7940-minimum-wage-increase-4.html#post5741468

I was wondering if you would ever get back around to that post. Since you reposted a reply to me, I'll repost my response.

The average McD's profit margin is a bit better than 25%. See pg. 37 of McD's franchise agreement:

http://www.bluemaumau.org/sites/default/files/MCD 2013 FDD.pdf

P.37 lists margins of 25.9% to 27.6% "excluding rent, service fees, D&A, interest, and income taxes." The note explains that rent in some stores is as high as 37%. That's because rent is a fixed fee plus a percentage of sales. That also doesn't include depreciation.

So the workers are earning the franchise owner 25-27% + his salary as manager if he runs it himself, +4% for corporate. That's quite a step up from 6% a store.

So management doesn't earn their own pay? When I'm in a fast food restaurant, I can always tell who the manager is. S/he is almost always working the hardest.

The second mistake isn't obvious at first, but once its pointed out it becomes so. Is profit for the owner and corporate the only value their labor has? If $2,400,000 passed through an individual McDonald's restaurant and 75% of that isn't McD's profit, where'd the money go? It got spent. Farmers got paid and made money. Truck drivers got paid and made money. Distributors, wholesalers, accountants, lawyers, oil companies, everyone got paid so that the McDonald's could do business, and if the workers didn't work, nobody buys McD's and McD's doesn't have the money to pay them. All of those people sold more goods and services because McDonald's exists and sells $2.4 million of food, and without the workers to prepare it...then what? Fewer cows raised, fewer trucks on the road, fewer accountants counting beans, fewer paper cups being made, etc. etc. The money those people make decreases, the money they spend decreases, etc. etc.

In the same way, if Joe Millionaire starts a company and makes a 5% ROI, that's not the full value of his investment. It's HIS return, but the value to the economy as a whole is much wider due to wages which cycle through the economy.

The money got passed along to the other people (farmers, truck drivers, etc.) for the economic value they created. The minimum wage workers in the store didn't do that part; they didn't create that value. They added on to the value that other people already made.

Yes, everyone who works is part of a larger economy. But nobody can be paid for that part.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can read just fine son, and you don't need to embellish your story as the conversation goes on.
    You have told me so far that, So she pays ' enough tax not to get in trouble '
    And ' she pays MORE than most! '.
    What you have not said is ' she pays the correct taxes for her income and the writeoffs she has '

And with that you told me twice what I needed to know. Done here..

Ironic

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    A girl came in to work today with a petition saying she worked at Mcdonalds and wanted signatures to raise MW. I took the clip board and asked why she needed to be paid more as I was about to sign. But before I could sign it she said "because i work harder than you". Pi**** me off I told her by nights end i will have moved 12 tons of steel by hand and by myself and she replies "well we still have it pretty hard" so i asked if the hamburgers were 100lbs a piece and gave her the petition back without my signature. she got one name on it from our building and thats just because the dude thought she was cute.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A girl came in to work today with a petition saying she worked at Mcdonalds and wanted signatures to raise MW. I took the clip board and asked why she needed to be paid more as I was about to sign. But before I could sign it she said "because i work harder than you". Pi**** me off I told her by nights end i will have moved 12 tons of steel by hand and by myself and she replies "well we still have it pretty hard" so i asked if the hamburgers were 100lbs a piece and gave her the petition back without my signature. she got one name on it from our building and thats just because the dude thought she was cute.

Lol, right on

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

My son told me about this. he has worked for Wendy's for a little over a year.

He's not too worried.

The good workers stay there until they advance to something better, the less than good workers stay there long term or implode and get fired or quit. It's the way of the minimum wage world. The problems are the long-termers who stay. It's sad, really. I honestly believe that there's a job that pays more than minimum wage out there for every hard worker with a good attitude, (almost) regardless of IQ or education...but you have to want it. Staying stationary is always easier.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    GM can buy a Fanuc robot for less than half of one man's wages and benefits. And they are rock solid dependable. As technology gets cheaper and more reliable, the economics will usually drive the business owner to the cheapest, most reliable option. (Which is why you'll see factories with more robots and many fewer employees as you once did). Add to that, operator interfaces such as those we can expect on a McDonald's or Wendy's kiosk will probably look a lot like what folks are used to on their smart phones. This helps lower another hurdle--customer acceptance. This is a bad time to be increasing the cost of your labor but a good time if you manufacture kiosks.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Habla espanol?

Those jobs will be filled and the big losers will be the Americans that used to have them.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, when workers started making more money at the steel mills, the steel mills invested in automation, heavily.

My plant alone employed between 30-36 thousand Union workers in the 80s. Not including bosses or contractors.
    Then in the 2000s, it was 5,000.
    I just heard the other day, were down to 3,000.

Yet, we make more steel than ever.

So, we all make real good wages here. Those of us lucky enough to work.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Well, when workers started making more money at the steel mills, the steel mills invested in automation, heavily.

My plant alone employed between 30-36 thousand Union workers in the 80s. Not including bosses or contractors.
    Then in the 2000s, it was 5,000.
    I just heard the other day, were down to 3,000.

Yet, we make more steel than ever.

So, we all make real good wages here. Those of us lucky enough to work.

Where'd you work? Skynet? :nailbite:

Top Bottom