• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Some variant of one of these, in a Safariland ALS holster.

MP and Sig.JPEG

9mm of course, because that's the most common and plentiful pistol/PCC ammo and will be everywhere.

I do also have an M&P 45, though, which fits the same ALS holsters and will be able to utilize whatever ammo is left after the "muh two world wars" types bite the dust after two weeks of no blood pressure/diabetes meds. Bonus: I can trade their 7 shot antiques for actual useful equipment to people who don't know any better. Or keep a couple around in case I need to drive a nail and can't find my hammer.

I have plenty of mags for either platform and don't worry about scrounging for them. If I have to resort to carrying a Glock, society has collapsed to the point that my depression would make me combat ineffective anyway.

:)

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Right now I alternate carry between a 3” Colt Python and a Dan Wesson 1911 lightweight…… I do need to settle on “ONE” very nice 9mm. I’m a picky ba**ard and dont have any interest in anything striker fired. I can’t do a single stack 1911 in 9mm I just can’t. The way Sig did me….done me in with them. I have a way of really narrowing the playing field I know…..
    Check out the new CZ Shadow 2 Compact. I carry the older P01 and really like it. If I wasn’t already invested in the P01 I’d be looking at the Shadow 2 Compact.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    That gun is going NOWHERE, his limbs could get separated and his torso shall retain that gun. :laugh:

Real answer, my criteria for "overt warfare" sidearms is as follows:

-9mm
    -Full size frame, high capacity 17+
    -RDS support from factory
    -Cowitness backup irons
    -Full size light X300/TLR1
    -Very high reliability
    -Threaded barrel availability
    -Safariland makes a light bearing active retention holster for it
    -No barrel porting, comp, or cool guy lightening cuts due to debris concerns
    -Drop safe
    -No design elements that are excessively stupid or not user friendly

There's a lot of options. The G17MOS is the easiest layup. HK VP9. M&P 2.0. Walther PDP. Staccato.

Plenty more if specifically buying a Safariland 63-series isn't absolutely necessary. Beretta 92, 226, P30, the list just goes on. I honestly think the biggest restriction, apart from basic safety and reliability, is finding something with modern retention holster support including light and optic. No replacement for the latest and greatest Safariland, IMO. But if you do a little research, you can often find some unofficial cross-compatibility between guns that isn't listed on their website. My TP9SF Elite with TLR1 and 507c drops right in to a 6360 for the M&P.

Get what appeals to you, that you can shoot, and that you can afford. Capability matters more than brand. Does it run? Can you carry it effectively on your person? Does it have a light? Does it have a dot? Can you shoot that dot at night under NODs? Do you have a suppressor? Can you swap the suppressor on and shoot it at night, under NODs, without failures? Can you deploy that gun from your holster after getting blown free from your vehicle by an IED, while your rifle sling is trying to strangle you? It's not brand, it's capability. Buy what delivers capability for you, because you do not have a supply clerk telling you to STFU and take the only pistol they have available to give you.

Which is the actual reality for 99.5% of people who bring pistols to war.
    You are describing pretty much where I am with my H&K VP9 Match/PHLSter combo. I have the Enigma with a Floodlight2 for AIWB and a Floodlight with clips for OWB carry, mostly at the range.

The extra weight of the match length barrel and slide is negligible with this holster system because everything between the muzzle and the end of an X300 is a freebie. I got an optics ready pistol with 4x 20 round mags and a voucher to get 4X more free mags (I chose 17-rounders) for $850, a deal I couldn’t pass up.

My only disappointment with the system is I am still shooting with the iron sights. I’ve tried two different Holosun SCS-VP9 red dots and both have had different fit issues. Not sure if I’m going to try a third or maybe an adapter plate with Trijicon. The fit issues I am speaking of are well documented on other internet forums.

Reactions: Ark

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I don’t know that I will ever own another Sig……
    I thought I wanted a Shadow, but then this happened, and I'm not sad about it one bit. I absolutely love this thing. I guess if you want to get technical, it's not actually a SIG...only the slide assembly, barrel, sights, locking insert, sear, and a couple of springs are factory. Everything else is Matrix Precision/Revenant Arms or Grayguns.

My son has the CZ bug so I'm sure one day we'll have a Shadow or TS2 in the mix that I can play with. For the time being his tuned up P09 is nice, but I'll keep my P226. That plastic CZ is good enough to provide a competent rivalry, though!

53784667772_0330b2a910_b_d.jpg

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I laid eyes on one as someone else was buying it. I’ve eyeballed the DWX Compact as well……

I have the DWX compact it is fantastic have put about 1500 rounds threw it since I got it in march. Only bad thing is getting extra mags they are hard to find, I have always been the guy with boxes full of extra magazines.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Everyone in my MAG (except me) has an AR in 556 and a Glock in 9mm.
    So to make the MAG redundant I now carry my Glock 17L and bushmaster AR when doing things within the context of that group. All of the mags interchange and most of the parts interchange.

Personally I use the AK platform and my Sig 229 in 40 (or 357 sig) and would go to that platform. That SIG just flat out shoots once you get used to the double action first shot.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    This time not in jest.

1. Carried a 1911 as a M60 gunner back in the 90’s. IMO worthless weight.
    2. Carried a M9 for years drew it twice in anger once in Iraq I was gonna play tunnel rat. That was stupid I am way too big for that.

In Afghanistan once we got back in a major base like Bargram AB we would throw our M4’s in a rack and carry M9’s. All personnel had to be armed with something and fully loaded at all times.

So a jingle truck driver ran away from the convoy after making threats to see 72 virgins and into our motor pool area. Myself and my buddy took him down and we held him at gunpoint till the MP,s arrived.

Pistols just are not used much IMO if you want one pick one that has serious reliability You also need a retention holster a serious big boy or girl Safariland or something like it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Everyone in my MAG (except me) has an AR in 556 and a Glock in 9mm.
    So to make the MAG redundant I now carry my Glock 17L and bushmaster AR when doing things within the context of that group. All of the mags interchange and most of the parts interchange.

Personally I use the AK platform and my Sig 229 in 40 (or 357 sig) and would go to that platform. That SIG just flat out shoots once you get used to the double action first shot.
    Gotta ask, why the AK platform?

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I have the DWX compact it is fantastic have put about 1500 rounds threw it since I got it in march. Only bad thing is getting extra mags they are hard to find, I have always been the guy with boxes full of extra magazines.
    That in its of would be a problem for me as I always have extra mags…. I looked at a Kimber KDS9C. I liked that one but Kimber has been so sketchy that I just couldn’t.

Top Bottom