• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    With this dry weather it's been perfect for bush hogging my property the down side is it's also perfect conditions to find what I call the meanest insect on earth.

So far I've found two nest, just motoring along minding my own business then all hell breaks loose, I'm glad my tractor has shuttle shift so I can get out of Dodge quickly. I haven't been stung yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before my luck runs out.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like land mines when you are walking in the woods this time of year. You have to keep your eyes ahead of you watching for the stream of them coming and going.

We have had success controlling them near the house by eliminating the queens early in the season.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I got nailed 5 times while fixing a soffit vent not knowing there was a nest present. Let me tell you that was not pleasant. 3 stings on my right arm that hurt like hell. Itched for 3 days one on the side one on the leg :runaway:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

Tradesylver

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2024
    Brown County
    I've been using a mixture of .5 cup apple cider vinegar .5 cup water .5 cup sugar with a dash of Dawn dish soap. Can't remember where I found it but works great on yellow jackets and white faced hornets. Just set it out in a plastic butter container.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I used Sevin Dust on two places this year. Just a small handful dumped at the entrance. They walk thru it when they enter and it killed the nest by the next day.

One was in the ground the other was in a soffit. I did poof some Tempo in the soffit just to get it in a little more.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I used Sevin Dust on two places this year. Just a small handful dumped at the entrance. They walk thru it when they enter and it killed the nest by the next day.

One was in the ground the other was in a soffit. I did poof some Tempo in the soffit just to get it in a little more.
    Thank you for this, I unearthed a nest about a month ago. They'd set up shop at the base of a telephone pole by the rod where a crew had recently removed one and "filled" the hole with gravel. Got into it well enough with the mower that they abandoned it and I thought they were gone.

A few days ago I was walking by the chicken coop and noticed that they'd found a new home. My wife has had this old beeskeep hanging on the coop for several years now without issue, who'd a thunk yellow jackets might find it attractive? :lmfao:

Jxowkg0h.jpg

SCxISP4h.mp4

Been trying to come up with a plan which would avoid burning the coop to the ground. I'm going to give Sevin Dust a shot.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Thank you for this, I unearthed a nest about a month ago. They'd set up shop at the base of a telephone pole by the rod where a crew had recently removed one and "filled" the hole with gravel. Got into it well enough with the mower that they abandoned it and I thought they were gone.

A few days ago I was walking by the chicken coop and noticed that they'd found a new home. My wife has had this old beeskeep hanging on the coop for several years now without issue, who'd a thunk yellow jackets might find it attractive? :lmfao:

Jxowkg0h.jpg

SCxISP4h.mp4

Been trying to come up with a plan which would avoid burning the coop to the ground. I'm going to give Sevin Dust a shot.
    If Sevin Dust doesn't work, Tempo Dust will. I've had less than 100% kill rate with Sevin, Tempo I'm batting 100. They're applied the same (squirt some dust in / around the hole).

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Jxowkg0h.jpg

SCxISP4h.mp4

please advise us on how it goes. This sounds like a good trick.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I've been using a mixture of .5 cup apple cider vinegar .5 cup water .5 cup sugar with a dash of Dawn dish soap. Can't remember where I found it but works great on yellow jackets and white faced hornets. Just set it out in a plastic butter container.

I use a similar mix of 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup apple juice, 4 tbsp sugar in traps like to this. I change it every 3-4 days as the liquid is full of bald faced hornets/yellow jackets.

I get about 20-30 in each trap for the last couple of months. No bees just hornets
    2fcf3cc331148228bf4d99c041f53839.png

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    If I see the nest, I wait till dark, spray nuke juice(Black Flag Wasp Spray), and run like hell inside house. Next day, have a long blade machete, and pry the nest down, doing the Stomp Dance with heavy boots to finish the stragglers...
    No animals harmed in this activity... me!

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Jxowkg0h.jpg

SCxISP4h.mp4

sevin dust the holes they fly in and out and they will spread it through the whole nest. Be dead the next day and NOT come back.

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    I'll be the 3rd person in this thread to vouch for Tempo. I tried Delta dust first and some other kind of powder with little effect on a big nest inside a garage wall. Tempo killed the entire colony in 24 hours while the other products were a waste of money.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I use Seven dust as well. Last year I had to stop mowing, every week I was finding a new nest and getting stung. My hand swelled so bad I couldn't move my fingers. This spring I carried a can of wasp spray and killed three queens as they were getting the dead bugs of the front of my car. Haven't been stung yet or found any nest this year, *knock on wood.

These, ticks and mosquitos are why hiking and camping should be winter activities.

Top Bottom