• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I heard some of the 'red coat' guards Friday morning talking about how nice everyone was. But that was Friday morning and I assumed it was just a very early opinion.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think we got through Sunday with no new shootings. A string of robberies on the far east side and one pistol whipping, but no one shot to my knowledge.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Out of any event held downtown, it was the most crime free. Though there were 3 vehicle break ins for the whole week, that is still SIGNIFICANTLY less than your average colts game, gencon, car show, or random business convention/trade show. Downtown was packed but so well behaved it was like a twilight zone episode. There were several arrests saturday night but they were all local gang member thugs. Everyone loved our city. I was so proud I felt like crying.

Thanks for the info, K. There's just something about Hoosiers that we seem to have our heads on straight. Too bad the rest of the country can't learn from our example.

I went with my father-in-law and we had a great time. Everyone we met was very courteous and the crowds got along just fine. The only things that bothered me were:
    A) Just thinking about how many times everyone was flagged
    B) Not finding a single display gun on 'Safe'. I know there's a lot of people handling the guns, but come on. Safety rules go out the window?

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    Speaking on the safe I was suprised to see hardly anyone checking if the gun was clear before handling. I think I was the only one (except for my wife) I saw checking the chamber.

remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    Was at the convention Saturday. I OC there, from my car all the way down the street to the convention center. Nobody freaked out or nothing. The cops I saw at the convention center were checking out the booths, rather than doing any security. They knew nothing was going to happen.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The family and I went. Me with two .45's. Probably the most polite and clean crowd we have ever encountered. No issues at all. This is the way America is supposed to be.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Oh, and the Indy Star said today that the attendance was nearly "100% white". I saw plenty of diversity at the convention today. Interest in guns is not exclusive to caucasions. What a ridiculous observation by the Star.

will they say that the black expo attendance was 100% black? no that would be racist...

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Thanks for the info, K. There's just something about Hoosiers that we seem to have our heads on straight. Too bad the rest of the country can't learn from our example.

I went with my father-in-law and we had a great time. Everyone we met was very courteous and the crowds got along just fine. The only things that bothered me were:
    A) Just thinking about how many times everyone was flagged
    B) Not finding a single display gun on 'Safe'. I know there's a lot of people handling the guns, but come on. Safety rules go out the window?

flagging is over rated. its a stupid ass term the military came up with so that drill sergeants could yell at recruits. if you really think about how many times you flag yourself and others in one day, and then tried to prevent it, youd end up shooting yourself. im flaging myself as we speak. because my gun is inside my pants, its pointed directly at me. every rifle that was hanging on hooks was flagging people also. somehow everyone who walked by didn't die though.

as for the safe and checking the chambers, guess what, you can handle a loaded gun without it going off!! on the guns that I pulled the trigger, for the most part I checked the chambers before pulling the trigger, and for sure made sure that they were pointed in a safe direction.

people being constantly stuck on "the rules" rather than having common sense approaches to gun safety are what get people hurt IMO, just because someone clears a handgun or rifle in the same manner that they clear their gun at home and then automatically assume that its clear and go ahead and pull the trigger, could lead to an oopsie. this is why everyone should just be conscious of the operation of weapons and what makes what do what more than being worried about flagging people etc.

that being said I would never point a gun at someone let alone pull the trigger, unless im using it to defend myself. this is how a lot of people in the military get shot, horsing around.. pointing guns at people, pulling the trigger and then boom, someones dead. all because "we always clear our weapons before going in the barracks" or "I didn't think it was loaded"

gearjammer21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Me and the wife were there all day on sunday, everyone was friendly and saw a lot of great gift ideas....

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    flagging is over rated. its a stupid ass term the military came up with so that drill sergeants could yell at recruits. if you really think about how many times you flag yourself and others in one day, and then tried to prevent it, youd end up shooting yourself. im flaging myself as we speak. because my gun is inside my pants, its pointed directly at me. every rifle that was hanging on hooks was flagging people also. somehow everyone who walked by didn't die though.

So, I'm sure you'd be down with a bunch of strangers pointing guns at you and dry firing for 4 hours? Many of them armed with their own sidearms, and some of whom deholstered at some point.

It's "Never point a weapon at something you don't intend to destroy" not "whenever you feel like it". I was friends with a German Paratrooper in Afghanistan who just happened to be the closest vehicle when a medic in 1-87 INF, 10th MTN wasted his buddy while playing quick-draw in the tents. Put a 9 milli-mill right through his friend's throat, and mein Freund was traumatized from how much blood was all over his jeep from the guy bleeding out. This was in addition to the other ND's those losers had (they average 1 per 10 days).

I make it a point not to flag myself, my family, or anyone else. If you find yourself doing it daily, you've got a problem. Blow your nuts off if you want, but we'd all prefer you didn't bum around with a shoulder rig and point a loaded weapon at everyone behind you.

The rules are absolutes because the odds can catch up with you at the worst time, and that 0.01% chance that some bastard "dry fired" a loaded weapon may be at you, your wife, your kid, etc. But, I'm sure you'd be very understanding. :n00b:

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area

as for the safe and checking the chambers, guess what, you can handle a loaded gun without it going off!! on the guns that I pulled the trigger, for the most part I checked the chambers before pulling the trigger, and for sure made sure that they were pointed in a safe direction.

people being constantly stuck on "the rules" rather than having common sense approaches to gun safety are what get people hurt IMO, just because someone clears a handgun or rifle in the same manner that they clear their gun at home and then automatically assume that its clear and go ahead and pull the trigger, could lead to an oopsie. this is why everyone should just be conscious of the operation of weapons and what makes what do what more than being worried about flagging people etc.

that being said I would never point a gun at someone let alone pull the trigger, unless im using it to defend myself. this is how a lot of people in the military get shot, horsing around.. pointing guns at people, pulling the trigger and then boom, someones dead. all because "we always clear our weapons before going in the barracks" or "I didn't think it was loaded"

I'll agree that common sense should always be used... sure. And you should never get complacent through habit. That's a quick trip to the ER or worse for you or someone else. But that being said, as a member of the military... I feel the flagging bit is a good general safety rule. Being stuck on "the rules" as you put it, keeps people alive. Rules are rules for a reason. You don't know me... would you simply accept a weapon from me without checking it if I handed it to you, assuming that I handed you an empty weapon? I hope not. If you said yes, then you are actually contributing to the very thing that gets people shot.

As for the military... part of what causes negligent discharges ESPECIALLY at clearing barrels is the actual procedure itself. The Army for instance, requires that you pull the trigger as a step. Most of the ND's on a base come from that right there. The Navy's clearing barrel procedures are completely different. The Navy drops the mag, and clears the chamber manually. The Navy also REQUIRES two person integrity. Mock it if you want, but it is what it is. As for you talking with such expertise on "how a lot of people in the military get shot" I'd beg to differ. Most are actually accidents. Real accidents, not the "I was pointing my weapon at him and it went off" accident. Those people that screw around are the people that don't take "the rules" seriously. Those are the people I, and the others in command are quick to correct. Like anything though, the bad press is what people hear about.

We SHOULD be able to rely on common sense to rule. We should be able to do a lot of things. There's warning labels on McDonalds coffee telling you it's hot too.

Top Bottom