Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    What reason would that be?

They may not be entirely forthcoming or truthful in their explanations of transmission, but that merely undermines my faith in what they say. When people supposedly protected by protocol are being infected, however, it raises my suspicion. I've read about the virus surviving in droplets, perhaps from a sneeze or a cough. One of those lands in your eye or mouth, and there you are. Airborne transmission.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I suppose one man's airborne is not another man's airborne and we can argue definitions all day. I think we can safely say it's too easy to get and too deadly if you do get it.

If I make a mistake in full MOP gear and that minimal mistake will kill me regular folks stand little chance.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If I make a mistake in full MOP gear and that minimal mistake will kill me regular folks stand little chance.

My understanding is that these nurses were not decked out in level IV positive pressure, biohazard suits, but your more garden variety gowns, masks, goggles, gloves, rubber boots, etc.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    :tinfoil:
    So... uh... in a typical .gov mission creep... uh... well...

CDC considers adding names of health workers monitored for Ebola to no-fly list | Fox News
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is considering adding the names of health care workers being monitored for the Ebola virus to the government's no-fly list, federal officials tell Fox News.

Recognizing this will provide fodder for people to think the ebola response is a premeditated effort to curtail civil liberties, I will simply say that .gov is not organized or competent enough to truly pull off a plan like that.

Instead, I will stand by my position that this is simply an opportunity for .gov to do something like that. More like an accident than a design.

But no, I will not argue terribly stridently against anyone that disagrees.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Never let a crisis go to waste and all that.

Positive pressure, hadn't thought of that, may need to make provisions.

This would be glorious except for all the fatalities.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Speaking of fatalities, so far in the US this is contained to a population in the middle class in socio-economic terms. People who have awareness of and access to decent medical care. If this spreads to a population, demographically, in the lower class (homeless people or even "working poor") or a geographic area (extreme rural or in a "slum" area of a big city) that doesn't have access to medical care, that localization would be at severe risk.

More info on the nurses, as Pham is transported to NIH hospital in Washington (another indictment of Texas Presbyterian, methinks):
    http://www.thonline.com/news/national_world/article_30f53540-5538-11e4-83ee-0017a43b2370.html
    As Thomas Eric Duncan's health deteriorated, nurses Amber Joy Vinson and Nina Pham were at the Ebola patient's side.
    They wore protective gear including face shields, hazardous materials suits and protective footwear as they inserted catheters, drew blood and dealt with his body fluids. Still, the two somehow contracted Ebola from the dying man.

Duncan's medical records, provided to The Associated Press by his family, note that after he was placed in isolation in the intensive care unit, Pham and Vinson were among the nurses actively engaged in his care.
    On Oct. 1, Pham wrote in her morning progress note that two nurses entered Duncan's room wearing Tyvek suits, respirators, triple booties, triple gloves and an apron. Her report describes nurses repositioning Duncan. They also mopped the floor with bleach and wiped down surfaces.
    Vinson was with him Sept. 30, the day he tested positive for Ebola. The reports say she too wore protective gear and a face shield, hazardous materials suit and protective footwear. At the time, Duncan's body fluids were highly infectious. He had "extremely watery diarrhea," a fever of 102.7 and severe stomach pain. An hour later, Vinson inserted a catheter.
    Early the next morning she came in again, again wearing the protective gear as well as a respirator mask. Later that night she cared for him again, with similar protection and with Duncan exhibiting similar symptoms.
    The evening before Duncan died, Vinson was at his bedside. She wrote that she wore full protective gear as she gave him a bag of saline in an IV.

Not completely clear the date when Pham was exposed, but for Vinson, it may have been as late as Oct. 7. Both were only part of his treatment when he was in isolation, so after Sept. 28.

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    :tinfoil:
    So... uh... in a typical .gov mission creep... uh... well...

CDC considers adding names of health workers monitored for Ebola to no-fly list | Fox News

Recognizing this will provide fodder for people to think the ebola response is a premeditated effort to curtail civil liberties, I will simply say that .gov is not organized or competent enough to truly pull off a plan like that.

Instead, I will stand by my position that this is simply an opportunity for .gov to do something like that. More like an accident than a design.

But no, I will not argue terribly stridently against anyone that disagrees.

Prediction - those people will never get off that list unless they spend a bunch of money via the court system.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Timeline update.

Thanks to:
    A look at sick nurses contact with Ebola patient | The Miami Herald

Using the medical records provided to the AP from the Duncan family-
    Pham had contact Sept. 29, 30(?), Oct. 1(?), and Oct. 7 - the day before he died.
    Vinson had contact Sept. 30, Oct. 1, 6(?), and 7.

From another link, there is evidence to suggest that the sicker the victim is, the more contagious they are (makes sense, because it means more of the virus is present in more of the victim's cells/fluids).

As a reminder, Pham was symptomatic with a low grade fever on Oct. 10 (3 days after last contact, 12 days after first contact), admitted to hospital Oct. 11. Vinson reported a low grade fever (before flying) on Oct. 13 (6 days after last contact, 14 days after first contact) and admitted Oct. 14.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Oh :poop:!

Don't mind that, by the way, we're going to have to shut down this thread. Everyone in here is to be quarantined and observed for no less then 30 days. Somebody call the hazmat team. :puke:

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My understanding is that these nurses were not decked out in level IV positive pressure, biohazard suits, but your more garden variety gowns, masks, goggles, gloves, rubber boots, etc.

CDC has communicated with Hospitals on how to isolate patients with suspect Ebola
    disease and how to protect HCW's from contracting the disease.
    Patient Placement: Private Room with bathroom.
    PPE Requirements: All persons entering a room should wear: Gloves, impermeable gown,
    eye protection and a facemask
    Additional PPE if vomit, blood, feces or other body fluids are present: double
    gloving, disposable show covers, leg coverings.
    Equipment: Dedicated medical equipment preferably disposable. If non-disposable
    equipment is used it must be cleaned and disinfected according to manufacturer's
    guidelines.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since it "isn't airborne" positive pressure suits wouldn't be needed, nor would negative pressure hospital rooms?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As I said earlier, this is going to get expensive...then we will run out of gear.

Won't be long before the cities look like their own personal Liberia's if this starts spreading.

Top Bottom