• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You should really watch it (or read the more or less verbatim transcript above).

His talking points are more about ignoring the MSM talking points. That's always a solid message to get out IMHO.

Ignore the people who are saying that the efforts to control and contain this are being ignored?

Or ignore the ones who say there's no risk of Ebola making it to the U.S.?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You have to remember that in the middle of all of this, you have to remember that there is politics in the mix. With mid-term elections coming, the party in charge has to appear to be effectively leading. The party out of power needs to show that there is a lack of leadership.

Check.

and double check.

I think we are seeing exactly both of those.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ignore the people who are saying that the efforts to control and contain this are being ignored?

Or ignore the ones who say there's no risk of Ebola making it to the U.S.?

These are trick questions, right? :)

What I got out of it to ignore both, basically. It is deadly. It is serious. We need to take it seriously. The people working directly with the disease - the medical people - are taking it seriously.

But, at the same time, it is not yet even an outbreak. The infections of medical workers are a problem, but the reality is (when he said it, and even still), there has not been a documented case of a member of the general public (that is, not a direct-contact medical worker) infecting another member of the general public.

Something I've found myself pointing out to people who are worried in real life is that ebola has killed less than 10,000 people total (after today, it is a bit more than that, but my point is still basically valid). Of the things to spend energy worrying about for most people in the general public, ebola shouldn't even be in the top 10.

Personally, I myself am inconsistent in how much to worry about this. I'm taking a wait and see position. If they can keep it confined to the Texas Presbyterian hospital contacts, then I think everything will be ok. In about 60 days, we can join Senegal and Nigeria (probably) and Spain (maybe) in the ebola-free category.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't worry, your government is on the job!

B0LQdIvCYAANw7h.jpg:large

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    These are trick questions, right? :)

What I got out of it to ignore both, basically. It is deadly. It is serious. We need to take it seriously. The people working directly with the disease - the medical people - are taking it seriously.

But, at the same time, it is not yet even an outbreak. The infections of medical workers are a problem, but the reality is (when he said it, and even still), there has not been a documented case of a member of the general public (that is, not a direct-contact medical worker) infecting another member of the general public.

Something I've found myself pointing out to people who are worried in real life is that ebola has killed less than 10,000 people total (after today, it is a bit more than that, but my point is still basically valid). Of the things to spend energy worrying about for most people in the general public, ebola shouldn't even be in the top 10.

Personally, I myself am inconsistent in how much to worry about this. I'm taking a wait and see position. If they can keep it confined to the Texas Presbyterian hospital contacts, then I think everything will be ok. In about 60 days, we can join Senegal and Nigeria (probably) and Spain (maybe) in the ebola-free category.
    I'd be less worried if the powers that be kept telling me not to be worried. :):

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'd be less worried if the powers that be kept telling me not to be worried. :):

haha

Amen! (<---- we can still say that, right?)

I, too, wish they would be more honest about what they know and what they don't know. Their confidence comes across as arrogance, or even hubris. Especially when they turn out to be wrong, but still have the same - or more - confidence.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Let me ask you a question to get a better understanding of where you're coming from, have you ever worked for the government in a non armed-forces role?

I have and I do. State and county.

I personally go above and beyond, no bonus. I guess I just figure that's part of the job. My bonus is my paycheck.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    People in Texas coming off 21 day quarantine.
    'Zero Risk': Dozens Come Off Ebola Watch List in Texas - NBC News

Here's a problem, though. Statement by Clay Jenkins, local leader of the emergency response
    “There’s zero risk that any of those people that have been marked off the list have Ebola,” he said.

The risk is not zero, based on scientific research. Statistically, it may be a number approaching zero, but it is not zero. At least not for another 21 days.

I just wish they would be honest.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    People in Texas coming off 21 day quarantine.
    'Zero Risk': Dozens Come Off Ebola Watch List in Texas - NBC News

Here's a problem, though. Statement by Clay Jenkins, local leader of the emergency response

The risk is not zero, based on scientific research. Statistically, it may be a number approaching zero, but it is not zero. At least not for another 21 days.

I just wish they would be honest.

We started hearing people say 25 days was the magic number, but then some leading epidemiologist starting talking 42 days like you reference.
    Having said that, I think that none of those people getting sick is encouraging. From some of the stories I had heard, I am a bit surprised.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    One mans airborne is another mans aerosol apparently. Probably adds to the confusion in terminology when folks talk about the disease being 'airborne'. You can get it through the air both ways, just propagates less when it's aerosol.

https://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/2...llow_share=true&escape=false&view_mode=scroll

From the US Army Medical Management of Biological Casualties Handbook:

VIRAL HEMORRHAGIC FEVERS (VHFs) page 117

Lassa, CCHF,Ebola, and Marburg viruses may be particularly prone to nosocomial spread due to periods of high viremia corresponding with bleeding propensity. In several instances, secondary infections among contacts and medical personnel without direct body fluid exposure have been documented. These instances have prompted concern of a rare phenomenon of aerosol transmission of infection. Therefore, when VHF is suspected, additional infection control measures are indicated.
    The patient should be hospitalized in a private room with an adjoining anteroom to be used for donning and removing protective barriers, storage of supplies, and decontamination of laboratory specimen containers. A negative-pressure isolation room with 6–12 air exchanges per h is ideal for all VHF patients and is strongly advised for patients with significant cough, hemorrhage, or diarrhea. All persons entering the room should wear double gloves, impermeable gowns with leg and shoe coverings (contact isolation), eye protection and HEPA (N-95) masks or positive-pressure air-purifying respirators (PAPRs).

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Oh, bloody heck...too close. It's not like the health care and societies are much different than where this disease originated the few blocks outside of central Chicago. The onset of winter might slow the spread...or at least keep folks inside more. If the millions in and around Chi/Gary decide to leave in a hurry things will get interesting in an oriental blessing sort of way.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I picked up my monthly prescriptions at CVS the other day, the gentleman that waited on me was obviously African. I have to admit, ebola immediately crossed my mind.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It's not really amusing...the things we need to think about now.

Hopefully he wasn't sneezing, sweating, wiping his nose...
    Seems like everyone in there is always sick. I guess that is expected when a big percentage of your clientele is sick. The wife insists we only use the drive thru these days to lessen our exposure to other people in the drug store because of that.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Seems like everyone in there is always sick. I guess that is expected when a big percentage of your clientele is sick. The wife insists we only use the drive thru these days to lessen our exposure to other people in the drug store because of that.

I would agree about only using the drive through, but their rather cheap prices on whiskey and other alcohol pretty much make me go inside the store.

Top Bottom