• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Not to de-rail this thread too much but are you implying that federal govt workers should never get a bonus? How are the good ones suppposed to be rewarded above and beyond the bad ones if they aren't allowed to give bonuses? Also, you don't have a very good understanding of how govt pay systems work if you don't think any bonuses should be awarded to anybody...

FWIW, If I understand things correctly, a govt worker that has been deployed to a war-zone etc, upon returning home, does not get any time off unless he/she chooses to use his own time off, or he/she is awarded a time-off award. I believe such an award qualifies as a bonus in the financial accounting department but in all reality that person is just getting what they deserve (a little time off to be with their family after being seperated for months) and they aren't making any additional income, they just have to come to work a little bit less.

That's all I'll say in an attempt to keep this thread on track.... just trying to point out that while that article does point out some pretty serious problems ($63k bonus for 1 guy?) I bet MOST of that bonus money was earned and well-deserved by the people that got it and probably totalled less than $1000 for 99% of employees that got a bonus of any form.

Veterans yes. Bureaucrats no. Are the CDC (IRS etc.) deployed to war zones at pay below minimum wage?

CDC p*ssed away funds that could have been better spent. At the very least, if you're wasting taxpayer dollars, don't come back sniveling about how the big bad Republicans' budget-cutting endangered the nation.

And I have a VERY good idea of how government pay systems work.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Do you mean to say barky has someone competent in one of the appointed positions? OMG, keep him there! If you make him the ebola czar the next surgeon general will be someone that isn't qualified to kill a bug, and who's to say the surgeon general would be qualified to deal with ebola? I know, we have bureaucracy in place hat should take care of these things, but, you know.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Veterans yes. Bureaucrats no.

Ah, so if you're a veteran you can but otherwise no? There is a large portion of people you left out of that. Bureaucrats do not encompass all non-veteran government employees.

I'm not saying we disagree philosophically (yet), just that your post seemed to imply that nobody should ever get a bonus.

Are the CDC (IRS etc.) deployed to war zones at pay below minimum wage?

Are active duty guys deployed at pay below minimum wage? No? So what is your point? The point is, there are MANY, MANY things that can be done that warrant a bonus for going above and beyond the call of duty or your job description (for the civilian) where a bonus would be justified. I don't think it would be fair to say that nobody should ever get a bonus... what grounds do you have to support that position? If you would like we can carry this on in another thread, just let me know and I'll start it.

CDC p*ssed away funds that could have been better spent. At the very least, if you're wasting taxpayer dollars, don't come back sniveling about how the big bad Republicans' budget-cutting endangered the nation.

That, I do not disagree with. They absolutely pissed away funds that could have otherwise been used for meaningful purposes. But does that mean that Jim, down in IT, that stayed late several nights the W/E 04/12/14 to fix the major IT glitch that happened, who didn't get paid OS because he wasn't authorized for OS that month, shouldn't get the $250 bonus his supervisor nominated him for?

And I have a VERY good idea of how government pay systems work.

Then show it; if you know how it works then you know that I'm not full of crap, and you know that what is seen as "bonus" by the media is most likely actually an award that was deserved by it's recipient.

Let me ask you a question to get a better understanding of where you're coming from, have you ever worked for the government in a non armed-forces role?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    From the article: "reported risk factors and showed symptoms that could indicate an infection"

In other words, the same as dozens of others around the country.
    Follow the source link to the CBS article. Says he confirmed he had been around somebody that had been infected. I wouldn't be so quick to toss this out, but I'd certainly want to see the blood test results before I got concerned.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    THe page isn't loading for me (Safari and Mozilla). What's Cliff's version?
    Stay calm and don't panic. Don't listen to those in the media who are promoting the panic and worry more about flu. He went on to say that it's mid term elections and those in power are trying to show they are strong on this issue and those not in power are trying to show that those in power have lost control...And so on...it was a good piece and he is right.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    THe page isn't loading for me (Safari and Mozilla). What's Cliff's version?

Some high points from his speech:

For the next few minutes I’m gonna give you the facts on Ebola. It’ll take just three minutes. But first, today, given what we know, you should have no concerns about Ebola at all — none, I promise. Unless a medical professional has contacted you personally and told you about some sort of possible exposure, fear not. Do not listen to the hysterical voices on the radio and the television or read the fear-provoking words online.

The CDC director told us, all of us, yesterday that he did indeed expect other healthcare workers at that hospital who treated that one dying patient to contract the virus — and that’s now happened. Another healthcare worker at that same hospital now has Ebola.

They tell us they’re transferring her to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. Now, before she showed symptoms she flew from Cleveland to Dallas on Frontier Airlines. They say she should not have done that but she did. But as we all now know, if you don’t show symptoms you are not contagious. She did not show symptoms, according to the doctors.

You have to remember that in the middle of all of this, you have to remember that there is politics in the mix. With mid-term elections coming, the party in charge has to appear to be effectively leading. The party out of power needs to show that there is a lack of leadership.

There is no information to suggest that the virus has spread to anyone in the general population in America. Not one person in the general population in the United States.

Best advice for you and your family at this moment? Get a flu shot.

Your highlights may vary.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hmmmm. Profundity abounds.

Wonder if he'll continue with the talking points if things take a turn for the worse.
    You should really watch it (or read the more or less verbatim transcript above).

His talking points are more about ignoring the MSM talking points. That's always a solid message to get out IMHO.

Top Bottom