• T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    From a tip in another thread from GP:
    News from The Associated Press

On Duncan's first visit to an ER:
    When he first showed up at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, the man complained of abdominal pain, dizziness, a headache and decreased urination. He reported severe pain - rating it an eight on a scale of 10. Doctors gave him CT scans to rule out appendicitis, stroke and numerous other serious ailments. Ultimately, he was prescribed antibiotics and told to take Tylenol, then returned to the apartment where he was staying with a Dallas woman and three other people.

So, now we know at the time of this visit, he was contagious - fever, abdominal pain, etc. Totally symptomatic. But, no one took any ebola precautions.

And everyone involved in processing him in the ER, doing the CT, then cleaning up the room afterwards has been contact traced and is under observation? I believe that's what they've said at press conferences.

I'm skeptical.

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    it is amazing that as of now there are no other confirmed patients. he was contagious and in public and so far no one else has officially contracted ebola from him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, in fairness, it can take up to 21 days (apparently). It may be another week or so before we know if anyone else was directly infected.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    8b1TJI8l.jpg

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I believe there were some INGOers here not long ago telling us we had nothing to worry about. Their presence and reassurance is requested.

Methinks they're probably duct-taping themselves into their bunkers as I type...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh. Snap.

Any indication if this health care worker was from the initial visit our when he was admitted into isolation?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I suspect that the new case happened for no other reason than that they aren't as careful with basic disease transmission precautions as you might think.

Might be something as simple as a nurse who took off her protective suit only to touch it with bare hands when throwing it in a bag.

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    Haven't read amy thing as to how/when the worker caught it. I'd speculate it would have been the first visit when they weren't expecting his condition to be ebola, but only my limited information opinion

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    There are at least five different strains of Ebola and each strain takes a different course of action and treatment. Just sayin.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    So is Ebola still being racist, or has CNN come down off the ledge yet?

I don't think they actually know there was a "breach in protocol" leading to the transmission. Lots of surmise... So it's hard to catch, but certain medical procedures are hard to do right without risk of infection...

I feel much better now.

:puke:

Last edited:

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Probably occurred while removing the ppe this is not a simple task. We need to be aware and educated the best we can to stop this in its tracks. Stopping it in Africa is critical regardless of isolation because it is impossible to be completely isolated today. We need to have open discussions with all parties and educate everyone. Fear of the unknown is worst case scenario here so is being so certain the government is always out to get you. This is part of why it continues to spread in Africa. Education and facts matter.

Top Bottom