• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I usually avoid the internet-toughguy-membermeasuring contests but will add to those looking for factual information:

Have ya been hit? Have you been kicked in the crotch? Had blood streaming down into your eyes? Had your head jarred from a punch/kick to the head?

Before you spend much time quoting things you've read in some "expert" article or prepping for what mystery move you're gonna throw, make sure you know what it feels like to hurt. I've known some practitioners of one discipline or another who sparred / kumite only in light contact. If you've got no experience with what it feels like to be punched/kicked/bloodied/winded, you might not want to be in real danger during your virgin experience.

Your survival may depend being able to keep a clear head and power thru pain/injury.

PS- Interesting article about ground fighting. Yeah, a street fight may end up on the ground. It may not. The experience is NOT the same for vertical fighting and ground fighting: as analogous to swimming vs diving, though both may involve the other or transition in between the two.

"Foul moves?" Dirty fighting? BS. If the reference of "foul moves" means "tricks," yeah... sure. See above. Ground /grappling ain't the same. Fight fair? Again, BS. You inflict enough pain / injury to stop their ability or desire to continue to fight then you get the heck out of dodge.

Street fighting is NOT a dojo or a MMA mat.:n00b:

Every time someone indulges tough guy fantasies on the net, a kitten dies. :D

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I usually avoid the internet-toughguy-membermeasuring contests but will add to those looking for factual information:

I agree and I wasn't trying to make it that at all...just honest discussion about the topic at hand.

Have ya been hit? Have you been kicked in the crotch? Had blood streaming down into your eyes? Had your head jarred from a punch/kick to the head?

I hadn't...but did in a class and got shocked majorly as to how things really work.

Before you spend much time quoting things you've read in some "expert" article or prepping for what mystery move you're gonna throw, make sure you know what it feels like to hurt. I've known some practitioners of one discipline or another who sparred / kumite only in light contact. If you've got no experience with what it feels like to be punched/kicked/bloodied/winded, you might not want to be in real danger during your virgin experience.
    Good thoughts, but Cecil is a real "expert." I've trained with him, he's a major player, everything he does is pressure tested full on.

Your survival may depend being able to keep a clear head and power thru pain/injury.

PS- Interesting article about ground fighting. Yeah, a street fight may end up on the ground. It may not. The experience is NOT the same for vertical fighting and ground fighting: as analogous to swimming vs diving, though both may involve the other or transition in between the two.

"Foul moves?" Dirty fighting? BS. If the reference of "foul moves" means "tricks," yeah... sure. See above. Ground /grappling ain't the same. Fight fair? Again, BS. You inflict enough pain / injury to stop their ability or desire to continue to fight then you get the heck out of dodge.

Street fighting is NOT a dojo or a MMA mat.:n00b:

You can simulate it pretty damn close. Put on trainer weapons, come up with a quick situation, have one or more guys be the bad-guy(s) and one guy be the good guy and simulate an unscripted assault. Anything is allowed meaning the bad guy may ask for money then leave you alone. Maybe 3 guys will jump you at once. You can come pretty close to seeing how some of these things would really work out. Temper that from people who have been there and doing that for their entire careers, have seen thousands of videos of real assaults happen and been involved with hundreds up close and personal, cross that with crime statistics, dash of sugar and you can get a much better idea than a basic internet video. Rinse and repeat every week in and around training the individual pieces that will make you better at the overall.

One key observation is that things go to the ground more often than they don't. Guys have wrestled since they were little with brothers, neighbors, etc. What happens when little kids fight? One trips the other, they fall on the ground, and they roll around. What happens when two adults who don't know much about fighting fight? More often than not they close distance, wrap up in some sort of screwed up tangle, then fall on the ground. What's the most commonly trained combat sport for people walking around on the streets? High school wrestling. How many people on the street know anything about honest to goodness attribute based boxing? Very damn few. I certainly agree not to train just ground/grappling, but to ignore it means you lose more often than if you didn't ignore it. Cecil's article was just trying to explain to people that grabbing for balls or poking eyes will not rescue your bacon as often as you think it might.

I wasn't aiming this at you paddling_man, just trying to refocus why I linked his article. I'm still new to this whole part of training, and I'm trying to pass on a little of what we've seen come through pretty clearly thus far.

Damn right!

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    getting punched in the face is pretty jarring (ever seen stars?) your face is where all of your sense come together, and when someone lays into it it basically messes everything up..a good one to the nose makes your eyes water and hurts like hell...ive been punched plenty of times and every single blow was very unpleasant...hence me returning fire with a fury....but im no tough guy(saved a kitten)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yes/yes/yes and lived through most of right up until I DIED IN THE END.....:stickpoke:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Have ya been hit?
    Yes, quite often while I was going through my 20's...
    Have you been kicked in the crotch?
    Had blood streaming down into your eyes?
    Had your head jarred from a punch/kick to the head?

Sooo...
    How did I do on your little test?!
    Good...
    I hate Cats anyway...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Not my test, yours. You tell me? Didja pass? ;) Since you can still post, i'm guessing you did.

Are your knuckles chaliced?

No, my knuckles are not chaliced...
    Sigh...
    I wish though...

I did learn one thing out of all of it though....
    If you go into a Turk Bar, don't try to pick up anyone's Sister, Cousin, Niece, Girlfriend, Fiance, Wife, or Mistress. Hell just stay away from the Turkish Women no matter how good she may look.... ;)

Top Bottom