• ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    CALLUS!!!

A Chalice is something you drink from...

I'm not sure what a chalice is so I couldn't tell you how much it hurts but I do know that a beer bottle to the head hurts. That one ended in a stoppage by LEO. I need to work on my skills while trying to see/breathe through OC. And I don't fully agree with having callous built up will save your knuckles. I've broken one of mine on someone's head (it ended the fight so that was an ok result, I guess). The majority of my boxing work was done with hand wraps or light gloves to build my hands.

Someone should go tell Bas not to punch in a street fight! Yaou would get "bang-ed da bang-ed da banged!"

Nah, Bas would only need the first bang unless you were also a high level fighter.

I do know what works best on me and that has always been an open hand. I've worked a little with a guy that dabbles in training boxers (and does some of the striking training for a local Gracie BJJ school when they're doing MMA training). I was to the point of walking into the punch with my chin down rather than pulling away/trying to bob and weave away (outside of training).

tatertot, I've had my share of punches to the dome with the first and middle knuckles. While it doesn't feel good, it always did more damage to their hand then my head. Even though I'm fairly confident with striking, and to a lesser degree grappling (getting back to building groundwork is in the plans), my preferred method is avoidance these days.

jeremy, I've seen the wonders of some nice brick work ending a few fights. Chains work well too. I'll do anything I can to avoid steel toes and a baseball bat, once for both at the same time was more than enough for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having grown up in "Eagletucky" I have been street fighting since like forever. I trained and did some full contact fighting in the very early 70's. I have wrecked my wrist with a hammer fist blow and still feel the effects of that injury at times. The chop is likely to break the bone in you hand if delivered to a hard point with no training. The palm strike is very effective if properly delivered as you can get the whole mass of you body behind it.
    All that said, most folks still come at you in hopes of the all ending one strike sucker punch or first blow usually to the head. Be patient and use their mass and momentum against them. Side step or direct there energy off in a different direction. This is easier than you think as they are coming forward and committed to this with body mass and speed. It has worked well for me. If you run into someone with training then you are in a real fight.
    Then you have the occasion that you just can not resist punching some A$$ hat in the face....Every scenario is different. Learn to see these things developing around you and avoid like Sepe says. Live to fight another day. Bricks are good too. Baseball bat have limitations.
    Stay clear enough to get away or draw you EDC and then get away.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't worry about fighting anymore I carry a gun at all times. .45 trumps fist.
    A gun should never be a substitute for seeking adequate self-defense training. The general rule of thumb is that an attacker within 21 feet can close that distance before even a highly skilled/trained person can draw an OC weapon. We've practiced this many times and even with a relatively slow, untrained person they are still able to close a distance of about 18 feet before getting a weapon to a position capable of delivering a shot. Although, a running attacker is relatively easy to counter provided he is unarmed, you cannot assume that he will not have a knife and so FoF, retention, and hand to hand training are essential aspects to personal protection training one should continuously seek.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Rigid hand toward bridge of nose. If all works correctly, middle and ring fingers part across the, with bridge of the nose two fingers headed toward each eye socket. Can't See, Can't Fight. I have also been taught to make sort of a half fist, with fingers bent at first knuckle, and drive at an attackers throat. Hurts like hell in the esophagus.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Knees, nuts and windpipe.

Pirates don't grow old by fighting fair. Heck, you grow old by avoiding fights, but I digress. The best fight ends QUICKLY so you can beat feet. ;)

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I hate to keep dragging out great material from Cecil...well no, I don't.

Dirty Tactics and Grappling

Don't rely on dirty tactics to win the day. We train with these, and his points are spot on. Dirty tactics from a bad position equals someone who is in a better position who is more pissed off. Even some very basic BJJ material you can learn in a weekend can walk all over most dirty tactics in their effectiveness against a fighting opponent.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I agree, striking, especially with a closed fist, is a bad idea outside of the boxing ring.

1) You can do waaaaaaaaaaaay more damage (and deliver more pain) with an open hand through proper joint manipulation.
    2) You won't hurt yourself.
    3) Most fights turn into wrestling matches real quick anyway, so what's the point of hurting your grappling hand by throwing a punch in the first second of a 1 minute fight?

If you are going to punch, aim for something soft.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If I were to throw a punch, it'd going to be just below your ribcage...once I sucker punch the air out of you, I'm going to throw you down on the ground...

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Lol this guy is an idiot. Half of what he said is so far from the truth its not funny. You can definitely mess you hand up....i don't argue that, but there are plenty of people I train mma with that I don't want punching me without a glove. Everything is circumstantial...even the best most trained fighters can break their hand with one punch...just as the most inexperienced fighter can land that lucky punch. 99% of people don't need to be out there trying to karate chop people lol.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    All kicking in the nuts will do is slow them down an little, and **** them off a LOT.

When in a fight, the first thing you'll want to do is out-maneuver your opponent, through a side step or a duck under or spin or any other means that will put you at his side or back.

Once you have gained a superior position on your opponent, you can then try to subdue them.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    If I were to throw a punch, it'd going to be just below your ribcage...once I sucker punch the air out of you, I'm going to throw you down on the ground...

Then shin to the groin...surely you can find something there to attack

Have you actually tried these against someone who isn't in their own little world texting or something? Things don't really work out like you think they do if this is your plan.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fights are seldom planed. Ambushes are planed but seldom work out "As" planed unless you are John Wayne.
    A fight is fluid, moving, evolving and never works out as planed. Been there, done that and lived through most. Never absolutely won a fight. I may have walked away but there was always a price to pay at some level.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Have you actually tried these against someone who isn't in their own little world texting or something? Things don't really work out like you think they do if this is your plan.

You're right, I prefer stabbing and shooting people instead. But seriously though, I've never been in a fight largely to do with 1) me not putting myself in that kind of situations, 2) my stockiness tends to scare away some of the trouble starters, and 3) people know I carry a flashlight, two knives, and a gun.

EDIT:

oh yea, and 4) I move quick for a fat guy.

Top Bottom