• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, as you might guess from my name, I like to grapple, too... But I've Had to round out my game, because not everyone cooperates. If you run into a guy who was a collegiate wrestler and decides he wants the fight to stay up, you better have a good plan b...

That is usually obvious from the get go. I am not the fastest guy at my age but I am more than fair with my hands. A lot of the training was close in and take down if needed. That and I fight really dirty as I get older. If I run into a collegiate wrestler I am following Jeramy's 1st rule of self defense.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    That is usually obvious from the get go. I am not the fastest guy at my age but I am more than fair with my hands. A lot of the training was close in and take down if needed. That and I fight really dirty as I get older. If I run into a collegiate wrestler I am following Jeramy's 1st rule of self defense.

The other problem for a grappler, though, is that the environment does not always lend itself to going to the ground. Great way to see what size boots his four best friends wear...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Well, as you might guess from my name, I like to grapple, too... But I've Had to round out my game, because not everyone cooperates. If you run into a guy who was a collegiate wrestler and decides he wants the fight to stay up, you better have a good plan b...
    Plan B...
    Stab the Bastages....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The other problem for a grappler, though, is that the environment does not always lend itself to going to the ground. Great way to see what size boots his four best friends wear...

That is another issue we have to deal with if it goes to the floor. I hate that. Waking up the next AM with boot prints on your back and a$$. There is no set of rules or sequence of events in a real fight. I mean a real one. You go for every advantage that offers itself up. Like I said, old guys fight real dirty.

Well, there is Jeremy's plan "B" to consider..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm saying that without gloves on they shouldn't. It's risky for the person throwing the punch, and the reward isn't worth the risk because there are several other blows that are just as good without the risk.

There is a spot where the jaw meets the skull, the hinge point or "The button"
    Hard to resist if that advantage is open. Just saying, not all head shots are damaging to a proper strike. Temple, straight on nose shot. Just saying.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm saying that without gloves on they shouldn't. It's risky for the person throwing the punch, and the reward isn't worth the risk because there are several other blows that are just as good without the risk.
    Meh...

I have fought several fights with broken ribs and Boxer Fractures....

Man up, or quit fighting...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I think even a reasonably good fighter can pepper you with jabs until your face is hamburger with very little risk, and I think most good fighters will use those jabs to set up whatever else they want to do. If you choose not to, that's cool, but don't make the mistake of thinking other good fighters won't.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Meh...

I have fought several fights with broken ribs and Boxer Fractures....

Man up, or quit fighting...

Are these guy's using Marques of Queens-bury rules????

Im with you, if I can stand and return fire it is freaking on. Feet, fists, chair....I have a black belt in draft beer mug.

There is always plan "B"

Mainly use my knife like a roll of nickels to fill my hand. Schrade locker.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I think even a reasonably good fighter can pepper you with jabs until your face is hamburger with very little risk, and I think most good fighters will use those jabs to set up whatever else they want to do. If you choose not to, that's cool, but don't make the mistake of thinking other good fighters won't.

Long left arm and hard to get past it. Right hand waiting if you do. Just saying.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Are these guy's using Marques of Queens-bury rules????
    Marques de what?! :dunno:

I have never fought in a Ring or a Mat. Sorry never heard of those Rules in any of the Brawling I have done... ;)

But, in my defense I always thought the best way to learn to fight was to get into fights with people who were better at it than me...
    Im with you, if I can stand and return fire it is freaking on. Feet, fists, chair....I have a black belt in draft beer mug.
    LOL!

Mainly use my knife like a roll of nickels to fill my hand. Schrade locker.
    Huh...

Funny you mention a Roll of Nickels, that is plan C...

Last edited:

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Queensbury were the old boxing rules.

I have some advice for anyone planning to attempt to defend themselves without punching someone in the face. I hope you don't have to fight someone who knows what they're doing or you take the fight to the ground because you're going to get your ass beaten.

VERY few know how to use their open hands in a way that will do enough damage to a moving target and those few are the ones who train specifically to fight that way and DO actually implement it that way. No theory involved, they've done hundreds of hours of hard sparring or competed full contact with that in mind. Is there a chance you can win a fight using palm strikes? Yes but that chance is MUCH less than winning with closed fists.

There is a reason that fists are used in nearly every single combat sport known to man-kind, because a blunt object traveling at high rate of speed with a significant mass to it will cause trauma internally and externally.

Yes I use my fists. Yes I train and fight San Da/San Shou and Lei Tai. I've used all different forms of gloves and different weights and I've had and seen hand injuries in them all. I've seen a hand so big the entire 14oz boxing glove had to be cut off and I've seen someone fight for 3 fights (3 x 3:00 rounds) with a broken hand.

All BS aside, this open hand stuff and hitting someone in the throat stuff is just BS. It's not proven to work in a dynamic environment. Everyone thinks they're a badass because they can hit a stationary defenseless target but when faced with someone who hits back and doesn't crumple from one blow and that all goes out the window.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Want to win a Fight...

Here are some of the key points...

Surprise. Strike the enemy at a time or place or in a manner where he is unprepared. This is a key to success by giving the assaulting element the advantage.
    Security
    . Never permit the enemy to acquire unexpected advantage.
    Simplicity.
    Speed.
    Severity
    of action. Eliminate the enemy with sudden, explosive force. Combined with speed gives surprise. Prevents enemy reaction. Both physical and mental.

I might even give rep to the person who first can name where that is from...

Top Bottom