• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    While we are on the Subject of Bar Fights...

In my misbegotten youth, I was stationed at the Hood. I was dating a pretty little girl from the UT of Austin. We went on a double date with another Soldier and his Wife to a small hole in the wall bar for drinks and dancing. My Date was the designated driver for this excursion into the heart of Texas, so I commenced to attempt to drink the bar dry. It was getting late, my date and I were playing pool. When a fight started with another Soldier, not our little group. I got grouped into the he is a Soldier too, so let's kick his ass before they can use their super powers against us category. My date saved me the fate of having my head beaten into the ground, by quickly picking up some pool balls and drilling the first person that was intending me harm square in his sternum with it. Turns out a pool ball thrown by a collegiate softball pitcher will take the fight right out of a person...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While we are on the Subject of Bar Fights...

In my misbegotten youth, I was stationed at the Hood. I was dating a pretty little girl from the UT of Austin. We went on a double date with another Soldier and his Wife to a small hole in the wall bar for drinks and dancing. My Date was the designated driver for this excursion into the heart of Texas, so I commenced to attempt to drink the bar dry. It was getting late, my date and I were playing pool. When a fight started with another Soldier, not our little group. I got grouped into the he is a Soldier too, so let's kick his ass before they can use their super powers against us category. My date saved me the fate of having my head beaten into the ground, by quickly picking up some pool balls and drilling the first person that was intending me harm square in his sternum with it. Turns out a pool ball thrown by a collegiate softball pitcher will take the fight right out of a person...

I have seen this first hand. A properly thrown pool ball is an extension of ones super powers.
    Sounds like she was a keeper.......:rockwoot:

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    I realize this is an older post and I have to admit that I didn't read all 23 pages of replies so maybe this will be just repetition...

There are just so many other viable striking options other than punching that I can't figure out why so many people make it their 'go-to' tactic. Punching can be effective but it's an unnatural skill that requires years to master, especially if the user wants to avoid damaging the hand during a potential life-or-death altercation.

When I teach self-defense classes I like to break down the simple bio-mechanics of punches versus other strikes. I always ask participants if they know what muscles are being activated during the execution of a punch. If they don't already know I break it down for them. When we make a fist we immediately activate the forearm flexors. Next in the kinetic chain is the biceps. Following that is the rear delt and the lats. I then point out that these muscles are designed for pulling things toward our center or pulling our center toward some other object. This is the exact opposite of what we are trying to accomplish with a punch. Yes, most punchers have learned to bypass the simple mechanics of agonist / antagonist muscle contraction in order to make their punching effective. However, this takes time to master and it is actually contradictory to natural body mechanics.

With that said, let's look at what happens if we take the same movement patterns that are used in punching and make one simple change. Instead of punching with a closed fist we open the hand and drive with the palm. Now, we activate the forearm flexors, the tricep, the frontal delt, and the pectorals. All muscles that are naturally engaged when we want to push or drive something away from our center. By making this one simple change we can make it more natural, increase speed and power, reduce the chances of injury, and it looks less intimidating to bystanders. Not to mention that it's easier to learn and retain since almost everyone has pushed something at some point in their lives (lawn mower, broken-down car, revolving doors, etc.).

Biomechanics aside, the open hand is just so much more versatile. Not only can it be used for striking but it can be used for clawing, gouging, grabbing, controlling, etc. Then we have other striking options like the edge-of-hand, the forearm, and the elbow...all of which are less likely to be damaged during impact.

So, in closing...if someone chooses to be a boxer or an MMA fighter they will obviously need to learn about and master the art of punching. However, for those interested in learning to protect themselves or their loved ones (and for those that can't invest hours each week training the punches), there are better options available.

Steve

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I quit reading with flexor extensor stuff. I've take karate. I've punched sternums, and faces, and shins (which smarts btw...)

A punch to the throat, or to the sternum, or to the clavicle is a quick and easy finish or start and finish to a fight.

In a street fight, you want quick in and outs that will not leave your guard down. Thus, jabs and punches, also not squaring off and creating an oportunity to sidestep a blow and finish the fight.

I can land two jabs to some hilldonks one haymaker, which if you lookup youtube "fights" you will see what to expect, and while doing so can move into position to choke out or finish the fight.

Damni I miss full contact Saturdays :(

Also, with a knife hand, the force is spread out over a greater surface area; resulting in less transfer of force. Striking with a hammerfist is far better than kinfe hand or open hand, and will result in less broken fingers. The force is spread even moreso for palm strikes, AND you risk sprain injury.

Stick to the basics: punches to the chest head, sweeps to the legs to change opponent center of gravity, maintain a stance that you can stimply take one step back and avoid most force of a blow.

If outnumber, put your back against a wall to avoid being jacked from behind. It may not make sense to some, but you can and often do have an advantage fighting against a wall.

I realize this is an older post and I have to admit that I didn't read all 23 pages of replies so maybe this will be just repetition...

There are just so many other viable striking options other than punching that I can't figure out why so many people make it their 'go-to' tactic. Punching can be effective but it's an unnatural skill that requires years to master, especially if the user wants to avoid damaging the hand during a potential life-or-death altercation.

When I teach self-defense classes I like to break down the simple bio-mechanics of punches versus other strikes. I always ask participants if they know what muscles are being activated during the execution of a punch. If they don't already know I break it down for them. When we make a fist we immediately activate the forearm flexors. Next in the kinetic chain is the biceps. Following that is the rear delt and the lats. I then point out that these muscles are designed for pulling things toward our center or pulling our center toward some other object. This is the exact opposite of what we are trying to accomplish with a punch. Yes, most punchers have learned to bypass the simple mechanics of agonist / antagonist muscle contraction in order to make their punching effective. However, this takes time to master and it is actually contradictory to natural body mechanics.

With that said, let's look at what happens if we take the same movement patterns that are used in punching and make one simple change. Instead of punching with a closed fist we open the hand and drive with the palm. Now, we activate the forearm flexors, the tricep, the frontal delt, and the pectorals. All muscles that are naturally engaged when we want to push or drive something away from our center. By making this one simple change we can make it more natural, increase speed and power, reduce the chances of injury, and it looks less intimidating to bystanders. Not to mention that it's easier to learn and retain since almost everyone has pushed something at some point in their lives (lawn mower, broken-down car, revolving doors, etc.).

Biomechanics aside, the open hand is just so much more versatile. Not only can it be used for striking but it can be used for clawing, gouging, grabbing, controlling, etc. Then we have other striking options like the edge-of-hand, the forearm, and the elbow...all of which are less likely to be damaged during impact.

So, in closing...if someone chooses to be a boxer or an MMA fighter they will obviously need to learn about and master the art of punching. However, for those interested in learning to protect themselves or their loved ones (and for those that can't invest hours each week training the punches), there are better options available.

Steve

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Steve
    Never brawled to much have ya.... :popcorn:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH

Steve

:n00b: :noway:

:welcome: to :ingo: by the way.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Love the face punchers. Just saw a young man who almost lost his hand from infection when he punched the guy in the mouth, cut his knuckle on a tooth and spent 10 days in the hospital. I deal with violent individuals every day. I get punched at several times a week. I've never had to punch a single time to stop the fight.
    But what the hell do I know?
    :twocents:

Bob

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Love the face punchers. Just saw a young man who almost lost his hand from infection when he punched the guy in the mouth, cut his knuckle on a tooth and spent 10 days in the hospital. I deal with violent individuals every day. I get punched at several times a week. I've never had to punch a single time to stop the fight.
    But what the hell do I know?
    :twocents:

Bob
    Tells me that you have an advantage of some kind... ;)

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    In the words of the great philosopher and Heavy Weight Champ. - Mike Tyson

Evwebodies got a pwan till da git hit.

English Translation:
    Everybody has a plan until they get hit.

I forgot that this could be confusing to those of you who honor the King's English.

Last edited:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    A good friend of mine in high school was a VERY good fighter and he did nothing like in the video. He SLAPPED. I saw him knock out opponent after opponent with slaps to the side of the head. It would either knock them out clean or it would daze them enough to finish with a elbow or knee strike strike to the head. He was a nasty fighter.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    This was a perfect example of how not to throw a punch. I haven't seen a punch like that since
    seventh grade. First you set him up with a left jab and if he tucks his chin you right hook to the temple.
    Or kick him in the shins and if he drops his hands uppercut to the nose.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I learned the hard way about punching hard objects in high school, boxers break of the... not sure. Bone between last knuckle of my little finger and wrist. Twice... Doc said he sees it a lot in people with no training, they come around too much and the force is all on the last finger or two of the punching hand...
    It smarted...

I saw a video somewhere demonstrating that the open palm strike with the heel of your hand also keeps the force in line with your entire arm better, less damage potential to wrist and finger bones... Seemed logical, and in line with what szorn said above...

Top Bottom