Discovering and visiting a WW2 bunker in Normandy, France.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Not to thread jack, but here are some pictures of a bunker I visited a few years ago in Okinawa. This was one of the last bunkers to fall. Yep, there was some battle damage too.

The sign speaks for itself.

A wider view. The young man in the picture just happens to be standing and have his hands about where the Japanese soldier that pulled the pin on the grenade would have been. There were some other signs in the room that said that dozens of men died in that room before the American soldiers breached the entrances to the bunker.
    The soldier must have been really desperate. Suicide by grenade is a rough way to go.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I can't believe you actually went in the vegetation-festooned entrance that led to the dark depths. Don't you know that's how all the horror movies start, with somebody poking around a deserted structure, opening a door they shouldn't have, going in a basement they shouldn't have, and discovering long-lost entrance to the Cthullu's lair, with attendant bloody results. You're lucky you're still in one piece.

But since you survived to post the pictures, thanks! They were interesting.

When I was stationed in Germany, right on the border between Germany and The Netherlands, there were lots of leftover pillboxes and dragons' teeth and such scattered around. Not as big as the ones Sylvain found on the Normandy coast, they were more personal sized. Farmers farmed around them. On base we had many wooded areas, and the joggers were told to stick to the marked paths, as the wooded areas had never been cleared of ordnance from WWII (!). There was a lot of fighting in that area just prior to and after the Battle of the Bulge (which was just to the south of us).

I've been thinking about those hooks in the wall; I suspect they may have been attachment points for folding bunks. I notice there are hooks in the ceiling at the right point to have suspended the other side of the bunks if you hung a chain or cable from them.

Also that tunnel: Since it doesn't head in the direction of the other bunkers and it is not tall enough to walk in, I am thinking it was an emergency exit. I have been in slightly more modern German-built bunkers in the basements of barracks and such, and they had similar small tunnels that zig-zagged and extended away form the main area, so that if the building on top collapsed and the main exits were blocked, you had another way out. It was extended enough so that the exit was outside the likely collapse zone, and you had to take hand tools with you (chisels, sledge, etc) because there was no door -- they sealed the end of the tunnel with a few inches of concrete (to prevent entry by enemies, blast, and gas), and you had to use the hand tools to chop your way out.

Thanks again for posting those pics.

To be honest I didn't think I would go that far into the vegetation.I was in my normal street clothes so I didn't want to go too deep into the vegeation.
    When I found the entrance and saw that it was not sealed I HAD to go in.
    And yes it's a bit scary, you have no idea what's on the ground as you walk in.Some rooms had dirt on the floor, some concrete, some a few inches of water.
    I had to walk on one of the steel doors who was on the ground to cross the hallway.
    It moved as I walked on it and made a loud scary sound. :nailbite:

I think you're right about the hooks, I thought it could also have been for bed.

For the tunnel Im still curious where it goes.It's probably not to link bunkers together as you stated since it's not large enough.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think I found the floor plan layout of the bunker.

2v16t5c.jpg

Not 100% sure yet but I think it's matching

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Thank you very much for posting those pictures. That is really incredible to see. The guts necessary to clear a bunker like that and defend a bunker like that makes a lump in my throat. I had relatives who were in the D-day invasion shooting both ways. Some on the beach, some who may have been in bunkers like that.

Dirty Steve

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I went back to one of the bunkers and managed to go around it to look for an entrance.

The bunker is partially burried and covered by some thick vegetation.This was the only visible part.

11j0om1.jpg

I started looking at the wall, moved some plants and finally found it ... it's a really small opening.
    The ground around the bunker is now higher so it's about half the orginal opening for the door.

16h9nbp.jpg

I clear the opening to get closer and have a better look.

a3i8f7.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This one is a R134 type, it's a small bunker used to store ammunition.Just two rooms with two steel doors.

r134plan.jpg

Detail above the door:

2ng63pd.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    First look through the small opening.Actually just taking a picture with the flash to see what's underneath.
    I see some stairs and lots of broken glass everywhere.
    Also maybe you cant tell from that picture but the first step is like 50 inches from ground level.

29puupx.jpg

So I need to climb down, or jump, to get to the stairs.

I take a second picture (still only using the flash) to see what's at the bottom of the stairs ... even more borken glass.Better not miss the jump and fall down the stairs. :stretcher:

oi9bmt.jpg

I finally decide to just slowly climbing down to avoid all that glass.

Here is the opening taken from the inside:

2eqey6c.jpg

The original entrance was sealed with a brick wall and someone later created this small hole in it to get inside the bunker.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The rest of the brick wall at the top of the stairs, it's what I will have to climb to get out.

wih6s.jpg

The corridor with a steel door visible.

6scmk3.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Looks like something exploded at the bottom of the stairs.

mh35mr.jpg

Detail of the steel door.This one is made of two parts not like in the other bunker.

25zmjhv.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Amazing. Thanks for going the extra mile and going back. the marls on the wall make you wonder what really happened! I hope you have had a tetanus shot!

Top Bottom