Dear trainers: The cost of the NRA *Basic* Pistol course is too damn high!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Learning gun handling on the YOU TUBE:

[video=youtube_share;UMk8JRq9M4Y]http://youtu.be/UMk8JRq9M4Y[/video]

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Learning gun handling on the YOU TUBE:

Oh oh oh, I call BS! Did you see how quickly she loads the shotgun shells? My left thumb is screaming out, "No fair! No fair!"

I require private lessons with the she instructor.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    According to some, I think you'd still have to obey the four rules when playing with that.

I am 100% sure that if I pull the barrel out of my semi-auto handgun pointing it at anyone (well anyone who won't assume I'm trying to murder them) is a 100% safe activity. I still don't do it because it's about developing habits.

That said, I did some simulated shooting a few weeks ago with airsoft and I've got to tell you it was actually strange pointing a gun at a person, which is something to think about.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    And here I just thought you called me a training snob because I asked you to back up your words?
    Still waiting for that...
    :popcorn:
    Show me you're not just full of BS hot air?

Agree with him or not, at least CB45 has a score sheet or two to prove he can be safe with a gun for a day...
    ...not to mention a bit of video:
    [video=youtube_share;iixox2NhD9c]http://youtu.be/iixox2NhD9c[/video]
    You'll be waiting for quite a while. I'm not here to impress the masters of INGO. I'm not here to make money. Nor do I feel the need to stroke INGOers (or my own) ego by entering in a contest better suited for the mens room. Talk about type A

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    *SIGH*

We charge $150, and provide (AT NO EXTRA CHARGE) all of the FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, SAFETY SUPPLIES, TARGETS, TARGET STANDS & STICKS, LASER PISTOLS, INSURANCE, TRAILER, CLASSROOM, PROJECTOR, COMPUTER, PRINTER, PAPER, MONITOR, WATER COOLER, CHAIRS, TABLES, PENS, SNAP CAPS OF ALL CALIBERS, BLUE GUNS, COFFEE MAKER & SUPPLIES, $13 per person book packs, (mandatory) etc.

All of the kit guns have to be cleaned and maintained: Glock, Springfield, Bersa, Taurus, S&W x 2, Walther, Sig, & GSG.

Part of the instructor course is an exercise where the students have to figure out what it costs to run a course. Nobody comes up with less than $125 and if the do they have grossly overlooked something.

I have $4000+ in all of my instructor ratings, and pay my instructors well.

My bill for BOOK PACKS ALONE last year was $13,000!

I appreciate your frustration. Now you have a taste of mine and a little balance. Perhaps you could change your title to I CAN'T AFFORD TRAINING rather than TRAINING COST IS TOO %&#$ HIGH. Big difference. In mocking the curriculum you make your point moot. If all we cover is "an 8-hour this is the end the ouchy things we call bullets come from" *BASIC* pistol class" why do you care what we charge? You are clearly an expert and can learn nothing from such a waste of time.

this. i will admit i was a bit shocked at the price when i was told, but after learning about all of the expenditures involved i did not think it was in any way over-priced.

anyone who is an enthusiast will end up being "bored" at certain points, im sure. however that does not mean it is unnecessary or "common sense" information.

when my lady and i have the money to, we will be taking numerous courses from IGS, and i will happily pay them every single time.

also - find me a teacher who thinks they are over-paid, while the public thinks they are under-paid. then tell me where this magical wonderland is, so i can move there.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You'll be waiting for quite a while. I'm not here to impress the masters of INGO. I'm not here to make money. Nor do I feel the need to stroke INGOers (or my own) ego by entering in a contest better suited for the mens room. Talk about type A

Oh boy kid is going to get a comment. Regarding that video, that is some great shooting. Pretty sure that takes a little more practice then what is offered at a basic pistol class.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Oh boy kid is going to get a comment. Regarding that video, that is some great shooting. Pretty sure that takes a little more practice then what is offered at a basic pistol class.
    Agreed. Is that a modified 1911 I'm assuming (by the name "45")?

I always get comments because I don't fall in line with the beat of drum.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

You would have to ask the owner. But it is an open gun which is similar to a 1911 (2011) as far as the trigger and safety. Many of these are 38 super or 40S&W so they can make major power factor. Traditional 1911s compete in the single stack division which requires more reloading. I am sure others can fill in the info better. I shoot USPSA locally but I do it for fun and practice and do not take it seriously. I do enjoy watching the real competitors shoot though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And here I just thought you called me a training snob because I asked you to back up your words?
    Still waiting for that...
    Show me you're not just full of BS hot air?
    You'll be waiting for quite a while. I'm not here to impress the masters of INGO...

That's the way you have always been. A WHOLE LOT of talk without any backing it up. You speak as an authority as if that in itself will make your words matter.

I'm not worried about it. I know what you are and now others do too.
    Until next time... :popcorn:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

I've met CB45 and shot with him (once). If you're alluding to the idea that his shooting prowess is due to the modified gun and not his skill level, you are completely wrong. He puts in significant time and is a very skilled shooter. Its the shooter, not the gun. If that isnt what you're saying, then nevermind. :-)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've met CB45 and shot with him (once). If you're alluding to the idea that his shooting prowess is due to the modified gun and not his skill level, you are completely wrong. He puts in significant time and is a very skilled shooter. Its the shooter, not the gun. If that isnt what you're saying, then nevermind. :-)
    Poppycock. It's all the gun. Especially those red dot thingies.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    That's the way you have always been. A WHOLE LOT of talk without any backing it up. You speak as an authority as if that in itself will make your words matter.

I'm not worried about it. I know what you are and now others do too.
    Until next time... :popcorn:

No, you know your assumptions. You don't actually know the first thing about me, but there are several here who do. I do not expect, nor want them to speak up to vouch for me, because no matter what gets posted here you will have a problem with it because you've always had a problem with me. Love me or hate me, I'll continue to voice the expectations people have of professionals no matter how much you choose to :bowdown: them.

I don't speak as any sort of "authority." I speak on what I know and am familiar with and when I do not, I keep my mouth shut to learn. Just upstream VERT made me aware of a difference in reporting between DOJ and FBI that I wasn't aware of previously. That's why I'm here. Professionalism, standards, training development, ethics, leadership, data analysis, organizational efficiency, public relations, application of psychology/sociology, marketing research, technical communications/writing, etc. are all realms of professional industry in which my career is heavily involved in. You can choose to ignore my ideas or suggestions under the assumption that "I'm an arrogant, internet tough guy, know it all, speak on everything with authority, blah, blah, blah" all you want. I really don't care because in the end, you're an average joe just like I am. If you and other "professionals" or "experts" simply choose to ignore the advice I offer from my professional experience in how big business works, then that's your/their choice. You get out what you put in.

I simply stated I have no interest in getting in some childish pissing match here some random guy who will ignore or blow off anything I have to say anyhow. Instead, you insist on flexing your own ego like some sort of territorial animal. I don't have time such games. You want butt heads to stroke your ego, then find some people at your beloved matches to compare the "holy grail" (score cards) with. Don't like it? I don't really care. Who are you whom I must "prove myself to?" Another internet personality.

FWIW, I have been looking for my review sheets to satisfy your petulant needs and post pictures. They seem to have been misplaced in the move to the new house, so I'll keep digging. If you really cared to find out "what I'm about" rather than just looking for something else to "attack" me on, my efforts really aren't that hard to find. I'll post some pics to satisfy you (even though it won't change anything) as soon as I can locate my recent research/review sheets.

EDIT: There's a lot of typos here and I'm too lazy/tired to go through to find them all. Typing too fast with some sticky keys is getting annoying. Sorry grammar Nazis. You'll have to live through this one. ;)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

I wasn't alluding to that at all. I was honestly inquiring. It's hard to tell in the video, however he seemed to go through far more shots than an ordinary 1911 capacity.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

My point was that, although I disagree with CB45's premise, his credibility is established in that he has plenty of safe gun handling range time logged.

All we have from the kid is claims of this and that with no substantiation what-so-ever. We have no idea if he could go 5 seconds without pointing his gun at us, much less teach anyone anything correctly. He also always gets angry and insolent when questioned about such things which just makes one further wonder? :dunno:

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My point was that, although I disagree with CB45's premise, his credibility is established in that he has plenty of safe gun handling range time logged.

All we have from the kid is claims of this and that with no substantiation what-so-ever. We have no idea if he could go 5 seconds without pointing his gun at us, much less teach anyone anything correctly. He also always gets angry and insolent when questioned about such things which just makes one further wonder? :dunno:
    Now you can tell I'm "angry" through reading text. I know a lot of salesman and gamblers who would pay for your skills.

My point is I have no reason to NEED to justify that to you. You obviously know everything you need to. Hence, I have nothing to offer you. I don't teach for income therefore I don't need to entice you to anything I have to offer either. Those who have sought training but without the expense have sought me out and I haven't had a single complaint/issue. When they are specifically seeking the certificate, I often send them to guys such as VERT unless I have several of them. I'm not as old as some of you here but I've been shooting for nearly 30 years without a single mishap. I haven't shot any form of real competition in about 10 years and never have shot pistol comps. Of course, by your measure only those who shoot competitions with score cards have any credibility. :rolleyes: I've made no claims to the contrary about anything because I have no reason to. I have been violently attacked more than once in my life by random thugs growing up, experienced real body alarm responses, etc. I've also worked with and interviewed a number of such victims, and some criminals as well. So, I do have some input in that regard (violent crime).

My point is, that no matter what I put here you will question it. You always have, and since I don't make money from my effort intentionally, exactly what motivation do I have to present anything? Why should I put anything further up for you to attack in your quest for internet dominance? It does not seem as anything will end if I did.

Therefore, I have nothing to prove to you because nothing I put up will change your perception.

Top Bottom