Dear trainers: The cost of the NRA *Basic* Pistol course is too damn high!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have seen bad gun handling by instructors using blue guns in front of classes. Using them as pointers. Tapping the muzzle against the palm of their hand. Twirling them on their finger.
    Thank you. That was what I was looking for the first time.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    not to totally derail this thread but I just got my weekly email from Midwest Gun, they offer NRA Basic for $60.
    If this has already been mentioned please forgive me.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    not to totally derail this thread but I just got my weekly email from Midwest Gun, they offer NRA Basic for $60.
    If this has already been mentioned please forgive me.

But, but… That's too far away from me, and the cost of gas is too damn high!

h3FB5350E

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Funny Bill, you are getting it back on track. We have been doing the derailing.:)

You are right. We have done our best to run this thing off the tracks and Bill goes and ruins that.

That's what I do, ruin people's fun.

And Midwest is too far for me to drive too. If I was going to do that, I'd just drive to Cedartop's house and harass him.:):

larcklorn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ok - so I saw (after reading the 33 pages of ranting) that we have some decent classes in the South East Indiana, what about Indianapolis and surrounding. I would like to put my wife through a course and do it with her and then possibly do Concealed Carry as well. What options would you recommend. As with most people on this thread I agree that 150 is not reasonable for a basic class, but do understand that it is someones time so I am willing to pay 75-100 for a well taught course.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Ok - so I saw (after reading the 33 pages of ranting) that we have some decent classes in the South East Indiana, what about Indianapolis and surrounding. I would like to put my wife through a course and do it with her and then possibly do Concealed Carry as well. What options would you recommend. As with most people on this thread I agree that 150 is not reasonable for a basic class, but do understand that it is someones time so I am willing to pay 75-100 for a well taught course.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ay-private-instruction-march-8-2014-mcfg.html

Start here
    Coach will get you started on the right path and you can't get any closer to Indy.

ACT has a schedule on here somewhere. I dont know if they have anything coming up in Indianapolis.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

There are several options. Have you searched in the T&T forum? This comes up with some regularity.

BTW, why does your wife need a training class, but you don't feel you need one?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I've been busy the past week, so I didn't keep up with the thread and sure as hell didn't expect to have to read through 17 pages (at 20 posts per page) to get caught up! :n00b: :faint:

So is the course fee too damn high?

Yes. I think that $100+ for the NRA Basic Pistol class is still somewhat...

45425732.jpg

:): :laugh: :):

...but thanks to the many EXCELLENT comments in the thread from Indy Gun Safety and other trainers, I now have a MUCH better understanding of why that seems to be the going rate.

So that's really your contribution to the OP's concerns, to mock him?

No worries, CB45...I didn't feel mocked, and I hope Shay is still doing his thing when if/when I move back across the to Indy...judging by his videos and feedback, it looks like he offers great value for the money!

At least others have detailed their costs to help explain it to the OP. I don't think anyone said training should be free. Rather the OP has brought up a concern about the high costs that some institutions set on the NRA Basic course.

This. I have no problem with trainers being paid if they go well above and beyond the norm to provide the students great value/more :cowbell: for their money. I would be willing to pay an extra $50 to be able to fire many different types of pistols. I think this would be especially helpful for a new shooter that has not yet decided on what gun they like/want.

A lot of people seeking that training may not even make that much.

Demographically speaking, those who are more likely to need a gun for defense, are also of lower income households typically. Oddly enough, I would suggest this is also the demographic which would need this training the most.

:+1: :cheers: My fellow Devil Dog saved me a lot of typing by making my major points for me! I just think a lower price would help in getting more new gun buyers to sign up for the class, ultimately resulting in a safer, better educated shooting community.

I did not take what you said as a personal "attack" per se. Your "an 8-hour this is the end the ouchy things we call bullets come from" *BASIC* pistol class" comment was rather inflammatory though, lol!

I just read a quote yesterday that is spot-on in regards to communication: "The message sent, in never the message received." My comment wasn't meant to be inflammatory, insult or ruffle feathers, IGS...just my typical witty and charming sarcastic self! :wwub: I usually have a serious problem with being seriously not super serious...seriously! :laugh:

I did however think that the average INGO member 'prolly has no clue as to what is involved in teaching these courses. One thing to keep in mind is value. What are you getting for your money? Even though we all have to use the same base curriculum, we are allowed to add our experience and expertise. Types of visual aids, hands on time, firearms available, comfort of surroundings... these all make some courses more valuable than others. They also tend to cost more to put on.

...And that is perfectly reasonable to me. If the instructor is doing a first-class job in providing a value-added product, that could certainly justify a higher cost, I just think a lower price for the entry-level class would encourage more people to take it and be better and safer gun owners.

A most informative thread, methinks! Thanks for everyone's input!

:ingo: :ingo: :ingo:

larcklorn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There are several options. Have you searched in the T&T forum? This comes up with some regularity.

BTW, why does your wife need a training class, but you don't feel you need one?

My wife has never shot before except with my dad and I doing some small instructions. I on the other hand have my youth NRA training and some training during college, but I would still like to do it with her not only as a refresher, but as a partner with her in the class. I fully expect to learn something new when I go through it.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ay-private-instruction-march-8-2014-mcfg.html

Start here
    Coach will get you started on the right path and you can't get any closer to Indy.

ACT has a schedule on here somewhere. I dont know if they have anything coming up in Indianapolis.

My wife has never shot before except with my dad and I doing some small instructions. I on the other hand have my youth NRA training and some training during college, but I would still like to do it with her not only as a refresher, but as a partner with her in the class. I fully expect to learn something new when I go through it.

I second the recommendation of taking Coach's instruction. After more than a decade of shooting handguns, I took a pretty basic class taught by him and I learned a whole bunch (I also do not think any of it would have been over a total novice shooter's head).

He's a good teacher and a hell of a shooter.

Top Bottom