Dear trainers: The cost of the NRA *Basic* Pistol course is too damn high!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Is " the cost is too damn high" the same as "not worth the price"? I have not taken NRA basic pistol. I don't know if it's worth $100.

The only formal training I have taken have been a few appleseeds, an intro to pistol 101 taught by Coach and a trauma class taught by RedneckMedic. Those classes all were a great value, but what's covered in NRA basic pistol?

Could it be that it is a poorly designed curriculum considering the topics/skills covered and the time/materials/facilities/labor/certs/insurance needed to teach it?
    It's well designed for what it was intended to do.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ok. It's very simple then. Post a link to where the public can register for your classes.

I started a thread years ago (which has recently been bumped) generically asking what training should cost. There are several votes for "free".

Anyway, that's beside the point. My question is in response to kidd not answering how we can all sign up for the free training he's offering.
    I don't routinely schedule classes, however they are posted on INGO. I schedule/offer them based on demand. When people seek it out. Since my interest isn't in making money from it, I don't need to schedule them months ahead and HOPE they get filled. Whoever wishes to come, can. They don't need to "sign up."

However, you wouldn't learn anything regardless. I target specific demographics of people with my classes. Namely, people with gun fears (phobias) or who are anti-gun in the interest of my psychology research into those mindsets. Some existing gun owners do tend to come anyhow though, as well as a number of brand new, or soon to be gun owners. I don't specifically offer classes for them unless requested. At which point I do so either in a formal class or simply some one on one time. In other words, I tailor to their specific needs. If they specifically seek the NRA certificate I typically send them to guys such as VERT or otherwise give them information to a list of people who seem to best fit what they're looking for exactly. Whatever information I give them is fair, honest, and attempting to spark their interest in further training then my own and prepare them for that.

Everyone has a target market, whether they realize it or not. Often times it's simply by design of their training. In my usual organized classes for the market I'm addressing a typical gun owner would be rather bored. That's not to say they couldn't learn something, because they tend to. It's just not specifically about guns or gun handling usually. When someone is looking for that, then I address their needs individually as needed.

An ILEA instructor and local detective wrote in review:
    It was a good class that [kidd] put on. Even though I'm fairly experienced with firearms, I even learned something with the comparisons of calibers and their percentages of fatal and incapacitating hits.

Last year my efforts included:
    -7 formal classes (no less then 5 attendees, most had 10 or more)
    -doing one on one with dozens of first time shooters
    -hundreds of other students if you wish to count boy scout troops (I'm not affiliated with the group, they simply sought me out through word of mouth to help with their badge training)
    -changed countless people's minds regarding firearms and ownership when given enough time to communicate with them (this is specifically what I target, and am good at)
    -worked with a couple of gun phobics

Of course the one on one's, the formal classes, and phobics are the only ones where I get usable research and tracking data to use to measure my efforts and further contribute to my research. My personal training plans got screwed up between ammo availability, prices, and the purchase of/move to a new home. I plan to pick up on that this year however. When I can finally dig up my records, I'll be sure to post some for all the INGO police experts here.

Actually, I worked with one specific case of a person for the first 6 months of the year (at least 2 of those months was every weekend) who had a sincere, deeply rooted phobia of firearms. Happy to report that after 6 months, she now owns several guns and carries daily. Part of my career is understanding (therefore researching) psychology, which also tends to be applicable elsewhere (obviously).

I haven't made a dime from any of it. Some locations charge a SMALL fee to cover their business needs, but that's not my charge and I don't see a dime of it. Of course, I'm not an "expert" because I don't expect to be paid for it, so I have nothing to offer you.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Gun classes should be free, just like rape prevention classes. In the immortal words of Master Ken, around 1:35: "When I see other schools charging for rape prevention courses, to me that sends the wrong message. That's like saying poor people deserve to be raped. I disagree. We feel if there is one thing in like that should be free, it's a simulated rape scenario."

[video=youtube;nsxNC0vcKZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsxNC0vcKZE[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I enjoy training, to further my craft. This costs money.

But another way to look at it is..... how much is the cost of a lawyer for not knowing the law? Or the cost of a hospital visit for having a ND?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not certain, but I believe this class was taught by the1kidd03. I seem to recall a news article about him teaching a class (maybe this class?) as well, but I can't remember what paper. I thought the article was posted here somewhere.

Edit:
    This is the article: Avon resident helps others learn about guns » Local News » Hendricks County Flyer, Avon, IN

g000258000000000000a5086af7c9e393617bfbb62cd540cdfb0599c517.jpg
    g0002580000000000003b0a55cd9d9bb3ad89bd1576d6a4e02b3052df2e.jpg

Awful tight lipped about this. :dunno:
    Seems odd for all that talk about promotion/market/etc, no announcement was listed by the kidd in the Tactics and Training section of INGO? It's not like he doesn't know where it's at...

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Maybe INGO is not his market. I post classes on INGO but a relatively small percentage of people I work with are on this forum. Some don't know we are here, some lurk, and there might even be a few don't want to participate in forums such as this.

Edit: I do think I remember it being mentioned somewhere that Kidd was a NRA certified instructor. Wouldnt surprise me since you can't kick over a rock without turning one of us up anymore. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    I would compare training to cleaning. If you really care about your firearms you should actually enjoy spending the time and money necessary to keep them nice. Same goes for training. If you spend $500+ on your handgun, then $200 more on your crimson trace, $100.00 on night sights, plus range time and everything else that goes into owning a firearm, you can surely spend a little cash on the most important piece of the puzzle. Like owning a car, then complaining about paying too much for your registration. Its part of the cost of ownership. Look around for the best priced class, go, and enjoy the security you feel afterwards, and the confidence you have that you can defend yourself and your loved ones without a doubt. That's worth a lot more than $175 to me!

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    I see education as an investment. It's the less-tangible part of the package. The price has an valuing effect on me. It it were too cheap, I might consider it "disposable." But at the price of tuition, rounds and gas... Well... I'm gonna place my training in higher esteem.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    All kidding (and purple text) aside, instructors should be purposeful with their blue gun handling. Setting a proper example for students is paramount.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    All kidding (and purple text) aside, instructors should be purposeful with their blue gun handling. Setting a proper example for students is paramount.

What do you mean by purposeful?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    On purpose. Thoughtful.
    I am well aware of what the word means. What I was hoping you could do is provide and an example of two of something that was purposeful use of the blue gun or something that was not. Instead of talking in riddle or vaguely perhaps if you had some things valuable to contribute you could just spit it out, but that is not your style.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I am well aware of what the word means. What I was hoping you could do is provide and an example of two of something that was purposeful use of the blue gun or something that was not. Instead of talking in riddle or vaguely perhaps if you had some things valuable to contribute you could just spit it out, but that is not your style.

I have seen bad gun handling by instructors using blue guns in front of classes. Using them as pointers. Tapping the muzzle against the palm of their hand. Twirling them on their finger.

Top Bottom