Dear trainers: The cost of the NRA *Basic* Pistol course is too damn high!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    While we are talking semantics, what is the difference between training and practice?

In my vernacular, "training" involves instruction. Shooting without instruction/oversight/review is "practice." :dunno:

well, if we are going to tear into what words mean, may as well go to the source. From m-w.com, "training" is
    : a process by which someone is taught the skills that are needed for an art, profession, or job
    : the process by which an athlete prepares for competition by exercising, practicing, etc.

So if you are using training to mean the classroom "I'm getting training" definition (the first), then practice is something else.
    If you are using training to mean the preparation "I'm training for a marathon" definition (the second), then practice is training.

I didn't mean to imply the first was wrong (how you prefer to use it), I was trying to help clarify what I thought CB45 was saying... which was based on the second definition.

CB45 and I are interchanging training and practice based on the second definition.

"Training" with an instructor is not much benefit if one doesn't follow it up by "training" through practice. :)
    "Training" in the classroom is where knowledge is transfered and possibly errors identified; "training" in practice is where the real learning happens.

-rvb

ps. oh crap. the second definition refered to athlete. time to cross post to the athlete vs caveman thread? ;) maybe that scews perception of "training."

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Athletes in training are not supposed to be eating Brownies. My class will be Cavemanish in topic.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Training (with or without brownies) is still too expensive.

Still waiting for a link to that free training website.....

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Training (with or without brownies) is still too expensive.

Still waiting for a link to that free training website.....

So that's really your contribution to the OP's concerns, to mock him?

At least others have detailed their costs to help explain it to the OP. I don't think anyone said training should be free. Rather the OP has brought up a concern about the high costs that some institutions set on the NRA Basic course.

Well at least you and others are getting the post count higher on this thread... 30 pages, maybe a new sub forum record???

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    At least others have detailed their costs to help explain it to the OP. I don't think anyone said training should be free. Rather the OP has brought up a concern about the high costs that some institutions set on the NRA Basic course.

Why shouldn't it be free?

If someone who doesn't provide training is going to set prices for the people who do, why not just go with free? Maybe I just lost my job, maybe my kid needs braces, maybe I spent all my money on candy. Are you saying I don't deserve to get self defense training?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Is " the cost is too damn high" the same as "not worth the price"? I have not taken NRA basic pistol. I don't know if it's worth $100.

The only formal training I have taken have been a few appleseeds, an intro to pistol 101 taught by Coach and a trauma class taught by RedneckMedic. Those classes all were a great value, but what's covered in NRA basic pistol?

Could it be that it is a poorly designed curriculum considering the topics/skills covered and the time/materials/facilities/labor/certs/insurance needed to teach it?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There are alternatives to the NRA Basic course. Seek out the alternatives and spend your money where you want.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis

If someone who doesn't provide training is going to set prices for the people who do, why not just go with free? Maybe I just lost my job, maybe my kid needs braces, maybe I spent all my money on candy. Are you saying I don't deserve to get self defense training?

Well now someone has said it... I'll let others explain why its worth $145

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

772240221_1115131.gif

Please explain why you think you're entitled to the time and effort of another person for free.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington

Well at least you and others are getting the post count higher on this thread... 30 pages, maybe a new sub forum record???

CB45, I'm pretty sure Shay's comment was directed at someone other than the OP.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

I started a thread years ago (which has recently been bumped) generically asking what training should cost. There are several votes for "free".

Anyway, that's beside the point. My question is in response to kidd not answering how we can all sign up for the free training he's offering.

Top Bottom