Dear trainers: The cost of the NRA *Basic* Pistol course is too damn high!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Reading a course description makes me think that the NRA basic pistol class is most suited for the complete newbie--this is a gun, and this is how to keep yourself and others safe. I may be mistaken and am open to being corrected.

I would presume that people taking the class are planning on carrying, so why not design the curriculum around that? I would have no problem paying $150 for information and training to develop my mindset, reduce my liability, etc.

Sort of. Basic Pistol is square one. I have learned not to assume people know as much as they think they do. Overall I think it is a well designed curriculum. Basic Pistol has sort of become the defacto concealed carry requirement in some states.

The NRA offers Basics of Personal Protection In and Out of the Home as well as defensive pistol. These courses are a bit slow paced compared to others but the information is more similar to other schools then what some would like to admit. This of course depends on the instructors. Admittedly there are different opinions on what constitutes a better technique but the basis of the courses are not as bad as some will lead you to believe. This is a topic for another thread. Oh wait we had that aurgument already. :rolleyes:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Apparently its worth two days of training at Tactical Response, and a stay in the team room. Now, its possible esrice got some side benefits that he didn't mention in the AAR. I can't say.

Included was also a ride in Yeager's truck to Mexican dinner. Oh and a tour of SOE Gear. And a picture with Rebecca.

Of course I don't have to mention all the love and adoration from INGOers everywhere.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In my experience, this is correct. NRA Basic Pistol is a gun safety, terminology, and basics of marksmanship class. There are plenty of classes out here for people interested in carrying, too. But that is not NRA Basic Pistol.

Pretty much somes up the course.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not so sure about that .5

BUREAU of JUSTICE STATISTICS, US DOJ

In 2011 there were approximately 5.8 million violent crimes in the U.S. That works out to 22.5 violent crimes per 1,000 people. To put it another way, that is 1 violent crime for every 44 persons in the U.S. in a single year.

What does a violent crime consist of for their report? Murder, Rape, Robbery, and Assault.

Odd that they report such a higher number than the FBI. That is where I figured the roughly .5% from their ~1.2 million reported violent crimes

You are both right actually. Cedartop is quoting information given by Tom Givens which is 100% correct. Kidd is quoting the FBI website. (yes I am a geek) The FBI only reports the most serious offense if multiple offenses occur. So if I shoot Cedartop and Kidd and one of them dies and the other lives the FBI reports 1 murder. Of course it actually a murder and assault, but who is counting?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    This is a tough sell to a lot of "too cool for school" folks. The "ah grew up wit' guns" crowd are also part of the type A personalities we have to convince that training would even beneficial to those that "already know."

I haven't noticed this. Can you point to some of that going on? Which ones are the training snobs?

Growing up with guns is an easy way of basically saying, "raised around guns by elders who've had years of experience handling them from which they taught me." I understand the point he was trying to convey, however he's ineffectively stereotyping here because all it takes to learn the basics, as presented in my last post and yours, is a more experienced person willing to teach a less experienced person. Not ALL persons who "grew up around guns" are ignorant hillbillies who disregard safety. However, that is how they're portrayed often on this site with remarks such as this as though we're placing those who expect to be paid for sharing that knowledge on some sort of pedestal. I believe the "gun snob" category comes from this often prevalent attitude here.

Personally, I've got nothing against training or trainers. I wished I had the availability of it when I was growing up that there is now, or at least knew how to find it. I merely don't agree with premium prices for basic knowledge which CAN be found almost anywhere for free.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    You are both right actually. Cedartop is quoting information given by Tom Givens which is 100% correct. Kidd is quoting the FBI website. (yes I am a geek) The FBI only reports the most serious offense if multiple offenses occur. So if I shoot Cedartop and Kidd and one of them dies and the other lives the FBI reports 1 murder. Of course it actually a murder and assault, but who is counting?

I understand why you would want to shoot Kidd:):, but me?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Awesome, thanks! I wasn't aware of that difference.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Unfortunately (or fortunately), the "shutter bugs" aren't at risk of losing their "shutters" because people buy them without knowing anything and pose risk of harm to others with them. Hence, why basic training is so important for everyone to have....but.....apparently, only if you can afford it.

You always have reasons why OTHER people should do things.

Start your low cost school already. Give training away. You have all the answers, so get busy!!!!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I understand why you would want to shoot Kidd:):, but me?

Would not get too worried if I were you. I am just an NRA instructor so I would probably miss.

But yes it is late and I have to go to work tomorrow. I didn't make enough last week teaching gun classes to be able to call in sick.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I checked the NRA website and I could not find any classes below $100 with most ranging $120-150. I'm sure there is an exception where there is a good hearted instructor who is only charging ...

Not all trainers use, nor are they required to use the NRA website.

thats correct, trainers don't have to use the website. Sometimes it's who you know. Get involved with a gun club, ask around at your church, etc, you might find cheaper alternatives. It's quite possible there are NRA instructors out there who don't charge a dime, pay for the material/ammo/pizza out of their own pocket, but only as a favor to friends, family, and others they know well. Others might do it for members of their gun club, etc for just the cost of the material. There are LOTS of instructors out there.

-rvb

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    thats correct, trainers don't have to use the website. Sometimes it's who you know. Get involved with a gun club, ask around at your church, etc, you might find cheaper alternatives. It's quite possible there are NRA instructors out there who don't charge a dime, pay for the material/ammo/pizza out of their own pocket, but only as a favor to friends, family, and others they know well. Others might do it for members of their gun club, etc. There are LOTS of instructors out there.

-rvb
    Agreed. :yesway:

I've done that, and taught the same NRA curriculum minus their handouts/certificate too.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    This thread is now the seventh longest in the Tactics and Training forum as determined by number of replies. Three of the longest seven are about the cost of training.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Not ALL persons who "grew up around guns" are ignorant hillbillies who disregard safety. However, that is how they're portrayed often on this site with remarks such as this as though we're placing those who expect to be paid for sharing that knowledge on some sort of pedestal. I believe the "gun snob" category comes from this often prevalent attitude here...

And here I just thought you called me a training snob because I asked you to back up your words?
    Still waiting for that...
    :popcorn:
    Show me you're not just full of BS hot air?

Agree with him or not, at least CB45 has a score sheet or two to prove he can be safe with a gun for a day...
    ...not to mention a bit of video:
    [video=youtube_share;iixox2NhD9c]http://youtu.be/iixox2NhD9c[/video]

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    45115006.jpg

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    $100 - $35 = $65 x 4 = $260 divide by 8 hours plus setup and such. I get there a couple hours early and stay well past the class ending. So $260 / 12 = $21.67 an hour. This does not include income tax, advertising, certification or training, yada yada yada.

Guys I make more then $21 at my job. Of course I don't charge $100 for an NRA course either. But I do mot think those that do are out of line.

I want to rep you, but the site won't let me. I completely agree with you. The cost is reasonable.

NHT -- you sound like a good teacher. Keep up the good work. I am guessing from your handle you like loudspeakers?

Also, kudos to Shibumi for doing the low-cost, nearly free SAR class. :patriot:

Can anyone share the NRA Basic Pistol syllabus? I'm now curious as to what's covered, since the instructor training seems non-trivial.

As for Youtube videos, you may be able to get the information IF you know what to look for. There are many drawbacks. 1. Whether YOU are learning things right is another story. Nobody is there to give you feedback. 2. Some people with videos on the web don't know what they're talking about. You'd have no way of knowing unless you already know. 3. Unless the video is designed to be a coherent course that is comprehensive for its intended purpose, you may not know what you're missing. 4. In the advanced classes I've taken, some of the drills weren't just you and the target. Some required multiple instructor participation just to do the drill for one person.

Top Bottom