Dear trainers: The cost of the NRA *Basic* Pistol course is too damn high!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have an idea. If you don't like the price of the class, don't register for the class. Problem solved. :-)
    When someone's lack in education of firearms presents a danger of them risking the safety of those around them, it's more than an individual problem. It's a community problem, because it will get used against us all in the political spectrum. So, sure he won't take that training. However, there are many others who won't either but really probably need it.

Of course, it's easier to say "your priorities aren't right."

The basic level of firearms knowledge classes, are what I have issue with in cost. When you advance beyond that, the price stays the same, or goes up I don't care much. I'll pay what I can to attend what I want and you won't here another peep out of me from it. It's a different story on the basic level however. Far too significant of social issues to ignore

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    :dunno: It's much easier to whine that you could do it cheaper, then not back up your words...
    Just like it's much easier to blame the mindset of the consumer (which you rely on in business) than it is to admit to, identify, analyze, and address what you could do better to obtain more business from them.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    When someone's lack in education of firearms presents a danger of them risking the safety of those around them, it's more than an individual problem. It's a community problem, because it will get used against us all in the political spectrum. So, sure he won't take that training. However, there are many others who won't either but really probably need it.

If someone is motivated to take training and genuinely cannot afford it, they are motivated enough to find free safety information (and I wonder how they afforded the gun in the first place). They are motivated enough to find all the free information on the internet. They are motivated to post up here in the T&T forum and ask someone to take them to the range for free. If someone came in here and said they were in dire need of basic firearm instruction, but had zero dollars to pay for it, there would be three pages of offers to take them to the range the same day. Lets not pretend like there are no affordable resources for understanding the safe operation of a firearm.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    So what is a soul worth these days? I have been considering liquidating some assets.

Apparently its worth two days of training at Tactical Response, and a stay in the team room. Now, its possible esrice got some side benefits that he didn't mention in the AAR. I can't say.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Not all trainers use, nor are they required to use the NRA website. It's an available option to them to help them reach a wider audience. VERT is an example of an exception where he's already stated he charges less. IDK if he uses their site or not however. I have nothing against someone trying to make money. I just disagree that the most basic level of gun education is the field to do that because it entails such a high risk/potential reward for our community as a whole. I've got nothing against those that do, that's their choice. I just don't do the same myself.

I've take new shooters to the range almost regularly. That's not what I would call a class, although I give them no different level of instruction or help as I would anyone else. I am around and intentionally put myself around those who are new to firearms or not exactly gun friendly all the time. I do this for specific reasons, but it also has given me countless opportunities to take newbies to the range to get a different perspective on guns. I've met very few people whose mind I cannot change for the better on guns and gun rights, IF given enough time to communicate with them. That is essentially, why I do what I do.

I have a career that I enjoy and am good at. Much of what I bring up here is derived from that experience/education. That is where I make my income and I have no interest in making it from gun training.

I am glad that you take time to introduce new shooters to firearms and that you are so devoted to this. However, I don't see that lowering the cost of a basic pistol class will get more people enrolled in more training or even get more people into firearms. Do you think training should be required by the State when people get a gun? I think the only thing that will happen there is that you will get mostly people who have to be there and not WANT to be there. I believe that is the root of the "problem" and unless someone is motivated and perceive training as a good thing, will they come. Like some have pointed out, there are "cheaper" training options for those who don't want to pay as much, (PD's offering "free" classes aren't really "free" of course) but you do have to go looking for those.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), the "shutter bugs" aren't at risk of losing their "shutters" because people buy them without knowing anything and pose risk of harm to others with them. Hence, why basic training is so important for everyone to have....but.....apparently, only if you can afford it.

I was really just being a wise-butt when posting that, but what I typed above is what I still think holds true.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

The basic level of firearms knowledge classes, are what I have issue with in cost. When you advance beyond that, the price stays the same, or goes up I don't care much. I'll pay what I can to attend what I want and you won't here another peep out of me from it. It's a different story on the basic level however. Far too significant of social issues to ignore

I actually agree with you in principal. The problem is people won't take the class even if it were free. Plus I am not sure it would make a difference. People take a class to drive a car and still crash into things. Plus there are some people who are not ....... Well ....... Uhmmmm ......... Well they are freaking stupid!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

Aaah... Like health care.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If someone is motivated to take training and genuinely cannot afford it, they are motivated enough to find free safety information (and I wonder how they afforded the gun in the first place). They are motivated enough to find all the free information on the internet. They are motivated to post up here in the T&T forum and ask someone to take them to the range for free. If someone came in here and said they were in dire need of basic firearm instruction, but had zero dollars to pay for it, there would be three pages of offers to take them to the range the same day. Lets not pretend like there are no affordable resources for understanding the safe operation of a firearm.
    I never suggested there wasn't. However, you're assuming such a person would be motivated to go the that level of effort in searching and/or that they would even think to look for/find places such as INGO.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Apparently its worth two days of training at Tactical Response, and a stay in the team room. Now, its possible esrice got some side benefits that he didn't mention in the AAR. I can't say.

Sign me up! But I will skip on the side benefit part.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Aaah... Like health care.

How so? You cannot afford health care, that's "your" problem, not mine. I'm not responsible for that. It is a privilege, not a right.

However, when you screw up and it costs me my rights when I could have done something more about it beforehand...who do I have to blame.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I never suggested there wasn't. However, you're assuming such a person would be motivated to go the that level of effort in searching and/or that they would even think to look for/find places such as INGO.

You're assuming that someone who wont go out of their way to watch YouTube or conduct an internet search will go out of his way to pay $50.00 for a basic handgun class. Hell, they probably did the internet search to find the class in the first place.

Top Bottom