• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Having a favorite and only cheering when that schedule is imposed is a far cry from having won anything.

If you lke your schedule, you can keep your schedule... oh, wait. No. ;)

Everyone but you and a very few others changes their clocks. They won. Facile complaints don't bother the system. Society moves on no matter how much more sense it might make to universally follow universal time. Good fight. But you lost man...before it started.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Everyone but you and a very few others changes their clocks. They won. Facile complaints don't bother the system. Society moves on no matter how much more sense it might make to universally follow universal time. Good fight. But you lost man...before it started.

Those who change their clocks when they're told to win?

What do they win?

What have I lost?

What was at stake?

Submission is rarely categorized as a win, so I'm not sure where you're going with this, but congrats I guess. :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Those who change their clocks when they're told to win?

What do they win?

What have I lost?

What was at stake?

Submission is rarely categorized as a win, so I'm not sure where you're going with this, but congrats I guess. :)

What do "they" win?
    Let's define "they" as not the people who just change their clocks twice per year because it's most convenient. It's the people who got the policy they wanted. And that's what they won. Policy.

What have you lost?
    Policy. Doesn't matter if you follow it or not. It hasn't gone your way in terms of getting society to nullify a policy you disagree with.

What was at stake?
    At this point do I need to say it? I will anyway. Policy regarding the universal societal rules about time-keeping was at stake. You can pretend you neither won or lost by setting your clock to whatever time you want. Meanwhile the world goes by and does what it wants apart from your clock.

And don't get me wrong. I admire a willingness not to join. That's a solid good trait in my estimation. But at some point, pragmatism rises in priority. Time isn't my hill to die on. My preference for timekeeping is just one in many. The individuals in the many get to think for themselves. They don't need me to "prefer" for them.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Well, congrats to whomever wanted a policy of ever-changing schedule adjustments and clock wankery and got it, then.

I doubt that applies to anyone on INGO or most of the world, but perhaps a handful of politicians and lobbyists long ago.

Politicians and lobbyists just aren't as much fun to ridicule as folks who believe it makes some sort of sense and try defending it as rational.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, congrats to whomever wanted a policy of ever-changing schedule adjustments and clock wankery and got it, then.

It was me, all me . . .

mr-burns-laughing-gif-7.gif

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It was me, all me . . .

Sadly, reverting back to non-productive time kinda kills your whole shtick. :(

I'm sure it's difficult attempting to stay in character here and feign support for the silly scheme when you'd rather just keep the hour and remain productive year-round.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Question for you ATM... Or maybe more of a hypothetical. The date is November 5th. The rest of the world has changed their clocks by setting them back an hour. You have a business meeting scheduled (by someone that changed their clocks) at 1 p.m.. What time do you show up? If you say 2 p.m. (by your reckoning), haven't you in effect "rolled back" the clock in your head to be in sync and arrive at the proper time? Or do you show up at 1 p.m. "your time" and wait an hour for the other person to show up?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Question for you ATM... Or maybe more of a hypothetical. The date is November 5th. The rest of the world has changed their clocks by setting them back an hour. You have a business meeting scheduled (by someone that changed their clocks) at 1 p.m.. What time do you show up? If you say 2 p.m. (by your reckoning), haven't you in effect "rolled back" the clock in your head to be in sync and arrive at the proper time? Or do you show up at 1 p.m. "your time" and wait an hour for the other person to show up?

I think we addressed that maybe 3 or 4 semi-anual arguments ago. I don't recall the outcome. But either way, when you deal with society, there are customs and rules you follow.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    All members of the meeting must know the proper offset for their geopolitical region and the nuances of any changes practiced in the region from which it was scheduled to synchronize attendance properly.

Or, they could schedule with UTC, which doesn't change.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    All members of the meeting must know the proper offset for their geopolitical region and the nuances of any changes practiced in the region from which it was scheduled to synchronize attendance properly.

Or, they could schedule with UTC, which doesn't change.
    Computers make that easy, as they work in UTC.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I still say make everyone operate on [STRIKE]DST[/STRIKE] UTC. Worldwide. Eliminate DST AND time zones. Works for the railroad and airlines!

Within a decade, folks will realize time is just a number, where some go to bed at noon, and others at 7AM. They'll get over it soon enough. No more "ohhhh! I thought the meeting was 3 Eastern time. Sorry."

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Well it's Sunday at 12:13am - I hate this waiting part.

They should change the actual time to adjust our clocks at a more convenient hour so we don't have to wait until 2 in the freakin morning to do it. Yes we get an extra hour of sleep but by not getting to bed until 2:30 or 3:00am because we're looking for all the damn clocks to change, we can't take advantage of that extra hour.

I need to make so more coffee. :xmad:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well it's Sunday at 12:13am - I hate this waiting part.

They should change the actual time to adjust our clocks at a more convenient hour so we don't have to wait until 2 in the freakin morning to do it. Yes we get an extra hour of sleep but by not getting to bed until 2:30 or 3:00am because we're looking for all the damn clocks to change, we can't take advantage of that extra hour.

I need to make so more coffee. :xmad:

You don't have to stay up.
    You can change the clocks before bed, or when you wake up.
    The change is at this time, to minimize problems with businesses.
    Less businesses are open at 2 AM. Therefore better tie to change.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I got up, my alarm clock said 5am... hey, that's still sleeping in from my normal weekly routine. I walk to the living room, my wall clock says 6am.... :rockwoot: I really slept in!!!

I have very few clocks that don't change on their own. Those have been changed now.

Top Bottom