• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    There's a difference between running over a guy trying to get into your car during a spontaneous riot and barreling into a crowd at 75mph, simply because they were blocking the roadway.
    Your problem, and trust me, it's not solely your problem (it's widespread) is how you don't realize how your words sound in other people's ears. This is a very, very sensitive subject. For majority of officers that carry the brunt of opposition for the actions of the few, and have to continuously have to hear how racist they are, it's distressing. It's also distressing for the majority of law-abiding, gainfully employed blacks who have to continuously hear how bad or subversive they are. When the majority, regardless whether police of black people or anybody, are continuously mislabeled there IS going to be pushback.

No where did I suggest anyone do any such thing. A person that wants to hear racial overtones will always find it.

That 'push back' probably should be lawful, or they risk becoming exactly what they proclaim to not be.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Got it, your world outlook is fairly well understood. Mine on the other hand is subject to be bent and contorted to whatever suits your needs to feel victimized and outraged.

My words do not have to inspire confidence Kut. It's not my responsibility to have an opinion that inspires confidence. Just as it is apparently not the protestors responsibility to proceed with actions that reflect a concern for their fellow man.

No one bent or misconstrued your world view. There was no need. You took it upon yourself to illustrate it for all to see.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    context supplied for clarity. Ask yourself under what circumstances should you care and not care about careless people?

Anyone that seriously considered his suggestion as something anyone advocates should exclude themselves from debate, because they have failed to recognize sarcasm. I only suggested that if people get injured while performing these actions, it was their doing and fault. I stand by that statement. If someone actually did what that post suggested, I would support prosecuting the person to the fullest extent of the law.. and feel like the people standing in the roadway exercised absolute disregard for their own safety and as a result were injured or killed... and once again, I'd find it difficult to feel sorry for someone that placed themselves into harms way with no regard for their safety and the safety of others.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I admit that I skipped the last few pages, so apologies if this was covered earlier.

Was listening to the radio over the weekend - talk radio - which I hardly ever do. The commentator (I have no idea who) had an interesting observation: many people think moderate (and liberal) Muslims should do more to denounce the actions of extremists.

By that same logic, there are 2 permutations:
    1) should police officers do more to denounce bad shoots?
    2) should white people do more to denounce white (mostly police) violence against unarmed black people?

Perhaps a new thread?

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Posted before I was finished.

If a good friend or loved one showed no concern about their safety would you run them over? Personally, I think the people shutting down an Interstate highway are breaking the law and they should all be prosecuted. But the penalty for that isn't Capital punishment.

I agree with that. I wasn't suggesting it should be.

I've seen a facebook post with pictures that were supposed to be accidents in Oakland the other day due to the actions of those protestors. Did we see any media coverage though? No. They didn't look severe, but it's only a matter of time...

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I admit that I skipped the last few pages, so apologies if this was covered earlier.

Was listening to the radio over the weekend - talk radio - which I hardly ever do. The commentator (I have no idea who) had an interesting observation: many people think moderate (and liberal) Muslims should do more to denounce the actions of extremists.

2) should white people do more to denounce white (mostly police) violence against unarmed black people?

Perhaps a new thread?

I think law enforcement coming out and voicing their concern and outrage when incidents occur, it would go along way to pacify things.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing about you. Never a mirror around when you need one.... huh, Kut?

I don't think I implied that you misrepresented by stance. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Anyone that seriously considered his suggestion as something anyone advocates should exclude themselves from debate, because they have failed to recognize sarcasm. I only suggested that if people get injured while performing these actions, it was their doing and fault. I stand by that statement. If someone actually did what that post suggested, I would support prosecuting the person to the fullest extent of the law.. and feel like the people standing in the roadway exercised absolute disregard for their own safety and as a result were injured or killed... and once again, I'd find it difficult to feel sorry for someone that placed themselves into harms way with no regard for their safety and the safety of others.

Seriously?

I'm ok with people getting run over for not demonstrating any concern for self preservation. If they don't care, why should I?

You're going to try to pan this off as sarcasm? Ok, maybe it is sarcasm. I can't say definitively that it isn't. What I can say, is I'm not convinced, and think it's more likely you suffer from the common, inability to admit a poor choice of words and are backtracking after realizing it. But that's my opinion.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    What about part 2? :D

I'm not sure it would do much good. I've defended the man shot in Minnesota and still have been accused of being a bigot. So, my words might not mean much. But then again, I often find liberals place value on your words largely dependent upon how your beliefs reflect their own.

I think there already is a LARGE number of white people that do exactly as you suggest. Has it helped? Not that I can see. In Ferguson we saw white protestors come out to support the movement and were subsequently attacked for being white at the wrong place and time. I'll leave the level of involvement people partake in up to the individual. But there will always be those that will see racial hatred and unjustified force where it doesn't exist, regardless of the level of support they see from the general population.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Seriously?

You're going to try to pan this off as sarcasm? Ok, maybe it is sarcasm. I can't say definitively that it isn't. What I can say, is I'm not convinced, and think it's more likely you suffer from the common, inability to admit a poor choice of words and are backtracking after realizing it. But that's my opinion.

I was referring to the original statement he quoted about someone using a plow truck with a snowplow as sarcasm. I meant what I said and don't care you don't like it. It actually brings me some satisfaction to be honest. :rolleyes:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think there already is a LARGE number of white people that do exactly as you suggest.

Where are these groups? They don't seem to get national media coverage.

I'll leave the level of involvement people partake in up to the individual.
    Does the same thought process apply to Muslims vis a vis denouncing terrorism?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    stop_zpsa27c86ea.jpg

64260139.jpg

stop_posting_cat.jpg

da0de240bd6627e19f0820cd473b963d.jpg

stopposting.gif

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Perhaps a new thread?

Unfortunately, both are really difficult to do. I'm sure you remember an officer we had "TC," we all knew that person was kinda "iffy," and there were grumblings around the PD about that person... but we weren't going to start pulling runs/numbers to confirm our suspicious... and the people that looked at this person's numbers probably saw the pattern. They seemed to be ok with it... so what does one do, who do you say something to? I can tell you, I don't want people pulling my runs looking for patterns, and I have nothing to hide. If I said something, I'd forever be labeled "that guy," and what if your suspicions are wrong or unsubstantiated, what then? In absence of CLEAR wrongdoing, which ultimately caught up with that officer, it is often best for the officer simply to leave it alone.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I was referring to the original statement he quoted about someone using a plow truck with a snowplow as sarcasm. I meant what I said and don't care you don't like it. It actually brings me some satisfaction to be honest. :rolleyes:

I can assure you, no one is accusing you of NOT being honest. I can appreciate the a person willing to expose their true view. Though you can dispense of using coded language like "inner city youths." We're clear on whom that applies.

Top Bottom