• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Infection rates will rise because we are testing more people.

The number of positive tests was never a reliable metric for much.

The state is looking more towards hospitalizations, which makes much more sense...and the governor said that they fully expect the rate to rise. The questions is how much and how quickly.
    I’ve been saying the same thing. Total infected has never been a good statistic until/unless we literally are testing everyone.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Even money we are back in " lockdown " by month end. I think infection numbers will climb and panic sets in.

To get herd immunity you have to get people infected.

Ok rant over. So sick of this crap.

Just remember where this crap came from and how they tried to cover up the source while the world was getting sick.
    I'm going to do my best to not buy chinese crap from now on, forever.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think we need to find a way to get someone else to vote for for governor in November.

Even if he'd still win, this gov needs to understand that he has not been adequately representing the people of this state through this pandemic ordeal. He needs to have some accountability before he is elected "king" again.

And NO, voting for the gun control party or the stoner party is not an option...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think we need to find a way to get someone else to vote for for governor in November.

Even if he'd still win, this gov needs to understand that he has not been adequately representing the people of this state through this pandemic ordeal. He needs to have some accountability before he is elected "king" again.

And NO, voting for the gun control party or the stoner party is not an option...

I don't quite understand the ire with Governor Holcomb.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The amount of deaths from Pneumonia are almost double that of KungFlu thru May 1st according to CDC statistics

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Holcomb, like a lot of other gov's, has over done this foolish lock-down. We have not yet begun to see the economic repercussions.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Oh I believe he’s quite accurately representing the vast majority of people with his actions. Maybe not a vast majority of folks here on INGO but based on my interactions with folks out there, they’ve bought hook, line, and sinker into all of the lock down orders. There may be some gradation to the kinds and degrees of the various measures but I think most Hoosiers are on board with him.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The amount of deaths from Pneumonia are almost double that of KungFlu thru May 1st according to CDC statistics

That is great news!
    (until someone spins it into matching their talking points) ..... in 3... 2... 1...

I'm just glad that Pneumonia is not super outrageously contagious like Kung Flu is.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Holcomb, like a lot of other gov's, has over done this foolish lock-down. We have not yet begun to see the economic repercussions.

I agree about the economic repercussions.

Any viable candidate who says they would have done anything different is lying.

Saying "it's not as bad as we thought, so all this stuff was never necessary" is logically unsound and ignores that the result we have now (and so far) only accounts for the lock down and there is no "control" or non-lock-down to compare it to.

It's a horrible situation all-around, but there was no "fight the virus effectively and nothing in our lives changes" option, especially when very little was known about the virus when these decisions had to be made.

Serious "cheap seats" analysis around here.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I heard a good analogy on why wearing a mask, even just a cloth mask that the virus can easily penetrate, helps at least a little. If you're naked, and someone pisses on you, you'll get all of the **** on you (assuming reasonably good aim). If you wear clothes, not all the **** will get on you, some will be stuck in the cloth. And if the person who pisses is wearing clothes and tries to **** through them, the odds are a lot less that you'll get any of the **** on you.

So a mask doesn't prevent the virus from being in the air when a person sneezes. But if he's wearing a mask there's a lot less of it. If you're wearing a mask, if there is virus in the air, you may still get it, but there is a better chance of not getting it even if you're wearing a cloth mask. Even with a cloth mask, you're less likely to get the virus from contact, like touching contaminated surface, and then touching your eyes/nose/mouth.

N95 mask WAY better than just cloth. But by a lot, cloth > nothing if the goal is not to spread the disease. We don't really know the true R0 of the virus, but it seems reasonable to assume it's still in the 2.5 to 4 range. I would bet it's significantly lower with the mask, even cloth masks. So yes, if you don't want to catch the virus, wearing a mask makes the odds better for you if you're wearing a mask in public. Outside? Nah. As soon as I get out of the store, and away from people, the mask is coming off.

Ewwwww. A person who would even think of this metaphor ought to seek professional help! :runaway:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One of my "church friends" posted this:

95121036_10157346040562644_1013316401558978560_n.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    By the time October/November rolls around, maybe we will begin to start to see the results of what this lock down has done to us economically?

How many jobs/careers have been lost for the foreseeable future and permanently?

What kind of bazaar social issues and crime will be the result of this over-reaction to the pandemic?

What has this done economically to our healthcare industry?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I agree about the economic repercussions.

Any viable candidate who says they would have done anything different is lying.

Saying "it's not as bad as we thought, so all this stuff was never necessary" is logically unsound and ignores that the result we have now (and so far) only accounts for the lock down and there is no "control" or non-lock-down to compare it to.

It's a horrible situation all-around, but there was no "fight the virus effectively and nothing in our lives changes" option, especially when very little was known about the virus when these decisions had to be made.

Serious "cheap seats" analysis around here.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13/politics/asa-hutchison-arkansas-coronavirus/index.html

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

There is obviously some overlap going on here. Not sure what they are trying to convey with this numbers game.

COVID + Pneumonia + Flu
    37,308 + 64,382 + 5,846 = 107,536 Not 90,165

If you subtract out the COVID AND Pneumonia (16,564) you get 90,972 which is much closer to the 90,165 but still not accurate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom