Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    About 18 months ago, I was 153 pounds heavier than I am today. My blood pressure was going up (as well as my medication to try and control it). My A1C number was elevated. Today... no BP medication at all, A1C number is “normal”, total cholesterol is good. When I saw the news of those “cormobidities” awhile back, I thought “man, I picked a good time to get serious about getting back into ‘shape’”. :D

Wow. That's awesome. I think 18 months ago was probably the last time I saw you in person. Unfortunately I did not get serious about it until I saw the news of those comorbitities". I work a lot of hours and game probably more than I should, and I like to binge good shows on streaming services. So I live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. But like I said, I'm trying to get a lot more active. I've always loved cycling. Wife and I used to go cycling a lot before I gained a lot of weight. So I'm also getting back into that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Holcomb should be judged by what he did for Indiana. That's the only state that elected him governor.

In my book, he did better than the federal officials, and they did pretty good overall.

I may not agree with every decision he made when he made it, but he's been articulate and deferential to SMEs about the process. Can't ask for much more than that in this situation.

His plan was a little better than I expected given how scared the sheeple are. I think the whole mask thing is a sop the those that have been hiding in their homes watching CNN and are scared out of their wits. Not realizing that many of us have been out all along and now hate being told we have to wear a mask when things are getting better...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I looked at the Sweden/Switzerland data this a.m. Sweden has 2,769 deaths, Switzerland 1779.

It would appear that the Swiss approach has saved lives to this point vs the "open" constraints placed on the Swedish population.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have the news on and just moments ago, one of the doctors was talking about the effectiveness of the social distancing strategies. Interestingly, he noted that we have not seen the decline in numbers the experts had told us we’d see by now it we shut everything down. I wish I’d taken notes but the gist I got from his comments is that while the measures may have helped, continuing them will be of diminishing return.

People aren't really practicing social distancing. At least not all that well. For being shut down there sure is a lot of traffic. Stores are usually crowded when I get there. I don't think the timing is just coincidental. I would wager it's like that all day. And although I do see a lot of people wearing masks, it's not as many as I would expect.

I've gone biking a lot in the last few weeks, at least as much as weather allowed. Holy **** there are a lot of people biking. Went to a major park in Louisville a couple of times last week. The bike paths were very overcrowded. People are not staying away from each other and they're not obeying the rules of the road.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You got to admit. These are strange times.
    My personal bubble has definitely gotten bigger.

What's with all the conspiracy about the virus anyway?
    We watch the epidemic in China, then it's a pandemic that hits Korea... then Italy... then the rest of the world.... REALLY HARD.

But the second it hits the United States.......... it's all a hoax, a government take over, and the virus is not that bad, it's actually the 5G antennas causing the symptoms, Blah Blah Blah...

What? I saw it coming and what it could do just like everyone else did. So why is it only BS here in the states? Was the rest of the world part of the conspiracy just to squash American citizen's rights? That's a hell of a cover-up, don't ya think?

It's a virus.
    It doesn't care about your rights. It doesn't care about who you are or where you live. It's the same virus that hit the rest of the world before coming here. I think we've done pretty good despite all the politics and dumb asses trying to act like it's all made up. Why did it not hit us as hard as the other countries? Because thankfully we took preventative measures and they worked. That should have been a good thing but NO.... it must be part of that lie they keep telling us.

Please step outside the box and see how ridiculous this is all getting.

"But the model... it's all a lie". -- And that's because you see and hear ONLY what you want to see and hear to fit your own agenda.
    Are there bad people taking advantage of this? Yes, because that's what bad people do. Don't harp on that and move on already.

Acceptance people. We all need to be in the acceptance phase to move on with our lives. It's not that hard.

I think a lot of people would be fine with wearing masks. But they think it's just too damn important to be spiteful when the government requires them to wear it. What is this, 3rd grade?

So.....
    Anyone really care to hear about the 2nd wave yet? :dunno:

Because we don't trust our government (or anyone else's). And we have our reasons

View attachment 86781

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Given the choice between voting in a booth in person and voting by mail, I'd mail in my ballot rather than going to the polls.

Considering the number of INGO threads complaining about USPS' poor service in the delivery of their gun parts I have no expectation of any improvement in their processing of a few million ballots in a short period of time.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wonder if the people avoiding wearing masks are invested in companies that do facial recognition.

I mean, if we want to talk about an industry that will have a hard time rebounding from this, its that one. When masks are socially acceptable, facial recognition has problems.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Well, the state isn't saying it's safe to go to Home Depot. They're saying that since Home Depot sells items that are considered necessary, and flower shops don't really sell anything that's necessary, that you may shop at Home Depot, but not a flower shop. With such simple rules, they are inconsistent. Restaurants are a necessity because people need food, and as long as they operate within the rules, it's safer. But, ice cream is not a necessity (unless it's Graeter's double chocolate chunk). Ice Cream shops, because they're considered restaurants, may be open under the same rules as any restaurant, even though they only sell deserts, which are not necessary (notwithstanding Graeter's double chocolate chunk).

This doesn't mention flower shops and it is not talking about flower shops. Where did you get that?
    It is talking about Home Depot having to close sections of the store, garden center, flooring. This implies it is OK to buy some things in a store but not OK to buy other things in the same fricking store.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I wonder if the people avoiding wearing masks are invested in companies that do facial recognition.
    I mean, if we want to talk about an industry that will have a hard time rebounding from this, its that one. When masks are socially acceptable, facial recognition has problems.

You mean when I move my boot to the left side of the neck...I can't press on the right one anymore?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to T.Lex again...

Now that is out of the box...

When you're the resident statist...I guess you think about these things.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

The golfing one is more understandable I guess. In some states you can't just go for a drive with your family. That's ridiculous. But, it's not proof of the assertions implied by these statements.

Washington state banned all recreational fishing and shell fishing in the state. This was stated to be specifically for the "health and well-being of Washington's families". This is not implied as you say, it was specifically stated in a news release. BS!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This doesn't mention flower shops and it is not talking about flower shops. Where did you get that?
    It is talking about Home Depot having to close sections of the store, garden center, flooring. This implies it is OK to buy some things in a store but not OK to buy other things in the same fricking store.

I thought the statement was getting at home depot being open but maybe flower shops weren't. I did not check to see if any states banned flower shops. I'm not aware of any, but I thought maybe that's what they were getting at.

But anyway, I covered your complaint in my post. You can indeed buy flowers, just not in a store with > 50K sq ft, with a lawn and garden department. The purpose behind that rule is to reduce the number of reasons people would shop at large stores. They're not saying buying sponges are okay and flowers are not. They're saying that the departments that are left open are more essential than the ones they closed. You can still buy those things at smaller stores. Now, explaining why they have the rule doesn't imply that I agree with it. I'm just saying it's not saying what you think it's saying. But especially the point was that it's not reasonable to conclude that they made those rules for reasons other than public health based on just that. Which is what all those statements I replied to were obviously trying to say.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't quite understand the ire with Governor Holcomb.

Folks don't understand that politics hones a politician's cautious tendencies most of all, they don't like to be blamed or held responsible for anything

Trump's embrace of federalism has deprived them of the 'I was only following orders' defense, they can chart their own course but they have to own it. That's a recipe for increased caution, because they have skin in the game, which some will feel is too much. Even 'golden boy' Cuomo has been called out by a not insubstantial part of his constituency

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

These aren't connected. You can go to the grocery store or hardware store because those places have things you need, and getting everything on line is not always practical. Voting places are ideal for spreading disease. Given the choice between voting in a booth in person and voting by mail, I'd mail in my ballot rather than going to the polls. Of course, polls could be made less great at spreading disease. Anyway, there's no connection between these two supposed dichotomies that should logically conclude with, "it's not about your health".

Grocery stores are also ideal places for spreading disease just as much as voting places, even more so because you only vote once in a great while but you go to the grocery store pretty often.
    I have no problem getting everything I need from the grocery store delivered to my house - this seems very practical to me, not sure what you mean when you say it isn't.
    There definitely is a connection in that they are places that people go and in the past the people were in close proximity to each other. That is the connection you can't seem to see. Yet they are treated differently - and that is because of politics - not because of your health.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom