Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Uh no, it's not. A sneeze is involuntary and I don't think that it's considered "violence" by any legitimate legal system in the world.

Now if someone were to purposefully walk up to someone else knowing they had to sneeze, and did so directly into their face, they may deserve a punch in the nose, but legally I doubt it would be justified.

There are online articles on how people have been charged with "violence", "domestic terrotiest" for purposely coughing/sneezing at fresh produce in the supermarket as of late.

If you have hiv and knowing have unprotected sex to pass the hiv virus you can be charged for it like that one lady who got lots of sexual partners infected.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Link still works for me.

In Twitter "being ratioed" means that you have a lot more comments (11.1K) than retweets (688) or likes (1.4K). Generally people like/retweet things they agree with. Their only way to show disapproval is via comments. So, when comments overwhelm retweets, it is generally because of an overwhelmingly negative response.

thanks.

I noticed something on FB where a comment gets more reactions than original post. not sure if there's a name for that

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    “When the State tells you it's safe to go to Home Depot to buy a sponge
    but dangerous to go and buy a flower, it's not about your health.

When the State shuts down millions of private businesses
    but doesn’t lay off a single government employee, it's not about your health.

When the State prevents you from buying cucumber seeds because it's dangerous,
    but allows in person lottery ticket sales, it's not about your health.

When the State tells you it's dangerous to go golf alone, fish alone or be in a motor boat alone,
    but the Governor can get his stage make up done, and hair done for 5 TV appearances a week, it's not about your health.

When the state puts you IN a jail cell for walking in a park with your child because it’s too dangerous
    but let’s criminals OUT of jail cells for their health- It’s not about YOUR health!

When the state tells you it’s too dangerous to get treated by a doctor of chiropractic or physical therapy treatments
    yet deems a liquor store essential- It’s not about your health!

When the State lets you go to the grocery store or hardware store
    but is demanding mail-in voting, ITS NOT ABOUT YOUR HEALTH.

WAKE UP PEOPLE — If you think this is all about your health you’re mistaken!
    Please open your eyes! Stop being lead like blind sheep.”

Exactly! :thumbsup:
    I think running surfers off the waves/beach is a great illustration that happened this weekend in FL.

I try not to be political, b/c everyone has opinions based on a deceitful media system & whatever they read/watch (yes, I'm cynical), and there is a lack of informed reasoning. :coffee:
    People are so smart about what they know they aren't going to change their minds. Period.
    Research show that statistically you learn in Sociology that most people vote (party affiliation) like the family they grew up voted. Period.

I watch about 5 news sources (up to 10 if I have time), so as to balance out the lies, distortions & half-truths to find the basic shred of real facts.
    I've gone through 4 so far this am before I escape to the range.

The beauty of this latest distortion (CV), like most "good lies" is that there is some truth mixed in with the "agendas" so as to make the polarity of each sides' view palatable to each their brand of "haters."
    Finding unbiased Truth about a world-wide virus shouldn't be brain surgery. :ugh:
    But, that is what sells & is what will win the next election: believing who is the biggest liar loses, or worse yet, wins, depending on which side of the aisle a person is on what they believe is truth. :scratch:
    I don't think I've ever seen such politicalization of something like this before. :wow:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok party people, looks like some good numbers coming in.

There's a bit of a new baseline setting up for the Grand Re-opening.

Reported mortality rate actually appears to have plateaued and dropped a bit over the weekend. Importantly, it is remaining in the 5% range, and has been there for about a fortnight. (No, not the battle royale.) IMHO that's a great sign that the current infrastructure is managing the hospitalizations. Granted, most of that may be due to the hotspots either burning out or getting the right kind of assistance.

But it kinda doesn't matter. Its good news. And, re-enforces that this may be a good time to start the re-opening.

Likewise, the average deaths per day and the rolling 5 day average are both below their respective trendlines.

I remain apprehensive about this re-opening, but if people do this right, there's no time like the present.

Along those lines, over the weekend it appeared that there were lots of people who went straight from "shelter in place" to "party like its 1999."

ETA:
    The IHME numbers appear to be low now. That is, the "main" number is underestimating the number of deaths, and predicting ~72k total deaths by August. (The actual number is still within the range.)

I anticipate much criticism of the modeling from INGOers that it is not severe enough in its predictions.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You're on a gun forum, you are one of those right wing nuts.

strangelove.gif

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trigger Time again...

Got him.
    Yeah, I hope the OP is one tough hombre, I saw several "right wingers, based on their clothing choice, purely an assumption" that looked like they would not take kindly to that kind of response to a sneeze.
    PS: And has a good lawyer.
    I wore a mask @ Menards, not @ Meijer, but kept my distance as "space" allowed in both places, and would never intentionally sneeze/cough in somebodies face.

My employer will be making all members wear a mask, when production starts back up, I can't imagine loading automotive parts and running weld equipment, while wearing a face mask all day. Thankfully, I'm remote still, and primarily office/computer work @ this stage of my project.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Oh yah.

I can just see a bunch of Gen XYZ'ers on their 35th wedding anniversary (if they make it that long) and Tupac comes on the radio and the woman leans over and says "Listen dear, they're playing our song".

“Now the baby's in the trash heap balling
    Momma can't help her, but it hurts to hear her calling
    Brenda wants to run away
    Momma say, you makin' me lose pay
    The social workers here everyday
    Now Brenda's gotta make her own way
    Can't go to her family, they won't let her stay
    No money no babysitter, she couldn't keep a job
    She tried to sell crack, but end up getting robbed
    So now what's next, there ain't nothing left to sell
    So she sees sex as a way of leaving hell
    It's paying the rent, so she really can't complain
    Prostitute, found slain, and Brenda's her name, she's got a baby”

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh yah.

I can just see a bunch of Gen XYZ'ers on their 35th wedding anniversary (if they make it that long) and Tupac comes on the radio and the woman leans over and says "Listen dear, they're playing our song".
    Rap is like jazz, there's good and there's bad. :)

I didn't care for Tupac overall. But he does not represent the universe that is rap. Perhaps that's for another thread, though. ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A sneeze is violence. My space is my space in these times. I might be forgiving to someone old, but if they are wearing a Don't tread on me t-shirt or some such nonsense to show me they have a right not to wear a mask and to sneeze and cough on me, then violence begets violence.

:facepalm:

Sigh. That's not rational. If someone intentionally sneezes in your face, okay. But if you just sucker punch someone without establishing first that it was intentional, then that just makes you an *******, and not much better than a person who would intentionally sneeze in someone's face. A "don't tread on me t-shirt" plus a sneeze or cough in your personal space doesn't establish intent.

It's difficult to get used to the new social rules regarding space. Just the other day in the store several people ended up in my space like people do when they're looking for the same thing. And I even caught myself doing that. And you often can't tell when a sneeze or cough is coming on. If someone did that to me in the context I just explained, I would be upset about it, and I would certainly say something to the other person. but to assume that's violence and then respond with violence isn't justified. And I don't think you can feel entitled to your 6ft radius circle of exclusion when you're in a public space, but you can expect that people would generally try to respect it.

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, gee, when the "invade my space and I'll attack you" people and the "nobody can violate my right to go where I want or make me wear a mask" crowd meet, I hope I can avoid being collateral damage.

I recommend we "Shelter in Place" to stay safe from adherents to these extremist views.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have been wearing a mask in public long before it was ever mentioned by our government(early February due to covid-19). I really do not get the push against them. I have even seen people quote CDC advise,which was bad when they gave it. The advise to only wear them if sick, it was a lie and an effort to prevent panic because we did not have enough masks. They will have a hard time undoing the damage they did with lies.

Where did you get the chart breakdown on contagion? I would like to read that.

Also I could not rep you for the post. Everyone should be wearing a mask in public.

I heard a good analogy on why wearing a mask, even just a cloth mask that the virus can easily penetrate, helps at least a little. If you're naked, and someone pisses on you, you'll get all of the **** on you (assuming reasonably good aim). If you wear clothes, not all the **** will get on you, some will be stuck in the cloth. And if the person who pisses is wearing clothes and tries to **** through them, the odds are a lot less that you'll get any of the **** on you.

So a mask doesn't prevent the virus from being in the air when a person sneezes. But if he's wearing a mask there's a lot less of it. If you're wearing a mask, if there is virus in the air, you may still get it, but there is a better chance of not getting it even if you're wearing a cloth mask. Even with a cloth mask, you're less likely to get the virus from contact, like touching contaminated surface, and then touching your eyes/nose/mouth.

N95 mask WAY better than just cloth. But by a lot, cloth > nothing if the goal is not to spread the disease. We don't really know the true R0 of the virus, but it seems reasonable to assume it's still in the 2.5 to 4 range. I would bet it's significantly lower with the mask, even cloth masks. So yes, if you don't want to catch the virus, wearing a mask makes the odds better for you if you're wearing a mask in public. Outside? Nah. As soon as I get out of the store, and away from people, the mask is coming off.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Even money we are back in " lockdown " by month end. I think infection numbers will climb and panic sets in.

To get herd immunity you have to get people infected.

Ok rant over. So sick of this crap.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Well, I just posted some pretty good reasons to wear a mask in public if YOU don't want to get the virus. But, that doesn't mean, necessarily, that it's better for society if everyone wears masks. The problem with the novel virus is that no one had immunity to it. Everyone is capable of getting it and spreading it until they develop immunity to it, assuming that we do become immune for at least a bit.

But, if we shelter ourselves from it, then we don't, as a society, gain immunity from it. So I think if immunity is true, then this takes the "greater good" argument in favor of forcing mask-wearing off the table. And that's the reason we're seeing these kinds of laws start to take hold. States have given themselves pretty broad emergency powers. And they have a lot of support from the people. So the kicking and screaming of the few of us who think liberty has a higher priority than safety do, is mostly moot. We're not going to win that argument among the masses. But I think in the public square we can logically take away the "greater good" reasons for enacting greater and greater infringements on rights.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Even money we are back in " lockdown " by month end. I think infection numbers will climb and panic sets in.

To get herd immunity you have to get people infected.

Ok rant over. So sick of this crap.

Infection totals will rise because we are testing more people. The rate may well drop...and/or we will have a better idea of the asymptomatic population.

The number of positive tests, or percentage, was never a reliable metric for much both due to the small percentage of the population tested and the selective nature of who got tested.

The state is looking more towards hospitalizations, which is a better metric because it relates to medical resource use and is a much more reliable number...and the governor said that they fully expect the rate to rise. The questions is how much and how quickly.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's a huge factor that seems to be going largely unreported...

Study: High Blood Pressure, Obesity Are Most Common Comorbidities in COVID-19 Patients

I imagine that if you hit the trifecta and are an obese diabetic with high blood pressure, you're basically screwed. It would be nice if such people were rare, but they are not.

When they say "high blood pressure" does that include those that are controlling it with medications? I assume it does but wanted to confirm if that was the case...

Also there were links to the most popular blood pressure medications as making them susceptible to C-19, anyone see any further updates on this?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom