• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No problem, Kroger is pushing out the fresh meat dept. in favor of Walmart packaged factorymeat, there’ll be plenty of meat cutters available. Now, breaking down primals May be a bit tougher, but I’ll bet they know.

When grocery stores still brought in sides of beef a good size store had 15-20 butchers on the payroll to deal with that. The fresh meat department now just cuts the steaks and roasts out of vacum packs. Not really butchers. FYI, few stores actually grind hamburger any more, they get 10 pound tubes of rough cut beef (think sausage roll X 10) and do finish grind to make it pretty.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    When grocery stores still brought in sides of beef a good size store had 15-20 butchers on the payroll to deal with that. The fresh meat department now just cuts the steaks and roasts out of vacum packs. Not really butchers. FYI, few stores actually grind hamburger any more, they get 10 pound tubes of rough cut beef (think sausage roll X 10) and do finish grind to make it pretty.
    I know, I used to supply them the boxed beef to cut. But there are still old school guys at my local Kroger that can break down beef from primals. I’ll use them if I can swing buying a side. Plus I know the Moody’s of Moody Meats, so I’ll be in good shape, minus the $$’s.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Those hotels aren't empty (or, at least, wouldn't be, if we start housing potentially exposed - much less, confirmed positive - people in them). Who takes care of those people housed in hotels? Who provides their food (since they are prohibited from going to the grocery store)? Are the housekeepers then subjected to continuous quarantine now, too? Are the food delivery people? Again: where does it end?

And (this directly impacts me, so I have a vested interest) what about essential workers who have to be in those hotels? We're going to be forced to be exposed to potentially exposed/confirmed positive people, so they can "isolate" away from their families?

And who pays for it all?

Hotels in hotspots are (in some cases) were empty (or so I understand). I'm just talking about using them temporarily during outbreaks.

Organizing and paying is certainly not easy. I offer this in contrast to trillion-$$ stimulus bills which are also expensive and difficult to organize.

This is a war on a virus and should be treated as such.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Any idea how long disruptions might last? If we empty the pipeline, it sounds like cattle can hold out for a while, but how close to slaughter would the next group of hogs be if they have to ditch the current ones. I realize the packing plants are a significant bottle neck but also wondering how long to prime the system when we get those back up and running
    As soon as the plants open there will be hogs running in the door.
    No producer will euthanize any more than he has to, there will be a supply waiting to go. At least corn is cheap.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't think that I did so? If that was inferred, it wasn't my intent. That said, there are times where ostensibly more-objective Trump detractors sound exactly like the self-described NeverTrumpers.
    Some of the Trump supporters have referred to me as nevertrumper, even though I voted for him, and plan to again this fall. I guess for some, being capable of criticizing him at all means you’re a “nevertrumper”.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some of the Trump supporters have referred to me as nevertrumper, even though I voted for him, and plan to again this fall. I guess for some, being capable of criticizing him at all means you’re a “nevertrumper”.

Who were they?? Lemme at 'em!

iu

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Senator Tom Cotton says China deliberately allowed Wuhan flu to spread...

The Chinese were already in bad economic shape and this would have creamed them while the world economy was roaring hot. They just perpetrated the biggest INTENTIONAL infliction of pain and suffering the world has seen since WWII...

FTFY
    They are benefiting too much in the geopolitical area to be accidental. IMHO.
    They immediately jumped up their SCS bull****.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I still have my Foxfire book collection. Life would have to slow waaaay down but I could do it. Wouldn’t be pretty and my wife would have to be hungry.
    I’m pretty confident that I could butcher a hog for a hog roast no problem, but I’ve been never been around cutting and packaging. I have no idea how to butcher a cow, but like many things on the farm, the project starts with the forklift. Well, after the bullet.

Are you all direct to consumer sales?

Edit: automatic inserted emoticons? The robots are here.

I’m old school, cow calf, feed out everything with my hay and my grain, 5 gallon buckets at a time. I’m there when they are born and say good by at the processor. Direct sales when I can, if I’m short or long cattle my S in L family do cattle too and we help each other out. Relationship with a processor is everything, my goal is to be consistent with him. Sometimes you end up with 1/4 1/2 3/4 of a beef sold or someone backs out we have 4 freezers to absorb any extra, agin my goal is to keep him happy with me

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I know, I used to supply them the boxed beef to cut. But there are still old school guys at my local Kroger that can break down beef from primals. I’ll use them if I can swing buying a side. Plus I know the Moody’s of Moody Meats, so I’ll be in good shape, minus the $$’s.

I think there’s huge potential for someone that wants to be in the custom butcher business. I know farmers that are on waiting lists in multiple places that are months out.
    This isn’t a problem that just happened it’s on going just multiplied buy the Covid. It’s not going away any time soon.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    OK...
    Anyone know a way for me to get some pork, beef, deer in northern Indiana?

The only place I have dealt with up here was John's Butcher in Nappanee. My experience there wasn't good. They put me on their "Venison Waiting List" for years without any call backs after they assured me I would be the first one called. Year after year after year....

I know of a Yoder's Meat & Cheese Co in Shipshewana but they seemed to be pricey.

Anybody? Anything? Have bins and ice, will travel. :):

PM me if it's a secret.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hotels in hotspots are (in some cases) were empty (or so I understand). I'm just talking about using them temporarily during outbreaks.

Organizing and paying is certainly not easy. I offer this in contrast to trillion-$$ stimulus bills which are also expensive and difficult to organize.

So you’re in favor of taking private business for the .gov use? I know of MANY closed hotels, but I’ll be damned if I would let the .gov commandeer them for this! You know FULL WELL, they would use them, and then drop them, leaving the cleanup to the owners. Look at Section 8 for ANYTHING you would like to rebut.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    OK...
    Anyone know a way for me to get some pork, beef, deer in northern Indiana?

The only place I have dealt with up here was John's Butcher in Nappanee. My experience there wasn't good. They put me on their "Venison Waiting List" for years without any call backs after they assured me I would be the first one called. Year after year after year....

I know of a Yoder's Meat & Cheese Co in Shipshewana but they seemed to be pricey.

Anybody? Anything? Have bins and ice, will travel. :):

PM me if it's a secret.

Lingerich Meats on the south side of Fort Wayne. Terrific thick cut smoked bacon. Smoked ham. They have everything.

Right now you have to call and order and they will have ready for same day pick up. No retail customers inside for not sure.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    They bought in a new patient. He had a 14 day quarantine, was green stamped and a few days later he had a fever and tested positive.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Oh, and you cannot fight a war, even with an invisible enemy, without troops on the ground. Sequestering everyone isn’t the answer, unless of course, you’re still getting paid, then simple ****doesnt matter.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    So you’re in favor of taking private business for the .gov use? I know of MANY closed hotels, but I’ll be damned if I would let the .gov commandeer them for this! You know FULL WELL, they would use them, and then drop them, leaving the cleanup to the owners. Look at Section 8 for ANYTHING you would like to rebut.

I don't think anyone needs to take it. The hotel business is going to suffer for the foreseeable future and they might be glad to have the money. College dorms would also be another option

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Oh, and you cannot fight a war, even with an invisible enemy, without troops on the ground. Sequestering everyone isn’t the answer, unless of course, you’re still getting paid, then simple ****doesnt matter.

Here's a discussion from a virologist claiming even mediocre testing and tracing can save money and lives.

I would also argue that any measures that show we are somewhat reducing transmission with help the economy.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1254575445229441024?s=09

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom