Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    It should be posted in the thread I linked, I didn't want to sidetrack this one- oh wait never mind!!

The cattle guy wants $1.35 live weight, they are 1200 lbs now, thats delivered to a processor if you get an appointment. By the time you get an appointment they could be 1600 lbs. He will not sacrifice the finish by trying to feed them less, I specifically checked with him on that, concerning the weight gain. Of course you can come and get one. He says he has about 20 at 1200 lbs.
    Lets use 1200lbs at 62.5% yield, that's 750 lbs of meat (and some bone/fat) and that ends up being $2.16/lb for hamburger, steaks, roasts. Keep in mind it's also some fat and bone, not sure what yield is without that.

The hog guy wants $.30, (that's 30 cents!) per lb live weight. He says he normally ships 750 every two weeks, I'm guessing they're in the 230 lb range.

ETA: We're talking BACON here!!!

Just throwing my two cents in, that’s a good price on beef and a stupid cheap price on pork. Those of you thinking about doing this you are already behind the curve, best Have a processor lined up and freezer space as well as the animals.
    Anybody know how to process beef and pork?!? Talk about a skill to have, I know a guy that buys live hogs does all of it by himself, cures bacon and hams renders fat and makes cracklings. Lots of people doing deer but I don’t know anyone doing beef.
    It’s definitely the bottle neck in the farm to table process, not enough processors. My time slots for 10-15 head of cattle are made a year in advance, makes it tough trying to time an animals weight with a date

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Even if true - that says the chinese virus effectively doubles your chance of dying. That isn't good.

Not what he said, but good try. Here is the exact quote for those that would want the accurate statement:

"Seljak says that getting COVID-19 doubles your chance of dying this year."

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    At present I do not wear a mask. I have them, from before all this, but I do not see the need to use them right now.

I am avoiding people as well as I can. I still have made trips to the grocery and hardware stores as needed. Significantly cut the trips down. When I do go I get what I need and get out. I sterilize after, in my truck. Same for when I get gas, which isn't as often either.

If I knew I was exposed I would wear a mask and do so properly when I had to be in contact with other people. I could easily stay at the project house I am working on so as not to infect family that I live with. If I started to show symptoms I would hole up until either better or hospital bound.
    I am of the same feeling on this.

I follow the rules and don't go out unless necessary. I live in a area that is low on virus the virus count scale. When out, I'm very cautious and distance as instructed. The same with using wipes and hand sanitizer. Treat and wash after touching anything not me.

It'd be a different story if I had to go hands on with others much. I un-cloth and decontaminate when returning home along with hitting the shower.

Conversely, a good half of the folks I see masked are doing more to spread the virus than hindering it. They are continually messing with their masks, glasses, phones, faces.

20200417-165058.jpg
    20200417-165044.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is everyone going to get it? That is the difference.

Exactly. Until you get it, it has the same chance of killing you as any other "natural cause". It's not until you actually get it (and have symptoms that are serious enough to pose a threat to you) that your chance of dying doubles when compared to those other causes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    define greed if you still wish to discuss and post your response in the Orthodox thread.

I stand by what I said, my answer won't change. No matter what x,y,z scenario you come up with. In fact your underlying theme is I am inconsistent. If you disagree state your case.

Either produce the evidence or admit you are like the Democrats in the Ksvenaugh hearings. Usually I try to find a middle ground excuse for someone but you leave less and less reason to do so.

Bluntly, where have I proved inconsistent?

As to wealth and worship, I've posted on it before here on INGO. Just the possession of money is not greed. That's why I asked you for a definition

"No, no Mr Bond ..." I'm not arguing you're inconsistent, just the opposite actually. I'm arguing that you are hypocritical in consistently endeavoring to hold Trump to higher/different standards than you hold other public figures to

I'm not sure, but coming on INGO to snipe at Trump only to play the aggrieved party when that engenders pushback might be inconsistent with Proverbs 15

Luke 12:17-21, a parable on greed

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Just throwing my two cents in, that’s a good price on beef and a stupid cheap price on pork. Those of you thinking about doing this you are already behind the curve, best Have a processor lined up and freezer space as well as the animals.
    Anybody know how to process beef and pork?!? Talk about a skill to have, I know a guy that buys live hogs does all of it by himself, cures bacon and hams renders fat and makes cracklings. Lots of people doing deer but I don’t know anyone doing beef.
    It’s definitely the bottle neck in the farm to table process, not enough processors. My time slots for 10-15 head of cattle are made a year in advance, makes it tough trying to time an animals weight with a date
    I still have my Foxfire book collection. Life would have to slow waaaay down but I could do it. Wouldn’t be pretty and my wife would have to be hungry.
    I’m pretty confident that I could butcher a hog for a hog roast no problem, but I’ve been never been around cutting and packaging. I have no idea how to butcher a cow, but like many things on the farm, the project starts with the forklift. Well, after the bullet.

Are you all direct to consumer sales?

Edit: automatic inserted emoticons? The robots are here.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It seems the dictator of Michigan was not very happy a democrat lawmaker had praise for Trump.

On Fox News Friday night, Michigan State Representative Karen Whitsett told Tucker Carlson that text messages she's been receiving from Governor Whitmer have not been pleasant ever since the Democratic state lawmaker credited President Trump for her personal recovery from the Wuhan coronavirus. The lawmaker now faces a censure from her Democratic colleagues for crediting the president for her recovery.

Tucker Carlson asked Whitsett if the governor ever called the representative to simply say, "I'm so glad you didn't die?"

"Actually, it was not as pleasant as that," Rep. Whitsett began, "and the text messages that we have had since then have not been as pleasant as well."
    Rep. Whitsett said she "didn't know 'thank you' belonged to one political party over another," and said she will continue to speak out against the governor or any other person who stands in the way of Michiganders getting access to the medicine and equipment they need to survive the disease.

The lawmaker previously said she was feeling extremely ill until she began taking hydroxychloroquine. Whitsett credited President Trump for helping her gain access to the medication that she and her doctor believe to be responsible for helping her survive the virus. After Trump expressed optimism in the decades-old anti-malaria drug, Gov. Whitmer inexplicably moved to restrict the drug's off-label use as a treatment for the coronavirus.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/brons...d-trump-for-her-coronavirus-recovery-n2567606

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Is everyone going to get it? That is the difference.

I get it now. Thanks.

So for the people that catch it the virus doubles their chance of dying. But according to posts here - for everybody, the economic crisis increases their chance of dying and unemployment increases their chance of dying too. So overall, not a good deal for anybody.

At least the chance of dying in a car crash is reduced. :)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The European Union was set to condemn China for their actions concerning C-19 Politico reported but the Chinese mounted an all fronts propaganda and intimidation action and they caved and rewrote it...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Any idea how long disruptions might last? If we empty the pipeline, it sounds like cattle can hold out for a while, but how close to slaughter would the next group of hogs be if they have to ditch the current ones. I realize the packing plants are a significant bottle neck but also wondering how long to prime the system when we get those back up and running

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    No problem, Kroger is pushing out the fresh meat dept. in favor of Walmart packaged factorymeat, there’ll be plenty of meat cutters available. Now, breaking down primals May be a bit tougher, but I’ll bet they know.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Senator Tom Cotton says China deliberately allowed Wuhan flu to spread...

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65098)]I believe the Chinese Communist leaders, when they were aware of those facts by mid-January, made the conscious decision not to explain to the world that it [the coronavirus] was transmissible between humans, not to shut down travel, not to ask for American or other kind international scientific help, but to allow this virus to escape its borders.

[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65098)]Because if they were going to suffer an economic contraction, they were not going to allow the world to prosper and China be the only country whose economy was declining.[/COLOR]

The Chinese were already in bad economic shape and this would have creamed them while the world economy was roaring hot. They just perpetrated the biggest infliction of pain and suffering the world has seen since WWII...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom