• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So, I didn't respond to "Trumpophobe" or "Trumpophile". I responded to a straw man argument. I'm all for objective criticism; logical fallacy, on the other hand, undermines any reasonable discourse.

Unfortunately, with respect to politics, there almost isn't any such thing as reasonable discourse anymore. From either side.

With respect, nevertrumper belongs in the same category.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Chip responded to the bolded part and that was what my reply specifically referenced

The Pine-Sol comment was a play on the words in the study cited earlier regarding using UV light (Cedars Sinai was the company involved).

NB: I assume Cedars Sinai refers to the hospital, not to a drug company.

In any case, the Pine-Sol comment was snark. Now, don't get me wrong; I enjoy some good snark, giving and receiving. But in the context of this discussion we're having about responses being commensurate, how was that not an escalation? The study was cited in response to the claim that dosing UV from inside the body was absurd/impossible/ridiculous. It is a valid response. So, why the Pine-Sol snark in response to it?

If Trump supporters continue to "dig in" to defend him, then should they expect an equal an opposite reaction.

And therein lies the problem: you are implying that the escalation of response is coming from Trump supporters, when in reality they are merely responding to the absurd escalation from Trump detractors. The "intravenous disinfectant" brouhaha is a veritable case study in how these situations play out, time and time again, ad nauseum.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Other members of Congress own cattle, but only a few of us RAISE cattle.I fix the fences, feed the hay, castrate bulls, fertilize fields, put tags in their ears, move them between pastures, wean calves.FOOD SHORTAGES ARE COMING.USDA needs to acknowledge and respond now.

[FONT=&quot]The alternative is to do nothing while staring at bare supermarket shelves. Farm animals will be euthanized and buried in pits or burned if nothing changes. Crops are already being plowed under and milk is already being poured out. I am only 1 of 435, call your congressman now.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    WOW!
    Some people need to stop watching CNN.

Bottom line..... UV Light and Cleaners.
    Was he wrong? I know his delivery was off, but was he wrong? He talks right off the cuff with no word filter, but was he wrong?

Exactly.... So why aren't we discussing the plan to nuke China? :dunno:

Isn't it great that we can argue about what the president said or didn't say instead of being in prison for firearm charges?
    That's where we would be if Hillary was elected and this site would probably be shut down by now.

Just count your blessings and move on already.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To all advocating continued lockdown this is more articulate than I am. I have posted before it is largely the affluent afraid of death trying to get over their own panic. In doing so they are lying in the media to the young about theirs risk to convince them to do their bidding, the young know they are lying...

Too great a part of the country’s moral discourse over the past few weeks has resembled nothing so much as chorus of decadent, privileged elites demanding that the entire country abandon life and participate in the most rigorous of measures—cramping lives and destroying livelihoods regardless of real need—to diminish their panic in the face of possible deaths. It is time to raise our chins and be a bit more stoic about things going forward.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/23/how-cowardice-and-class-privilege-divide-support-for-coronavirus-lockdowns/

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Still, doesn't make it right to lump any opposing view into being a NeverTrump voice.

I don't think that I did so? If that was inferred, it wasn't my intent. That said, there are times where ostensibly more-objective Trump detractors sound exactly like the self-described NeverTrumpers.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Chip,

Like I said, I do appreciate your comments.

However I did not make a blanket post and your replies are those to be expected as if I did so.

I replied to a specific post. One that used inflammatory language. "Trump-bashing", "libtard media", Trumpophobic poster. "Trump was right all along"

Your attempt to define the problem suffers from a POV that fails to take into account an oppostionary POV.

Unless you know more than I do, there are not any media personalities here. There is a tendency to lump people that call into question anyone that deviates from supporting Trump into "NeverTrump", "Trumpophobe" etc. Do you have direct evidence that any poster participating in this thread on INGO has taken such a stance?

I am not implying anything, I have stated it directly and the evidence is all over INGO. If a person posts disagreeing with Trump, they get a pile on from the Trump supporters.

A simple example, an anti Trump post will be met with an assumption the anti Trump poster is a Biden supporter and if that doesn't work out then the anti posters vote for anyone other than Trump is a vote for Biden anyway just to fit their POV.

So again, it will play out ad nauseum, but not because of posts that come from a person that spends time defending AND questioning Trump.

I don't expect it will change as this is after all the internet, however, I find it disingenuous to not call into question responses from Trump Supporters who do the same thing as Trump detractors. Denying the herd mentaility distracts from credibility.

NB: I assume Cedars Sinai refers to the hospital, not to a drug company.

In any case, the Pine-Sol comment was snark. Now, don't get me wrong; I enjoy some good snark, giving and receiving. But in the context of this discussion we're having about responses being commensurate, how was that not an escalation? The study was cited in response to the claim that dosing UV from inside the body was absurd/impossible/ridiculous. It is a valid response. So, why the Pine-Sol snark in response to it?

And therein lies the problem: you are implying that the escalation of response is coming from Trump supporters, when in reality they are merely responding to the absurd escalation from Trump detractors. The "intravenous disinfectant" brouhaha is a veritable case study in how these situations play out, time and time again, ad nauseum.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I believe I was simply using Trump's language?

That said i have appreciated the value you have brought to the discussion. However, Trumpophila is simply to counter Trumpophobes. That is what I am calling attention to.

The candidate's own words you say? Perhaps you could compare and contrast your assertion that Trump is an idiot and idiots can't be allowed to run the WuVid 19 response and by extension the government to the fact that Biden is an idiot? What should he be allowed to run? You might want to avoid Bidenophilia in your response, though

https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-media-gaffes-coronavirus
    Joe Biden's gaffe-filled coronavirus media blitz drives negative headlines

Biden then attempted to detail his plan to fight the coronavirus crisis, but appeared to lose track of his place on the teleprompter and signaled to his staff that there was something wrong, before going off on an uncomfortable ad-lib.
    "And, in addition to that, in addition to that we have to make sure that we, we are in a position that we are, well met me go the second thing, I've spoken enough on that," Biden said.

Biden wasn’t only criticized for touching his face on “The View,” as he was also accused of giving an incoherent answer when co-host Sara Haines asked if businesses should reopen in the near future.
    “We have to take care of the cure, that will make the problem worse, no matter what,” Biden responded, sparking confusion and criticism on social media.
    Conservative strategist Chris Barron compared Biden’s recent media appearances to “Monty Python” skits.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Chip responded to the bolded part and that was what my reply specifically referenced

The Pine-Sol comment was a play on the words in the study cited earlier regarding using UV light (Cedars Sinai was the company involved).

If Trump supporters continue to "dig in" to defend him, then should they expect an equal an opposite reaction. It shouldn't be surprising when a person who was not a never Trumper but questions Trump and then gets lumped into the Never Trumper Camp begins to "dig in" in their opposition no? Good for the goose is good for the gander. That is precisely the question I asked in the political thread, which is where this discussion really belongs, when I asked if Trump supporters in swing states may vote against him. I was immediately told no.

Well be glad I am in the state of Indiana because I voted for him, but my vote will more than likely go 3rd party this go around.

Medal or chest?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The candidate's own words you say? Perhaps you could compare and contrast your assertion that Trump is an idiot and idiots can't be allowed to run the WuVid 19 response and by extension the government to the fact that Biden is an idiot? What should he be allowed to run? You might want to avoid Bidenophilia in your response, though

https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-media-gaffes-coronavirus
    Joe Biden's gaffe-filled coronavirus media blitz drives negative headlines

I rest my case...Mr Bennett

PS please post where I said Trump is an idiot so I can apologize. After the reference suggesting the Orthodox church in Greece has a value 3x that of the Roman Catholic church forgive me if I start to hold your posts at a higher level of scrutiny

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Thought you wanted to stick to the topic’s thread and move these to the political thread. What happened, poor idea, or did some mean girls kick sand on you in the eighth grade?

Whose sock puppet are you? 364 posts in 7 years and now you're a moderator? LOL

I don't really care either way at this point. The thread has useful information every once in awhile and that's fine with me.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

That is exactly the kind of studies that we need. It would be wonderful if an agent could be developed that fought the viruses directly on a broad spectrum basis. I hope this study pans out but even if not it should trigger others to take this approach in other studies as well.
    This could be huge - like an antibiotic that works against viruses.

Thank you for posting that.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Other members of Congress own cattle, but only a few of us RAISE cattle.I fix the fences, feed the hay, castrate bulls, fertilize fields, put tags in their ears, move them between pastures, wean calves.FOOD SHORTAGES ARE COMING.USDA needs to acknowledge and respond now.

[FONT=&amp]The alternative is to do nothing while staring at bare supermarket shelves. Farm animals will be euthanized and buried in pits or burned if nothing changes. Crops are already being plowed under and milk is already being poured out. I am only 1 of 435, call your congressman now.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie

[/FONT]

This is actually happening in real time right now. With Logansport closed my next door neighbor may be forced to euthanize 200-300 hogs per week if nothing is done within three weeks or so. Of course he'll keep what he can but when there's is no room it's game over. He's changed his feed rations to slow down growth which is completely counterintuitive.

I also have a neighbor who can't deliver cattle, they will keep a little better/easier but it's not desirable.

There is a thread in survival and preparedness about this 480477-80-000-pounds-so-free-meat-2.html and I've posted in there as well; the OP seems to have found a temp solution for his but I've posted in there as well.

Basically if someone can butcher now is the time to stock up. Butcher shops are backed up now as well but if you can get in get em while they're hot. Let me know over there or by pm if you want meat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom