• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    From the research I've done it appears that most of the Corona deaths are due to the fact that the illness presents as a minor flu and then ultimately turns into pneumonia and ultimately respiratory failure.

I just don't see what the big deal is. There have been 19,000,000 cases of the plain old flu in the US this season, with 180,000 hospitalizations and 10,000 deaths. And people are acting like this is the zombie apocalypse. "This really hit home..." Really? What are the chances that your loved one's cough is the corona virus? And are people serious about Tyvek suits and MOPP gear? Please.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I just don't see what the big deal is. There have been 19,000,000 cases of the plain old flu in the US this season, with 180,000 hospitalizations and 10,000 deaths. And people are acting like this is the zombie apocalypse. "This really hit home..." Really? What are the chances that your loved one's cough is the corona virus? And are people serious about Tyvek suits and MOPP gear? Please.

Could be because this is the new kid on the block.
    It's still spreading.
    And where it has, it appears to kill more people.
    The numbers vary, but I think it's something like .5 percent, compared to the new kid at 4 percent. Which makes it 8 times more deadly.

Course, that depends on what you call "more deadly".
    If it transfers 1/8th the rate, then it would be equal.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Could be because this is the new kid on the block.
    It's still spreading.
    And where it has, it appears to kill more people.
    The numbers vary, but I think it's something like .5 percent, compared to the new kid at 4 percent. Which makes it 8 times more deadly.

Course, that depends on what you call "more deadly".
    If it transfers 1/8th the rate, then it would be equal.

but if it spreads like measles...
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html
    and that’s from the CDC, so possibly way understated.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I believe H1N1 had a death rate of something like 0.1%

Covid19, even at the low end figures (which are possibly suspect) is 2.5 to 4%. So, scale that up - for the same 19000000 cases, you would be talking ~3420000 hospitalizations and 475000 to 760000 deaths. Many of the hospitalizations require interventions such as supplemental oxygen and ventilators to keep the death rate that 'low'. The entire United States lacks anywhere near that intervention capability

In reality, competent epidemiologists are saying between 60 and 70% of US citizens (330000000) could get this disease, so 198000000 to 210000000. Around 18% will have a serious case by current estimates, so 35640000 to 37800000 potential hospital beds needed. 2.5 to 4% will die, so 891000 to as much as 1512000 dead

About 931000 total hospital beds in the US

Total US dead in the 1918 pandemic 675000

We can certainly all hope and pray these numbers come down with experience in treatment, but it could be on a par with the 1918 pandemic very easily

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    [FONT=&amp]U.S. Pacific Fleet commander Adm. John C. “Lung” Aquilino has directed all vessels visiting nations in the 7th Fleet area of operations “to remain at sea for at least 14 days before pulling into another port in order to monitor sailors for any symptoms" of [/FONT]COVID-19[FONT=&amp], a new and deadly strain of the coronavirus.

[/FONT]https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...ions-in-7th-fleet-aor-as-coronavirus-spreads/

I think a tv series started like this...sigh.

"Last Ship"

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere

The Chinese didn't take a baseball bat to the knees of their economy for kicks and giggles. You think old Winnie the Pooh and his crew care if a few more slaves die in their factories from "The Flu with a twist"? Yet they shut down province after province full of millions of now unproductive workers because they felt this could be a very deadly issue.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I believe H1N1 had a death rate of something like 0.1%

Covid19, even at the low end figures (which are possibly suspect) is 2.5 to 4%. So, scale that up - for the same 19000000 cases, you would be talking ~3420000 hospitalizations and 475000 to 760000 deaths. Many of the hospitalizations require interventions such as supplemental oxygen and ventilators to keep the death rate that 'low'. The entire United States lacks anywhere near that intervention capability

In reality, competent epidemiologists are saying between 60 and 70% of US citizens (330000000) could get this disease, so 198000000 to 210000000. Around 18% will have a serious case by current estimates, so 35640000 to 37800000 potential hospital beds needed. 2.5 to 4% will die, so 891000 to as much as 1512000 dead

About 931000 total hospital beds in the US

Total US dead in the 1918 pandemic 675000

We can certainly all hope and pray these numbers come down with experience in treatment, but it could be on a par with the 1918 pandemic very easily

there are additional problems from this virus plus who knows what additional unknowns there maybe. If you are a young man and want to have kids someday you might not because of this virus. Also damages kidneys and lungs. Attacks the brain and can cause heart attack on a secondary infection. Who knows what else. I’ll pass thanks.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    With the internet it is difficult to try and catch all the details of a subject without creating a wall of text that no one wants to read. So we are left trying to make the most poignant statement with the fewest words.

N95 masks is the grade of masks I was referring to in my previous post. I also have a respirator with P100 filters. Some will still argue it isn't enough.

Hard surface transference is my biggest fear.

I work in aerospace, gloves, masks and eye-pro are required but people still touch their faces. It is very tough not to do. Gloves, masks and eye protection can help the wearer to not touch their face. Any additional protection from someone else's spittle is certainly a bonus.

The decision is still looming whether I go out wearing a full-face shield or not.

How far should someone go when they have all the gear but are afraid to look silly or incite a panic? I don't want to look stupid, so I don't mind increasing my chances of catching a serious illness.

Perhaps this would help?

cone_of_shame.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed a coronavirus(Covid-19) case in Lagos State Nigeria. The case which was confirmed on 27/02/2020 is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020

https://twitter.com/Fmohnigeria

City of over 9.5 million.

Added to the list from yesterday for new first time cases today.I think we are up to 24 new countries added in the last 3 days now.
    Denmark, Estonia, The Netherlands, San Marino, Northern Ireland, and Nigeria.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    With the internet it is difficult to try and catch all the details of a subject without creating a wall of text that no one wants to read. So we are left trying to make the most poignant statement with the fewest words.

N95 masks is the grade of masks I was referring to in my previous post. I also have a respirator with P100 filters. Some will still argue it isn't enough.

Hard surface transference is my biggest fear.

I work in aerospace, gloves, masks and eye-pro are required but people still touch their faces. It is very tough not to do. Gloves, masks and eye protection can help the wearer to not touch their face. Any additional protection from someone else's spittle is certainly a bonus.

The decision is still looming whether I go out wearing a full-face shield or not.

How far should someone go when they have all the gear but are afraid to look silly or incite a panic? I don't want to look stupid, so I don't mind increasing my chances of catching a serious illness.

One of the hardest things I remember doing to become a RadCon worker (Radiation Control), was NOT TOUCHING MY FACE.
    OH MY GOD!
    It was difficult.

If I had the anti-C suit on, I swear my nose would start itching.

God forbid, I had to put on the Mk5 ClearView gas mask.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed a coronavirus(Covid-19) case in Lagos State Nigeria. The case which was confirmed on 27/02/2020 is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020

https://twitter.com/Fmohnigeria

City of over 9.5 million.
    Great, now the Nigerian Royals have something else to sell!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Where did they get the RO of 1.4?
    Never mind.I see where they got it from.They used a MERS paper,not one for Covid-19,and just called it comparable because it is also a coronavirus.

It is no where near the same disease.

Even the WHO says between 2.5-4.6 now.Most papers though (Los Alamos labs ect)are saying 4.4-6.7,but the newest out of South Korea says 11.2-12.

I would like to read the study where they got the 1.4 figure from.I was not aware anyone had that low of a RO for it.The article lists no sources either.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    ERc3-t_WoAEkQaO.jpg

Here are the Fatality by Age stats, based upon the data we know right now. In time, this data will change to reflect a clearer picture of the imact. Given the extreme response put forth by governments around the world, this virus is very different than regular flu.

I agree that MOPP gear is a waste of time. Not touching your face, hand washing, contmination avoidance, and healthy lifestyle are more important.

So is simple preparation. Three weeks of food for the famiy, in case of quarintine is critical. Back-up water, power, heat, and ability to cook are important. Extra tp, soap, paper towels and paper plates/trash bags for bugging-in. If this all blows over, it will all get used over the course of the summer. But if it goes full lock-down, like we are seeing elsewhere, then it greatly increases the control you have over your fate, and that of your family.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Where did they get the RO of 1.4?
    Never mind.I see where they got it from.They used a MERS paper,not one for Covid-19,and just called it comparable because it is also a coronavirus.

It is no where near the same disease.

Even the WHO says between 2.5-4.6 now.Most papers though (Los Alamos labs ect)are saying 4.4-6.7,but the newest out of South Korea says 11.2-12.

I would like to read the study where they got the 1.4 figure from.I was not aware anyone had that low of a RO for it.The article lists no sources either.

Hmmm, this article quoted WHO 1.4-2.5
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...ho-estimate#Higher-estimates-than-WHO-predict

They are using stats like the one I originally posted.
    https://sph.umich.edu/pursuit/2020posts/how-scientists-quantify-outbreaks.html

Death rate seems to vary greatly by Country. I'm here dealing with Influenza A, It's been a LOOOONG time since I've had the flu. The precautions I'm taking to keep from spreading this are the same for Kung Flu, washing hands, no open coughing, etc. People need to stop being gross

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The one possible positive outcome of this pandemic, would be the fall of the CCP in China. If the locals realize that President Pooh has lost the "mandate of heaven", it could get real interesting.

Toss in the fall of Kim Jong Fatso in North Korea and the evil rulers of Iran, and the world could be a very different place by this summer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom