• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    With the internet it is difficult to try and catch all the details of a subject without creating a wall of text that no one wants to read. So we are left trying to make the most poignant statement with the fewest words.

N95 masks is the grade of masks I was referring to in my previous post. I also have a respirator with P100 filters. Some will still argue it isn't enough.

Hard surface transference is my biggest fear.

I work in aerospace, gloves, masks and eye-pro are required but people still touch their faces. It is very tough not to do. Gloves, masks and eye protection can help the wearer to not touch their face. Any additional protection from someone else's spittle is certainly a bonus.

The decision is still looming whether I go out wearing a full-face shield or not.

How far should someone go when they have all the gear but are afraid to look silly or incite a panic? I don't want to look stupid, so I don't mind increasing my chances of catching a serious illness.

I'm OK wearing my gear in public.
    Looking stupid has never stopped me before. :n00b:

So how many of you guys have your MOPP suits ready to go?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What the WHO is saying is a STATE lab who confirms a case with a test is not an official case.
    Not that they did not test.

Right, it is reported as suspected/unconfirmed. It is not ignored, just put into a different category.

https://www.who.int/publications-de...-infection-with-novel-coronavirus-(2019-ncov)

Here, there's probably no difference. State testing is likely as good as federal. And in reviewing the literature, I wonder if there's something specific to Italy's system that called the results into question.

But, if we're going to really try to compare countries' infection rate/treatment/etc., it is valuable to have a common reporting standard.

Also, standardized reporting allows for things to

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    This just got very real for me.
    My daughter went to the hospital(IU med center Indianapolis 2/26/2020)They did an x-ray and she has "walking pneumonia".They did the rapid flu test,all negative.She is coughing regularly,with some sinus drainage.

I just got off the phone with her.They even told her she could return to work.Which she has.She has no fever. I have not physically seen her in just over 3.5 weeks...sigh.

Not sure if her samples will be tested.Neither is she(or the hospital)for covid-19,but samples where taken.

She is 23 and has been in good health.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My daughter went to the hospital(IU med center Indianapolis 2/26/2020)They did an x-ray and she has "walking pneumonia".They did the rapid flu test,all negative.She is coughing regularly,with some sinus drainage.

I just got off the phone with her.They even told her she could return to work.Which she has.She has no fever. I have not physically seen her in just over 3.5 weeks...sigh.

Not sure if her samples will be tested.Neither is she(or the hospital)for covid-19,but samples where taken.

Hopefully it turns out to be just that. I've had walking pneeumonia before, for me it was more just irritating from the coughing, never really felt bad.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Well ****!
    That sucks. Keep us informed. :(

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

What does walking pneumonia have to do with Covid-19?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

At the risk of being melodramatic, I'll be praying for you guys.

I mean, even if she's fine, prayers can't be a bad thing, right? :)

Similar symptoms for one thing. Second is that it presents a weakened immune system which means exposure to COVID-19 could be far more serious.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I moved into a house years ago that had switched to public water from a well. The well pump and tank were stored in the shed. I hooked the pump up to the well and ran a garden hose from it. If I wanted the yard watered, I just plugged in the pump. The well water there wasn't that nice. The water table was less than 25 feet.

Years ago, I got city water to the house.
    The well had to be disconnected, can't risk it contaminating the city supply.
    But, the well is still there.
    I need to pipe it up to a valve and spigot, and reconnect the wires, and I'll have a water source.
    I imagine I'd have to run it a bit, probably a lot of iron.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I'm OK wearing my gear in public.
    Looking stupid has never stopped me before. :n00b:

So how many of you guys have your MOPP suits ready to go?

Been two years since I wore MOPP gear. Was HAZMAT Ops and Tech certified in the past. Spent 10 years as a CBRN instructpr. A person has to go through the training, and spend a bunch of time in the gear, to get good at it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I moved into a house years ago that had switched to public water from a well. The well pump and tank were stored in the shed. I hooked the pump up to the well and ran a garden hose from it. If I wanted the yard watered, I just plugged in the pump. The well water there wasn't that nice. The water table was less than 25 feet.

If I remember right, I think my well is 70 feet.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

At the risk of being melodramatic, I'll be praying for you guys.

I mean, even if she's fine, prayers can't be a bad thing, right? :)

Similar symptoms for one thing. Second is that it presents a weakened immune system which means exposure to COVID-19 could be far more serious.

From the research I've done it appears that most of the Corona deaths are due to the fact that the illness presents as a minor flu and then ultimately turns into pneumonia and ultimately respiratory failure.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://www.militarytimes.com/flash...nd-liberty-for-troops-over-coronavirus-fears/

[FONT=var(--atype-theme-body-font]U.S. Central Command said Thursday it was suspending leave and liberty for troops and Defense Department civilian workers to and within its area of responsibility over fears related to the spread of the coronavirus.[/FONT]
    [FONT=var(--atype-theme-body-font]“U.S. Central Command is taking multiple prudent measures to prevent the transmission of [/FONT]COVID-19 [FONT=var(--atype-theme-body-font]Coronavirus and to mitigate the operational risk such transmission would pose,” CENTCOM told Military Times in an emailed statement.[/FONT]

[FONT=var(--atype-theme-body-font]Also of note.Turkish [/FONT]parliament[FONT=var(--atype-theme-body-font] is meeting about Syria.[/FONT]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom