tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    View attachment 84424

Here are the Fatality by Age stats, based upon the data we know right now. In time, this data will change to reflect a clearer picture of the imact. Given the extreme response put forth by governments around the world, this virus is very different than regular flu.

I agree that MOPP gear is a waste of time. Not touching your face, hand washing, contmination avoidance, and healthy lifestyle are more important.

So is simple preparation. Three weeks of food for the famiy, in case of quarintine is critical. Back-up water, power, heat, and ability to cook are important. Extra tp, soap, paper towels and paper plates/trash bags for bugging-in. If this all blows over, it will all get used over the course of the summer. But if it goes full lock-down, like we are seeing elsewhere, then it greatly increases the control you have over your fate, and that of your family.

Great post... Just this would put anyone ahead of 98% of the population if it becomes necessary (or prudent) to bug-in. “Bugging-in” needs to be “sold” to the American public as something NOT extreme; it could be as simple as avoiding crowded places like shopping areas and, more importantly, working from home.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Based on the more recent data, the mortality rate is ~3%, and it is primarily older people, so because I don't match that demographic I'm less worried about the virus than I am of panicky people doing dumb stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Based on the more recent data, the mortality rate is ~3%, and it is primarily older people, so because I don't match that demographic I'm less worried about the virus than I am of panicky people doing dumb stuff.

It is most always the panicky people doing dumb stuff because dumb people act panicky and do...…...Dumb stuff.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)

Perhaps, but the article is a week old and prior to the publication of an outbreak in Italy, Iran, and the spike of cases in South Korea. I don't think there will be accurate fatality percentages calculated until this season of this new virus has run its course in several different nations. The data coming out of China is suspect based on their communication history. Time will tell.

I'm completely baffled by the complete lack of understanding of the concept of "self quarantine" or at least the basic idea of 'if you are sick, stay home and away from people'. The Pope, on Ash Wednesday, was out and about hugging people, shaking hands, kissing babies, and being the warm and engaging leader Rome is expecting. All the while, he's blowing his nose and coughing and clearly under the weather... Rewind to Iran and their spokesperson who is saying it's no big deal is also wiping his brown and looking like he should be home in bed...Oops, next day confirms he's contracted COVID-19? I generally expect this virus to show up here, run its course, and move along. It will be remarkably annoying because of the length of time it takes to run its course.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Perhaps, but the article is a week old and prior to the publication of an outbreak in Italy, Iran, and the spike of cases in South Korea. I don't think there will be accurate fatality percentages calculated until this season of this new virus has run its course in several different nations. The data coming out of China is suspect based on their communication history. Time will tell.

I'm completely baffled by the complete lack of understanding of the concept of "self quarantine" or at least the basic idea of 'if you are sick, stay home and away from people'. The Pope, on Ash Wednesday, was out and about hugging people, shaking hands, kissing babies, and being the warm and engaging leader Rome is expecting. All the while, he's blowing his nose and coughing and clearly under the weather... Rewind to Iran and their spokesperson who is saying it's no big deal is also wiping his brown and looking like he should be home in bed...Oops, next day confirms he's contracted COVID-19? I generally expect this virus to show up here, run its course, and move along. It will be remarkably annoying because of the length of time it takes to run its course.

Cause people are STUPID!!
    a dept in one of our sister bldg is completely out on sick leave today. :xmad: some STUPID came to work monday coughing, sneezing and running a fever. Said STUPID for that entire department 15 strong sick that day and by today there was no one in the department due to all calling off sick. Running nose, coughing, sneezing. :facepalm:

And said STUPID is set to leave on a plane tomorrow for vacation still coughing. STUPID is going to georgia.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Cause people are STUPID!!
    a dept in one of our sister bldg is completely out on sick leave today. :xmad: some STUPID came to work monday coughing, sneezing and running a fever. Said STUPID for that entire department 15 strong sick that day and by today there was no one in the department due to all calling off sick. Running nose, coughing, sneezing. :facepalm:

And said STUPID is set to leave on a plane tomorrow for vacation still coughing. STUPID is going to georgia.
    Well it used to be you came to work no matter what. Even if you were dying you were reliable.
    In recent years they started telling people not to come to work or school sick. It wasn't always like that.
    But yeah today there are a lot of people only out for themselves and they really do not consider anyone else. Others just do not have a care in the world. They are just dumb sheep.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Hmmm, this article quoted WHO 1.4-2.5
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...ho-estimate#Higher-estimates-than-WHO-predict

They are using stats like the one I originally posted.
    https://sph.umich.edu/pursuit/2020posts/how-scientists-quantify-outbreaks.html

Death rate seems to vary greatly by Country. I'm here dealing with Influenza A, It's been a LOOOONG time since I've had the flu. The precautions I'm taking to keep from spreading this are the same for Kung Flu, washing hands, no open coughing, etc.
    People need to stop being gross

For some that's easier said than done.

bEGJOyh.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...e-still-testing-positive-for-coronavirus.html

Ontario’s first two cases of the new coronavirus — a husband and wife — have recovered but remain in isolation at their home because tests still show them carrying the bug, authorities say.
    Nose and throat swabs taken since the man was released from Sunnybrook hospital two weeks ago continue to show traces of coronavirus in both him and his wife, who was never hospitalized.
    Public health officials are trying to decipher what that indicates as scientists in China and around the world work to pinpoint more traits of the virus, which has never before been seen in humans.

If they can still infect others....well we are screwed.

If you do not even need to go to the hospital(like the wife) and still test positive more than two weeks later. Really is there any possible way to contain this?

Shut down everything everywhere? Then separate the population by who is positive and who is not? It would be about the only way. Or just say screw it everyone is getting it?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Damn... 8,400 being tested in California, 33 testing positive and not enough test kits...

This is looking like it’s going to get much worse before it gets better.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Damn... 8,400 being tested in California, 33 testing positive and not enough test kits...

This is looking like it’s going to get much worse before it gets better.

Actually having a border might be looking better all the time to those capable of critical thought. Unfortunately the people running that state lack that vital skill.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...e-still-testing-positive-for-coronavirus.html

Ontario’s first two cases of the new coronavirus — a husband and wife — have recovered but remain in isolation at their home because tests still show them carrying the bug, authorities say.
    Nose and throat swabs taken since the man was released from Sunnybrook hospital two weeks ago continue to show traces of coronavirus in both him and his wife, who was never hospitalized.
    Public health officials are trying to decipher what that indicates as scientists in China and around the world work to pinpoint more traits of the virus, which has never before been seen in humans.

If they can still infect others....well we are screwed.

If you do not even need to go to the hospital(like the wife) and still test positive more than two weeks later. Really is there any possible way to contain this?

Shut down everything everywhere? Then separate the population by who is positive and who is not? It would be about the only way. Or just say screw it everyone is getting it?

I will admit that I was a bit naive when it came to spreading the flu until now, currently fighting it off. I was always told that 24hrs after your fever breaks, you are good to go back to work. But no, Dr told me that I could be contagious 1-2 weeks after symptoms first appear, regardless of fever. Typically, 5 days of Tamiflu and I can be around people again. Our current recruit class has been decimated by Influenza B and I can say it has been such a problem because the kids were either coming in sick or returning too early, thinking they are ok. I was brought up to NEVER call in sick. What a terrible, stupid, mentality. I'm bored off my butt at home but I don't want to give anyone else this.

The notion that this new bug shows traces after 2 weeks isn't too outside the normal, just sightly longer than the flu. We are just not accustomed to thinking about being contagious for that long...hence how we make other people sick.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Silver lining to the stock market situation - companies that focus on "homebodies" are doing well. This includes things like Zoom (specializes in teleconferencing software), Netflix, Peloton, etc..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom