• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I have collected 12 different .223 / 5.56 factory loads ranging from 60 to 77 gr for testing to see what my barrel likes best. My plan is to shoot 1 fouler, then a 5 shot group (over a chrono), clean with a brush and several patches, repeat. Does that sound like a good procedure to get fairly accurate results? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A) lsarn to load your own. You can figure out your accuracy load in 10 shots.
    B) what's the clock tell ya? Last I checked the clock didn't give me Group size.
    C)if your not gonna load your own, you need groups at 200/300 or 600 yards
    D) fire 2 or 3 shots to eliminate cold bore, them just shoot. There copper jacketed. Unless your copper fouling the bore (way unlikely) just shoot for groups.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have collected 12 different .223 / 5.56 factory loads ranging from 60 to 77 gr for testing to see what my barrel likes best. My plan is to shoot 1 fouler, then a 5 shot group (over a chrono), clean with a brush and several patches, repeat. Does that sound like a good procedure to get fairly accurate results? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks
    I think that sounds like a good starting plan. That's a factory break in for most barrels, so good on you. Remember that the first couple shots won't matter, shoot them into the woods then see where your barrel is going.

What is your twist rate? That can affect your velocity as well. That will also affect your accuracy, so your groupings will chance.

Specs on your barrel?

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I think that sounds like a good starting plan. That's a factory break in for most barrels, so good on you. Remember that the first couple shots won't matter, shoot them into the woods then see where your barrel is going.

What is your twist rate? That can affect your velocity as well. That will also affect your accuracy, so your groupings will chance.

Specs on your barrel?
    It's a stainless 16", 8 twist, 223 Wylde chamber.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I have my winner. Hornady Black 75gr produced my best group by far, coming in at .532 for the 5 shot group, at 100 yd. SD was at 33.773, with an ES of 93. Average of the velocities was 2544. The winner statistically was somewhat surprising to me, Winchester Silver Tip 64gr produced a SD of 5.706 with an ES of 16. It did not, however, group well.

Attachments

• IMG_0898.jpg
      IMG_0898.jpg
      82 KB · Views: 2
    • IMG_0896.jpg
      IMG_0896.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 2
    • IMG_0894.jpg
      IMG_0894.jpg
      78.8 KB · Views: 2
    Top Bottom