• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    London (CNN Business)Maersk, the world's largest container shipping company, has warned of a "very weak" start to the year as the coronavirus keeps factories shuttered in China and dents demand for the transport of goods.

The Danish ship operator said Thursday that it has canceled more than 50 trips to and from Asia since the Lunar New Year holiday was extended because of the outbreak. Shipping rates are expected to decrease as demand slips, the company said in an earnings report.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/20/business/maersk-earnings-coronavirus/index.html

Global economy meet the hammer,the one pounding the Covid-19 nails.
    Nothing being made=nothing to ship.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    17 now.
    [FONT=&amp]Five nurses and doctors contracted the virus as well.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Italian health minister Roberto Speranza said Italy is now seeing the same sort of “cluster” of cases that Germany and France have seen.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The mayor of Codogno has issued a decree ordering the closure of all restaurants, coffee bars, schools and public gathering spots such as discos and gyms.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The Health Ministry advised area residents to stay home as a precaution.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Local officials in another town, Casalpusterlengo, ordered local schools closed until Tuesday.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]A third town, Castiglione d’Adda, said its libraries, public offices, gyms and waste depots would be closed as a health precaution.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/n...coronavirus-cases-quadruple-emerging-cluster/

I see 3 cities now putting some restrictions up,but not the 10 I heard on the news(AFP).I will keep following and see where this goes.

It is now 50,000 being told to self isolate at home.The polite thing has also flown out the window.

[/FONT]
    ." Salvini attacks the Prime Minister: "Protect us or resign. Close the borders".[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    https://www.ansa.it/canale_saluteeb...ave_4566075c-ee89-411d-8b3a-56b6b8246fc9.html

Confirmed 10 cities ask residents to stay home.All public gatherings banned,and all events(Church,sport,everything).First death may have been just reported(2/21/2020)awaiting another source though.Confirmed Skytg24 an Italian television channel in the area confirming first death.
    https://www.ibtimes.com/10-italian-towns-lockdown-over-coronavirus-fears-2926762/

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    According to the CDC, N95 disposable respirators (fiber masks) are rated for up to 8 hours in healthcare settings. I don't have info on the P100 disposable respirators or cartridge masks.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I first posted this 15 days ago here.Posting one more time.I am the author.

I am going to make a long post,and try to explain what I think is happening.

The reason there is not panic.

1.The information is not reaching people.This is actually true.I know people that have no clue this is even happening.It is hardly mentioned on social media,and if it is they say things like only in China,and that leave readers with the opinion that this is not going to impact the readers life.

2.If they do actually understand the news and that is is a pandemic.They have seen the horrors going on, they can not change how they view the world as they know it.It is called normalcy bias.70% of the entire population experience this during a disaster.Be it a hurricane,earth quake or a pandemic.

Normalcy Bias: is a belief people hold when there is a possibility of a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the likelihood of a disaster and its possible effects, because people believe that things will always function the way things normally have functioned. This may result in situations where people fail to adequately prepare themselves for disasters, and on a larger scale, the failure of governments to include the populace in its disaster preparations. About 70% of people reportedly display normalcy bias in disasters.

You have heard it on the news over and over.Wild fire tears apart a neighbor hood....the people " I can not believe this happened here" While standing in the ashes.It had never even occurred to them that it could happen.Even while standing in the ashes.They had a hard time wrapping their head around it ,the fact everything they thought was normal was gone.That it could and did already happen.

Then you have people who already have something or one to blame.
    Who despite understanding it is happening,want a mental reason of why it will not effect them.They find a piece of information that makes them feel safe.They research it more,based on the idea now in their head they are some how "safer" than some other group.

You can see the exact same thing happening in those who think it is only going to infect/kill some ethnic group,blood type...ect.

It makes them feel safer.The more that believe what they do the better they feel.They can accept the horror is happening,just not that it will happen to them.

Sadly another form of bias.

Then the reason people.
    They already have something in mind to blame.Something like say a vaccines,but it could have been anything.Someone diet.Someone created a bio weapon.Some corporation.A government.Even climate change.As long as there is a reason they can wrap their head around,they will believe it.

Point being they think there is a reason it is happening,that they understand.It gives them someone to blame,making them feel superior,or safer because of the information they believe.It makes the disaster understandable to them.Most of this group are still in the 70% who can not comprehend the idea that it can happen in their life,where they live,or in there country ect.Still hanging on like 70% will do until they are the one standing in the ashes in shock(if they survive).

Last large group.
    Those who think someone or something will save them if anything bad happens they can not handle.
    Be it the government,a doctor they know,or a religion they believe in.
    Most will blame what they currently think is going to save them,when they see that it is not going to.Also most this group are in the 70% who have normalcy bias,but not all.

The rare group.The probably 2-5% understand they and they alone are responsible for taking action to assure their own survival.
    They do not need a reason this is happening.They understand it is though,and are mentally preparing for it.They are doing things in their life to prepare as best they can.They do not need to place blame anywhere,it is not going to help at all.There does not have to be a reason.It is a pandemic,and they would like to survive it.

We need more in that very small group.They can actually help each other.

I know we are in trouble.The world as a whole.I do not think this is something that will be "fixed" anytime soon.I think there are many huge changes that are going to come.
    Most will have almost no mental preparation to accept things are not going back to "normal"for either quite awhile,and possibly never.

Just my random thoughts I put into words trying to organize in my mind what I am dealing with currently,and what the future may look like.
    I really hope we some how dodge all of this.I hope to be wrong.

I think I am at the acceptance stage.Life,commerce,and most of what is normal is about to not be.There will be horror and death,not seen in any of our life times(unless you are in Wuhan).
    It feels odd,but peaceful.None of it will come as a shock to be.The news will not captivate me or my attention.My life will go on in a different way.I am taking this window and spending more
    time with friends and family.I am worried,but not scared or panicked.I am worried about everyone that can not or will not accept we are in a global pandemic,that will change everything.

You are all loved.Be well,be safe,and help each other when ever and where ever you can.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Of those admitted into the hospital ICU(18-33% depending on the study) 61.8% have died in Wuhan,with 19% still in the hospital after 28 days.

It is why the recovery numbers are so low.
    Study today was for 52(out of 710 participating in other studies,the 52 where in ICU with ventilators and other mechanical support).
    patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia, 52 critically ill adult patients were included. The mean age ofthe 52 patients was 59·7 (SD 13·3) years, 35 (67%) were men, 21 (40%) had chronic illness, 51 (98%) had fever.32 (61·5%) patients had died at 28 days, and the median duration from admission to the intensive care unit (ICU) todeath was 7 days.

At day 28 61.5% had died.19% remained in ICU units.

https://www.thelancet.com/lancet/article/S2213-2600(20)30079-5

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So being that the virus is spreading everywhere now is there really any hope left for containment?

It won't kill us all just like the 1918 flu did not kill mankind.
    Life will go on, life always finds a way.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Of those admitted into the hospital ICU(18-33% depending on the study) 61.8% have died in Wuhan,with 19% still in the hospital after 28 days.

It is why the recovery numbers are so low.
    Study today was for 52(out of 710 participating in other studies,the 52 where in ICU with ventilators and other mechanical support).
    patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia, 52 critically ill adult patients were included. The mean age ofthe 52 patients was 59·7 (SD 13·3) years, 35 (67%) were men, 21 (40%) had chronic illness, 51 (98%) had fever.32 (61·5%) patients had died at 28 days, and the median duration from admission to the intensive care unit (ICU) todeath was 7 days.

At day 28 61.5% had died.19% remained in ICU units.

https://www.thelancet.com/lancet/article/S2213-2600(20)30079-5
    I expect those death rates to come down over time as people learn what treatments are effective, but that is horrendous.

Wonder what President Bloomberg's age cutoff would be to pull these people off ventilators?

So being that the virus is spreading everywhere now is there really any hope left for containment?

In my opinion, not really. Too much of the world it too poor to do these tests which cost hundreds of dollars each and are far from 100% accurate. People will continue to spread this contagion and some areas will contain it better than others. Unfortunately, that means that it will continue spreading to us from most every direction. US travelers, foreign travelers to the US, border jumpers, maybe via transported products (this is unknown), etc. This thing was never really containable, even with the Chinese heavy-handed containment procedures. America isn't setup for that kind of containment. Correct, it won't kill everyone or even close to that, but it will take a percentage and the expenses both in medical care and in disrupted businesses/jobs will be horrendous. Do the best you can to educate and prepare yourself and your family.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Yes it will.The death rate in 1918 10-20% with only 1/3 of the population infected.

WHO is saying this will infect up to 70%
    The death rate is hovering between 7-11%(not per WHO per Lancet study and others.)
    Average time from ICU admission to death 7 days.Mind you this is with an over whelmed medical system with many of those in ICU having been turned away from medical care many times for lack of room.

It is going to get bad.But we will survive as a species.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes it will.The death rate in 1918 10-20% with only 1/3 of the population infected.

The death rate is hovering between 7-11%(not per WHO per Lancet study and others.)
    Average time from ICU admission to death 7 days.Mind you this is with an over whelmed medical system with many of those in ICU having been turned away from medical care many times for lack of room.

How many confirmed cased in the U.S. (or North America in general) right now?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

It was 16 as of this morning, but it will double with the updated numbers tomorrow morning. We brought back a bunch of infected people from that cruise ship in Japan.

Edit: Just checked and it has been updated to 35 in the US.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

You have to have tests in order to confirm.So far the CDC has tested less than 500,including those repatriated.
    Other than those repatriated the only ones who have thus far been tested traveled to China,or where medical care workers taking care of confirmed cases.With two exceptions,both spouses of infected people who had returned from China.

Can not have positives if you do not test.This morning the CDC again said it was testing those with a travel history to China.

Heck Hawaii is screaming for test kits publicly.They can not test anyone there.
    https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/conversation-covid-19-test-kits-hold-hawaii
    https://www.khon2.com/local-news/ig...e-given-on-when-cdc-testing-kits-will-arrive/

[h=1]Ige says no estimated timeline given on when CDC testing kits will arrive[/h]

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

So you see as a species we will survive.
    This is the planet's way of correcting the destructive virus it has had for a long time now, ie US aka HUMANS.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So you see as a species we will survive.
    This is the planet's way of correcting the destructive virus it has had for a long time now, ie US aka HUMANS.

I do not believe that for one second.
    Why? I have traveled quite a few places.Owned a house and property with the nearest neighbor living full time was 6 miles away,surrounded by forest.
    Most of the human race living in giant mega cities cause this a heck of a lot more than our numbers.China is not even as large as the USA,but has more than 4 times our population.They still have more than 90% of their land not even in use.
    This over population crap is BS.If you understand how little of land the human race actually used it would be easier to understand.It is around 5%...and that includes agriculture,roads,housing,cities,and all use.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Yesterday in Canada's National Post, an article published stated British Columbia had it's sixth case...it was a woman returning from a trip to Iran. Yes, I didn't misspell China. I said Iran.

Aljazeera published an article today saying Iran has had 4 deaths from COVID-19 and currently sits at 18 active cases.

"The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned the window of opportunity to stem the deadly coronavirus epidemic was "narrowing" amid concern about a surge in cases with no clear link to China, including in a range of countries in the Middle East. Lebanon and Israel confirmed their first cases on Friday, while Iran's health ministry reported two more deaths among 13 new cases of the infection, known as COVID-19. That brings the toll in Iran to four and the number of infections to 18."

I've found that watching global news agencies seems to have far more information than our national news agencies. South Korea seems to have reasonably good coverage as do several other countries. This is one of those things that you just have to prepare for as best as you can - what items do you use around the house that would be problematic if you couldn't get more of that item for say 30 to 60 days? Tuck some cash away in a jar, supply of meals or components needed to put together foods you would prefer if you had the flu or something... Think. Plan. Prepare.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It was 16 as of this morning, but it will double with the updated numbers tomorrow morning. We brought back a bunch of infected people from that cruise ship in Japan.

Edit: Just checked and it has been updated to 35 in the US.
    So much for that idea(i thought that as well until just now).WHen I read about the city of Costa Mesa filing a lawsuit against the moving 70 cases there.
    CBS news is the source.https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/02/21/costa-mesa-coronavirus/
    COSTA MESA (CBSLA) – Costa Mesa is trying to block as many as 70 confirmed coronavirus patients from being transferred to the city.
    Federal court papers filed Friday state that the federal government plans to transfer the patients from Travis Air Force Base near Sacramento to the former Fairview Development Center on Sunday.

The city was not informed about the proposed transfer until Thursday night, according to court documents.

CDC whoops forgot about those 70 cases we are trying to move.Guess court can decide this one.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom