Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    For what it's worth.

A note on FREE SPEECH:

INGO = Congress now?

Huh...you really aren't an advocate of Free speech? I am, on every level. Many of the people on this forum are what I like to call "real" Americans. People who understand what liberty is and usually endorse it. I guess I forgot that not everyone is in favor of all American ideals. Not to say that you aren't American or even an advocate of freedom, but obviously, you aren't much on the freedom of speech.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The point, Joe, is that most of it was NOT discussion. They were threads with 1 original post (which is oxymoronic, considering they were copy/pastes from other sites), then dead silence or 3 or 4 posts of parroting from the same 3 or 4 people each time. If anyone, such as myself, attempted to discuss a differing opinion, we were bullied out of the thread quickly by people who would pick apart each & every single word we typed & try to twist them. So, most of the threads were just left alone & not discussed.

Can you really be "bullied" from an internet forum? :rolleyes:

:twocents:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    If I were a mod, I would have an alter ego that I could use to post stuff that would make other posters mad about the mods not removing it. I believe I could have great fun watching people go apoplectic.

This is like watching a Monty Python sketch.

Huh...you really aren't an advocate of Free speech? I am, on every level. Many of the people on this forum are what I like to call "real" Americans. People who understand what liberty is and usually endorse it. I guess I forgot that not everyone is in favor of all American ideals. Not to say that you aren't American or even an advocate of freedom, but obviously, you aren't much on the freedom of speech.
    I would do a little work on what freedom of speech really means before I started spouting about it as if it meant something it doesn't mean. But that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I would do a little work on what freedom of speech really means before I started spouting about it as if it meant something it doesn't mean. But that's just me.

To some of you, it appears to mean "speech you agree with, and the ability to control that speech which you do not agree with."

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The point, Joe, is that most of it was NOT discussion. They were threads with 1 original post (which is oxymoronic, considering they were copy/pastes from other sites), then dead silence or 3 or 4 posts of anti-Islamic rhetoric being parroted from the same 3 or 4 people each time. If anyone, such as myself, attempted to discuss a differing opinion, we were bullied out of the thread quickly by people who would pick apart each & every single word we typed & try to twist them. So, most of the threads were just left alone & not discussed.

+1 for more dramatic, sensationilst language, what is this, MSNBC?

Funny how your tune differs when it's Christianity on the chopping block. The tables are quite literally turned.

Nothing personal, but it's hard to take your hypocrisy seriously. I am not buying your poor excuses for Islamic-friendly PC control of these forums.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    If I were a mod, I would have an alter ego that I could use to post stuff that would make other posters mad about the mods not removing it. I believe I could have great fun watching people go apoplectic.

This is like watching a Monty Python sketch.

I just don't understand peoples concern to have stuff removed in the first place.
    Don't like it?
    1. Let the poster know.
    2. Ignore it and go to the next thread.
    But that is too simple for some. They can't wait to mark the post and create more work for the mods. I'm sure they get all giddy when they find one to mark and almost wet themselves from the excitement of getting a thread closed\removed or a member Banned.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

What does free speech mean to you? I'm not just talking about the First Amendment, but as an American principle, having the right to say what other might not like. I'm genuinely interested in your interpretation of it.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Not sure if anyone else sees it, but I think one of the PM Rats has exposed themselves.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    What does free speech mean to you? I'm not just talking about the First Amendment, but as an American principle, having the right to say what other might not like. I'm genuinely interested in your interpretation of it.

Free speech means exactly what the first amendment says it means. No other right is guaranteed.

You are not free to yell "fire" in a crowded building and cause a stampede.

You are free to call people names, but you are not free from having them knock you on the butt when you do.

That there is about it.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    +1 for more dramatic, sensationilst language, what is this, MSNBC?

Funny how your tune differs when it's Christianity on the chopping block. The tables are quite literally turned.

Nothing personal, but it's hard to take your hypocrisy seriously. I am not buying your poor excuses for Islamic-friendly PC control of these forums.

Please back that accusation up with an example. I'm a Christian myself & I take offense to what you're implying.

My guess is you're just lying to easily dismiss my argument. :rolleyes:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I just don't understand peoples concern to have stuff removed in the first place.
    Don't like it?
    1. Let the poster know.
    2. Ignore it and go to the next thread.
    But that is too simple for some. They can't wait to mark the post and create more work for the mods. I'm sure they get all giddy when they find one to mark and almost wet themselves from the excitement of getting a thread closedremoved or a member Banned.

Right. What I'm getting from all of this:

1) One side wants political correctness and safety where scary topics or "single post threads" are illegal

2) The other side wants freedom and personal responsibility to move on if you don't like something.

When Fenway gets back, he will choose for us :):

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If anyone, such as myself, attempted to discuss a differing opinion, we were bullied out of the thread quickly by people who would pick apart each & every single word we typed & try to twist them. So, most of the threads were just left alone & not discussed.

So, if you can't win an argument, cry until the mods do the dirty work for you? Childish.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    One side wants political correctness

You say PC, I say lack of bigotry.

Discuss Islamic radicals all you want, but stop using the blanket terms; Muslim, Islam, Middle-East, etc.

So, if you can't win an argument, cry until the mods do the dirty work for you? Childish.

I've never gone to the mods about an in-thread argument. Try that strawman on someone else please.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Free speech means exactly what the first amendment says it means. No other right is guaranteed.

You are not free to yell "fire" in a crowded building and cause a stampede.

You are free to call people names, but you are not free from having them knock you on the butt when you do.

That there is about it.

Well, then I think we pretty much agree. We do have the right, as Americans, to say what we wish, with consequences. I'm totally fine with taking a fist to the face for something I say, as long as I can do the same to someone else without facing a lawsuit. I'm an extremely calm person and usually don't get too hot during an in-person debate and I wouldn't resort to violence over a differing opinion...but if someone was verbally harassing me, sure, perhaps a good fist fight is in order. That person still has the right to say whatever he or she wants though, in my opinion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom